Thursday, 13 April 2017

Mini reviews :: Frostblood, The Black Key, Barefoot On The Wind & The Graces




31134210 Publisher: Hachette
Release Date: January 12th 2017
Source: From the Publisher!
Purchase: Mighty Ape / Paperplus
In a land governed by the cruel Frostblood ruling class, seventeen-year-old Ruby is a Fireblood who has spent most of her life hiding her ability to manipulate heat and light - until the day the soldiers come to raid her village and kill her mother. Ruby vows revenge on the tyrannous Frost King responsible for the massacre of her people.

But Ruby's powers are unpredictable...and so are the feelings she has for Arcus, the scarred, mysterious Frostblood warrior who shares her goal to kill the Frost King, albeit for his own reasons. When Ruby is captured by the Frost King's men, she's taken right into the heart of the enemy. Now she only has one chance to destroy the maniacal ruler who took everything from her - and in doing so, she must unleash the powers she's spent her whole life withholding.

Frostblood is set in world where flame and ice are mortal enemies - but together create a power that could change everything.

I actually wasn't expecting much when I started FROSTBLOOD and so was happily surprised when it turned out to be such a good read! This is definitely what I'd call 'light' fantasy, as not only was it very easy to read, it focused alot more on the characters and romance than it did say the world and the plot. I would've liked to know more about the world of the book as the little bits we bits we got told about its history was so interesting.

THE ROMANCE WAS SO CUTE! I felt like I shouldn't have liked it but I enjoyed it so much! I'm such a sucker for hate-love romances and I loved reading the slow burn between Arcus and Ruby.

The humour was excellent! I wasn't expecting the level of snark and sarcasm that FROSTBLOOD delivered which was another nice surprise. Fantasy is my favourite genre but it's not often that I find them laugh out loud funny. I laughed out loud so many times while reading FROSTBLOOD and went back after finishing it just to reread my favourite funny bits.

FAV QUOTE:

  “Face them all like a warrior, whether you are one or not.”


::Thank you HACHETTE for the review copy!::





31144003Publisher: Walker Books Australia
Release Date: October 6th 2016
Source: From the Publisher!
Purchase: Mighty Ape / Paperplus

The third book in Amy Ewing's New York Times bestselling Lone City trilogy, The Black Key is perfect for fans of The Selection and Red Queen.

Violet and the Society of the Black Key are preparing to launch an attack on the royalty, and Violet has a crucial role to play. She must lead the surrogates as they infiltrate the Auction and break down the walls of the Lone City. But with her sister, Hazel, imprisoned in the palace of the Lake, Violet is torn. In order to save her sister, she must abandon her cause and her friends and return to the Jewel.



THE BLACK KEY was a nice end to the LONE CITY trilogy but I still couldn't help feeling a bit disappointed when I'd finished. While good, after being so wowed by the second book in the trilogy, THE WHITE ROSE, I think I was expecting a lot more action and finale then what actually happened

The development of all the characters came full circle which I really enjoyed reading but I thought the romance between Violet and Ash had fizzled. I was never a huge fan of their romance as I felt like it took over the other more interesting parts of the story, but I definitely felt in here that the romance was just not there.

The pacing was better in here then in the other books in the trilogy and I loved the twists and turns that the book took throughout the novel. It did get a bit slow in the middle but the action at the end more than made up for it.

FAV QUOTE:

 "These people are the air I breathe and the blood I bleed. They are my courage. I will not let them down."


  ::Thank you WALKER BOOKS AU for the review copy!::





29235197Publisher: Walker Books Australia
Release Date: September 1st 2016
Source: From the Publisher!
Purchase: Mighty Ape / Paperplus
  
A companion title to Zoƫ Marriott's critically acclaimed Shadows on the Moon, BAREFOOT ON THE WIND is a darkly magical retelling of "Beauty and the Beast" set in fairytale Japan.


There is a monster in the forest...

Everyone in Hana's remote village on the mountain knows that straying too far into the woods is a death sentence. When Hana's father goes missing, she is the only one who dares try to save him. Taking up her hunting gear, she goes in search of the beast, determined to kill it - or be killed herself.

But the forest contains more secrets, more magic and more darkness than Hana could ever have imagined. And the beast is not at all what she expects...


Be warned, the fist few chapters of this book are very, very slow. I kept putting down the book as I couldn't get past the snail-pace of the beginning. However, after you get through the first three difficult chapters, the book becomes so good and definitely worth the struggle in the beginning.

I loved the quirky retelling of BEAUTY AND THE BEAST. I really enjoyed the Japanese setting and I wish more retellings were as different as this one was. I liked the fact the fact that even though the story was obvious a retelling of B&B, it had its own twists and turns to it that made the book fresh and exciting.

Even with the slow and boring beginning I was still going to give the book 4-stars but the ending - the very last page to be exact - let me down a lot. A weird plot twist happened and it did nothing to make the story better and I really wish it had been left out as all it did was raise questions that couldn't be answered because the book ended!

::Thank you WALKER BOOKS AU for the review copy!::




25365584
Publisher: Allen & Unwin
Release Date: September 1st 2016
Source: From the Publisher!
Purchase: Mighty Ape / Paperplus

Everyone said the Graces were witches.

They moved through the corridors like sleek fish, ripples in their wake. Stares followed their backs and their hair.

They had friends, but they were just distractions. They were waiting for someone different.

All I had to do was show them that person was me.


Like everyone else in her town, River is obsessed with the Graces, attracted by their glamour and apparent ability to weave magic. But are they really what they seem? And are they more dangerous than they let on?

This beautifully-written thriller will grip you from its very first page.


Happily surprised! I didn't really know what THE GRACES was about when I started reading it and I think that's the best way to approach this novel. Everything this book hold inside is so unexpected - from the story that crackles and burns with mystery and magic on every page, to the characters and all their secrets, obsessions and selfishness that this book is about.

The writing was also so pretty: full of longing, wistfulness and envy which could've easily made the book a trial to read but somehow in here, it just sucked me into the story more and I couldn't stop reading if I'd tried as it was so addictive.

I've never read a book with a more selfish cast of characters and I absolutely loved that THE GRACES portrayed them in such a way that I loved to hate them but also hated that I loved them. The fact that that's exactly how all the characters feel about each other in the book and how it rubs off onto the reader who's reading about them, made me love the book even more. Absolutely stunning. I can't wait for the second book to see if it's just as good, selfish and mind-breaking as this one was.

 FAV QUOTE:

 “I ate and read my book, this particular kind of fantasy novel that I secretly loved. It was my favorite thing to do– eat and read. The world just shut up for a while.”


::Thank you ALLEN & UNWIN for the review copy!::


HAVE YOU READ ANY OF THESE BOOKS?? WHAT WAS YOUR FAVOURITE AND WHY?? ALSO: FAVOURITE COVER?? (I'D HAVE TO WITH THE GRACES BECAUSE IT SO. DAMN. GORGEOUS. *heart eyes*)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love comments and every single one makes my day! Check back, because I do reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...