Saturday, 19 November 2016

My Favourite Things About NEVERNIGHT by Jay Kristoff


 29845906
Publisher: Harper Collins
Release Date: August 11th 2016
Source: From the Publisher!
Purchase: Mighty Ape / Book Depository / Amazon
Read it in: 9 hours
Word Rating: BEAUTIFUL & ENCHANTING
Destined to destroy empires, Mia Covere is only ten years old when she is given her first lesson in death.

Six years later, the child raised in shadows takes her first steps towards keeping the promise she made on the day that she lost everything.

But the chance to strike against such powerful enemies will be fleeting, so if she is to have her revenge, Mia must become a weapon without equal. She must prove herself against the deadliest of friends and enemies, and survive the tutelage of murderers, liars and demons at the heart of a murder cult.

The Red Church is no Hogwarts, but Mia is no ordinary student.

The shadows love her. And they drink her fear.

I have been struggling over writing this review for MONTHS. Absolute months, I tell you! Nothing I've tried to write so far seems to have properly show just HOW MUCH I am in love with this wondrous book. I feel SPEECHLESS when I think of this book. The emotions that I feel whenever I think about it don't have enough words in the English language to properly explain how I feel. I've finally decided to just write a list of MY FAVOURITE THINGS ABOUT NEVERNIGHT and explain to you munchkins WHY they are my FAVOURITE THINGS.


I: MIA & MISTER KINDLY

“The last thing you will ever be, girl, is someone's hero.”

Mia is the living embodiment of adorable viciousness. Full of fire, yet so icy cold, I couldn't get over how well Jay created Mia's character: an incredibly cold assassin who is unfussed by the foulest and gruesome deeds and murders, but also, at the end of the day, human with an incredibly fiery, and emotional spirit. If you loved Lada from AND I DARKEN, then you will love Mia even more.

Then there's Mister Kindly...and well... BE STILL MY BEATING HEART. I hate all cats, fictionally or otherwise, but oh my goodness, how I loved Mister Kindly. He provided not only wonderful comic relief but the friendship he and Mia had between them, as well as the emotional support he was always there to give her when she needed it, was beyond lovely.



II: THE OTHER CHARACTERS


“Mia stayed where she was, distrust plain in her eyes.I've got tea, Mercurio sighed. And cake.” 
The girl covered her growling belly with both palms.. . . What kind of cake?
The free kind.

The rich cast of characters in NEVERNIGHT is so astonishing. I loved how every single character had their own rich personality and backstory and they never, EVER felt similar to each other or boring or not...real. Each of the characters in here just felt so real, that it was odd to finish the book and remember that the people in here weren't real but actually made-up.
 

III: THE GORGEOUS WRITING

“The books we love, they love us back. And just as we mark our places in the pages, those pages leave their marks on us. I can see it in you, sure as I see it in me. You're a daughter of the words. A girl with a story to tell.”

I'm fully aware that there are two opinions when it comes to Jay's writing in NEVERNIGHT: You either loved it, or you hated it. Of all the reviews I've read on NEVERNIGHT, every opinion on the writing has been one of the two.

I was worried that I would be one of the latter, but instead I found Jay's writing so gorgeous it made me want to cry in places. Plus, there's also the fact that when I wasn't feeling like bursting into tears over how beautiful I found the writing, I was green to the tips of my toes with envy because I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO WRITE LIKE THAT. Sobbbbb.



IV: THE HUMOUR

 “Though she knew she should probably be frightened at the sight, instead Mia took a deep breath, combed her fingers through her air, and stepped out of the alley, right into a slop pile of what she hoped was mud.*
______
* It was not mud. Alas.”

I laughed so much while I read NEVERNIGHT. I think without the humour, the book would have been very heavy and definitely not the same. But NEVERNIGHT overflows with wit and sly sarcasm that had me giggling often and I still smile when I think about my favourite humourous parts.





V: THE MAGIC AND TRICKERY

“You'll be a rumor. A whisper. The thought that wakes the bastards of this world sweating in the nevernight.”

NEVERNIGHT was shouted for months in advance as a 'DARK HOGWARTS,' and I cannot tell you how skeptic I was about that. NOTHING, could ever become close to creating something even close to what Hogwarts holds, I thought, and while I was still dreadfully excited for the book, I was fully prepared to be let down. HOWEVER LET DOWN I WAS NOT.

It was probably almost my favourite part of the whole book, just how magical the world and settings were in NEVERNIGHT. And the mischief!! Considering that a lot of the characters in here were fighting to be the top assassin, the book definitely wasn't as serious as you'd think it'd be.




VI: THE STORY ITSELF

 “When all is blood, blood is all.”

I can safely say hand on heart that I have NEVER read a fantasy book like this before, OR found it similar at all to any fantasy books I've (ever?) read. I think the fact that NEVERNIGHT dances gracefully across a fine line between being an upper YA book to an adult book makes it extremely approachable for quite a wide audience.

Dark and merciless, NEVERNIGHT is edged with gore and wit and filled with a fantastical, INCREDIBLE story that is a monster within itself. It is, overall, an absolute MIRACLE of a book. It's easily the best book I've read in 2016, but also one of the best books I've read in MY LIFE.


:: Thank you HARPER COLLINS NZ for the review copy!!::
 
TELLLLLL MEEE: HAVE YOU READ NEVERNIGHT?! PLEASE TELL ME YOU HAVE! I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW IF YOU LOVED IT OR HATED IT AND WHYYYYY. 
ALSO! WHAT WAS THE LAST BOOK THAT GAVE YOU A MASSIVE BOOK HANGOVER??

4 comments :

  1. I haven't read this book yet, but I think it is so great that you liked it so much that even just writing a blog post about it was hard to do. It is so great to read a book that you enjoy that much! Love the review and I will keep an eye out for this one at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I need to get my hands on this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a Hogwarts fan, I am also skeptical. But at the same time, very hopeful! I've got this book stashed away - thanks for reminding me that I HAVE to read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read a lot about it, but haven't picked it up yet. I'll be hardpressed not to get it after reading your review :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments and every single one makes my day! Check back, because I do reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...