Saturday, 10 December 2016

Peggy and Me, Elizabeth and Zenobia & The Book That Made Me :: say those titles ten times fast!


 

33215771


Publisher: Hachette NZ
Release Date: 11th October 2016
Source: From the Publisher!
Purchase: Mighty Ape / Paper Plus
Read it in: 4 hours
Word Rating: HEARTWARMING


The hilarious and heartwarming memoir of Miranda and her life changing dog, the inimitable and most lovable Peggy. 

Hello dear book browser and welcome to Peggy and Me. The story of my life since getting a beautiful Shih-Tzu Bichon Frise cross puppy (I call the breed a Shitty Frise - fun) in the form of Peggy. Some of you may be thinking: "a book about a dog, how totally brilliant, I need hear no more, I'm sold." In which case we should be best friends and go out to tea together, every day. 

Others of you may be thinking: "a book about a dog, how totally mad, she must have officially lost it." In which case I completely understand. For I once viewed dog owners with much suspicion. The way they obsessively talk about their dogs often using voices for them to reply; the way they have a light covering of dog hair all over their clothes and sofas; and worse, an alarming comfort and ease around excrement. But I now get why people become so mad about their hounds. It wasn't instant love I have to admit. 

Getting a puppy when I was at a low ebb in my life wasn't easy - there was a lot of challenging, what I call, dog administration (dog-min), and the humiliating first trip to the vet still haunts me. It's been a bumpy old road, but Peggy has been lovingly by my side through some life changing moments and I wouldn't have coped without her.

AT LAST. Here is not only a book about how fantastic dogs are (a fact known by all dog people but something cat people seem to not understand for reasons I will NEVER understand) but another brilliantly book written by my favourite female comedian and actress of all time, Miranda Hart!

What I really love about Miranda Hart is that not only is her screen comedy hilarious, her book writing is absolutely FULL to bursting with humour as well. PEGGY AND ME also felt quite unique in that there were chapters written from "Peggy's POV", that made the memoir stand out and definitely made for a more amusing read. I did think at times that I didn't need quite AS much of "Peggy's POV" as there was (I wanted more Miranda!), but I still liked it.

Overall, a book full of humorous and jolly (Miranda is rubbing off on me), stories of Miranda and Peggy that left me smiling long after I'd finished it. Be you a dog lover, an unconvinced cat adorer, or just a person looking for a laugh, look no further! This book is for you.


::Thank you HACHETTE NZ for the review copy!::



28052700


Publisher: Text Publishing AU
Release Date: 29th August 2016
Source: From the Publisher!
Purchase: Mighty Ape / Paper Plus
Read it in: 2 hours
Word Rating: DELIGHTFUL


When Elizabeth and her unusual and fearless friend Zenobia arrive at Witheringe House, peculiar things begin to happen.

Especially in the forbidden East Wing.

The flowers and vines of the wallpaper sometimes seem to be alive.

A mirror has a surface like the water of a pond.

And an old book tells a different story after midnight.

Zenobia is thrilled by the strangeness, but Elizabeth is not so bold...

Until she makes a mysterious and terrifying discovery.

ELIZABETH and ZENOBIA is basically a tiny little Middlegrade novel stuffed full to the brim with everything exciting and magical that you can think of. It has one of the most glorious book covers I've ever set eyes on, and which also perfectly suits the story inside.

It's an enchanting mix of fairytale and history that Jessica Miller weaves together very cleverly. Miller writes with an elegant and sweet writing style, that I think no matter your age, you'll enjoy her writing in here. I felt like I was in the middle of a sparkling fairytale while reading it and I LOVED that.

I really enjoyed this lovely little book, but I did feel like I wasn't quite the age group that the book was suited for. It's cute, it's magical and it's utterly delightful, but I did feel like I missed something that kids similar ages to my ten-year-old sister (who I've already pushed this book on!) will get a lot more out of it then I did.

::Thank you TEXT PUBLISHING AU for the review copy!::



30129798
Publisher: Walker Books AU
Release Date: 1st September 2016
Source: From the Publisher!
Purchase: Mighty Ape / Paper Plus
Read it in: 2 1/2 hours
Word Rating: EMOTIVE


A book for book lovers!


The Book That Made Me is a celebration of the books that influenced some of the most acclaimed authors from Australia and the world. Inspirational. Affecting.

A perfect collection of personal stories for book lovers!

Personal stories by fantastic authors such as Markus Zusak, Jaclyn Moriarty, Shaun Tan, Mal Peet, Ambelin Kwaymullina, Simon French, Fiona Wood, Simmone Howell, Bernard Beckett, Ursula Dubosarsky, Rachael Craw, Sue Lawson, Felicity Castagna, Benjamin Law, Cath Crowley, Kate Constable, James Roy, Alison Croggon, Will Kostakis and Randa Abdel-Fattah. Also features black and white cartoons by Shaun Tan!

All royalties from the sale of the book will go to the Indigenous Literacy Foundation. The book will also include the ILF logo and information about the organisation.


THE BOOK THAT MADE ME could not be more perfectly described then as a, "book for booklovers". This book has gone down as my favourite non-fiction novel of 2016 and

I loved just how personal all these author's stories were but even more so, how different they were from each other. No one story was the same and reading about each author's separate experiences with books and reading kept me glued to the page the whole time I was reading.

I also really enjoyed the the different formats that the authors played around with with their stories. Some wrote more essay style stories, one author wrote a list, another a poem, others just scraps or excerpts from personal memories when they were children and what made them love the written word.

All in all, I adored this book, from the first page to the last. I really recommend you find yourself a copy because it is not a book to be missed!


::Thank you WALKER BOOKS AU for the review copy!::


HAVE YOU READ ANY OF THESE BOOKS?? TELL ME YOUR THOUGHTS!

1 comment :

  1. The Book That Made Me sounds WONDERFUL, and I also quite like the sound of Elizabeth and Zenobia. Thanks for the reviews!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments and every single one makes my day! Check back, because I do reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...