Tuesday, 8 November 2016

The Hidden Oracle by Rick Riordon & The Ballroom by Anna Hope :: hilarity and tragedy walked into a blog post...



::Thank you PENGUIN NZ for the review copy!::

I'm so happy that I AM IN LOVE with Riordan's new series! I was really nervous before going into THE HIDDEN ORACLE because I wasn't sure if Riordan would deliver the magic that he's created with all his other books. But I can say hand on heart THE HIDDEN ORACLE is completely different and original from PERCY JACKSON and all the other series that Riordan has written.

I've never NOT liked any of Riordan's characters but here in THE HIDDEN ORACLE I found them especially clever and found a real soft spot in my heart for them! Even though Apollo starts off as a really annoying idiot, he grows so much during the book and in a way that you actually felt he was REALLY learning to be a better person and not just acting that way to get what he wanted. I loved all the other characters featured in here and it was nice meeting new people as well as familiarizing myself with the old ones as well.

It's also very, very funny! I think of all Riordan's books I've read, I found this Riordan's funniest. He always writes humour really well but it seemed to particularly shine in here. My favourite quote:


“Nosoi?” Percy planted his feet in a fighting stance. “You know, I keep thinking, I have now killed every single thing in Greek mythology. But the list never seems to end.”
“You haven’t killed me yet,” I noted.
“Don’t tempt me.”

A hilarious new addition to Rick Riordan's world of mythical Gods and monsters! I can't wait to see where Apollo's adventures and wit lead next in the future books of the Apollo series to come.


26881488

Publisher: Penguin NZ
Release Date: May 3rd 2016
Source: From the Publisher!
Purchase: Mighty Ape / Book Depository / Amazon
Read it in: 5 hours
Word Rating: HILARIOUS


How do you punish an immortal?

By making him human.

After angering his father Zeus, the god Apollo is cast down from Olympus. Weak and disorientated, he lands in New York City as a regular teenage boy. Now, without his godly powers, the four-thousand-year-old deity must learn to survive in the modern world until he can somehow find a way to regain Zeus's favour.

But Apollo has many enemies - gods, monsters and mortals who would love to see the former Olympian permanently destroyed. Apollo needs help, and he can think of only one place to go . . . an enclave of modern demigods known as Camp Half-Blood.



::Thank you PENGUIN NZ for the review copy!::

Sweeping and gothic, THE BALLROOM is perfect for readers that are looking for a chilling historical read. Not knowing much about historical asylums, I found this book absolutely riveting but, in the end, utterly tragic.

The main characters of the novel - John, Ella and Charles - are fascinating characters to read about. Their personalities and voices all stand out and none of the characters ever mix into each other. However, while interesting, I found it hard to feel attached to the main characters.

I sympathized for Ella - an inmate - because the reason she was in the asylum was because she threw a brick through a window. This angered me tremendously as it just reminded me again how little control women in general had in those times. I felt sorry for John - another inmate - because he'd been subjected to so much sadness and sorrow. Charles - a doctor - in the asylum interested and horrified me in equal measures. I didn't really feel much for any of them, though, and I liked and loved the minor characters much more.

It should be known before going into it: THE BALLROOM is not a happy book. It's tragic, captivating, cruel and in many places, unfair, but at the same time, portrays a piece of history that isn't much talked about, even though it wasn't that long ago.


26797014
Publisher: Penguin NZ
Release Date: May 1st 2016
Source: From the Publisher!
Purchase: Mighty Ape / Book Depository / Amazon
Read it in: 4 1/2 hours
Word Rating: TRAGIC

Where love is your only escape ....

1911: Inside an asylum at the edge of the Yorkshire moors,
where men and women are kept apart
by high walls and barred windows,
there is a ballroom vast and beautiful.
For one bright evening every week
they come together
and dance.
When John and Ella meet
It is a dance that will change
two lives forever.

Set over the heatwave summer of 1911, the end of the Edwardian era, THE BALLROOM is a tale of unlikely love and dangerous obsession, of madness and sanity, and of who gets to decide which is which.


HAVE YOU READ ONE OR BOTH OF THESE BOOKS?? DO YOU PREFER HISTORICAL FICTION OR FANTASY AS A FAVOURITE GENRE??

1 comment :

  1. I loved The Ballroom. It was such a haunting book. The bit at the beginning where a man's voice is shouting 'Are you going to behave?' gave me chills!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments and every single one makes my day! Check back, because I do reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...