Saturday, 12 November 2016

Disruption & Corruption by Jessica Shirvington :: an original and killer dystopian duology


OH, do I have an utterly FANTASTIC dystopian duology to review for you people, today! I find the dystopian genre a real hit and miss, but this dulology - although it had it's problems (helloooo, I find problems with EVERYTHING, remember?!) - was utterly perfect and original in a way that I hardly ever find in the dystopian genre these days.

Still not convinced?? LOOK AT THE COVERS. My photos* don't do them justice but I assure you the books are worthy for a place on your bookshelves just for the covers alone!

*Thank you younger brother for being my arm guinea pig in these photos because even though I wish I had eight arms when taking book photos, sadly I do not.



27191194
Publisher: Harper Collins
Release Date: July 1st 2016
Source: From the Publisher!
Purchase: Mighty Ape / Book Depository / Amazon
Read it in: 5 hours
Word Rating: FANTASTIC



The heart-stopping first chapter in bestselling author Jessica Shirvington's Disruption series.

What if a microchip could identify your perfect match?

What if it could be used against you and the ones you love?

Eight years ago, Mercer Corporation's M-Bands became mandatory. An evolution of the smartphone, the bracelets promised an easier life. Instead, they have come to control it.

Two years ago, Maggie Stevens watched helplessly as one of the people she loved most was taken from her, shattering her world as she knew it. Now, Maggie is ready. And Quentin Mercer - heir to the M-Corp empire - has become key to Maggie's plan.

But as the pieces of her dangerous design fall into place, could Quentin's involvement destroy everything she's fought for?

In a world full of broken promises, the ones Maggie must keep could be the most heartbreaking.

REVIEW

I have no idea how to start off my review of DISRUPTION because I am such a blathering mess of FEELINGS! I have so many things to say! So many things to scream in capslock about how much I loved about this duology!!

I'll be honest, I didn't expect to love and adore DISRUPTION AND CORRUPTION as much as I thought I would! Like, I was excited for them, yes! But my track record with the dystopian genre is not stellar and so it's safe to safe I went in with mediocre expectations.

So Ella, why did you love these books so?! WELL I WILL TELL YOU, EAGER BOOKWORM, CALM YE HORSES. I loved this duology because it takes an average genre and an idea that could be really cliché and then gives it a really unique twist and puts it in a completely original setting!

Maggie the main character is an edgy and extremely refreshing heroine who I loved immediately, her determination and stubbornness to get revenge on the M-Corp empire and how she planned to go about it made me admire her so much. I had so much respect for Maggie, and even though she definitely wasn't perfect, her faults made her more human and real!

There's also an excellent cast of other characters to boot, including Maggie's frenenemy Gus (WHO IS BASICALLY MY EVERYTHING AND MY FAVOURITE THING OF BOTH BOOKS!!!! <3 <3 <3) who's a hacker and helps Maggie with her mission, albeit reluctantly, because Gus and Maggie hate each other at first BUT THEN IT TURNS INTO THE BEST FRIENDSHIP EVER. Then there's Quentin who I adored probably even more than Maggie because HE IS SO LOVELY. I just really loved all the characters, okay?? And my babies were not treated nicely in either books so sometimes I found it hard to read when it looked like all my favourites were going to die JUST ROUND THIS CORNER.

The storyline had me racing through book like wildfire, always on tenterhooks BECAUSE EVERYTHING WAS ALWAYS HAPPENING AT ONCE OMG. Also, the plot twists and cliffhanger to end all cliffhangers made a piece of my bookish soul WITHER AND DIE.

Hand on heart, THE ENDING KILLED ME!!! I feel like I'm normally good at guessing the big *plot twist* in a book but I honestly was completely blindsided by the plot twist at the end of DISRUPTION. PLUS THAT ENDING! Obviously Jessica Shirvington doesn't know that a bookworm's heart (mine in particular) can only take so much and my poor heart was pretty much in weak, stringy tatters by the time I reached the last page. It should be illegal to end a book like that. No book cliffhanger will ever come close to topping DISRUPTION's, I can tell you that now.

Overall, DISRUPTION was pretty much perfect for me in every way! I loved every single thing about it and found pretty much no faults with it at all. Basically: JUST READ IT. This series is so under talked about in the book community and I would love to see more hype around it!


::Thank you HARPER COLLINS NZ for the review copy!::



28113719

Publisher: Harper Collins
Release Date: July 1st 2016
Source: From the Publisher!
Purchase: Mighty Ape / Book Depository / Amazon
Read it in: 6 hours
Word Rating:TERRIFIC


The thrilling finale to bestselling author Jessica Shirvington's Disruption series.

How do you live with yourself when you've deceived the one you love?

How do you move on when the person you've been fighting to save betrays you?

Two years ago, Maggie Stevens began the hunt. Four weeks ago, Maggie's world fell apart, when she finally found what she'd been looking for. And when Quentin, who had blindly trusted her, unraveled her web of lies.

Now, Maggie lives in the dark. But she's not about to stay there. Not when she still has to bring M-Corp down. Not when there is still a chance she could win him back.

In the exhilarating conclusion to Disruption, Maggie must do whatever it takes to show the world the truth. And the price for her quest? Everything.

But for who?


REVIEW

I am so, SO glad that I had CORRUPTION right beside me when I finished DISRUPTION! I was a complete MESS over the ending of DISRUPTION and if I hadn't had CORRUPTION right on hand when I'd finished it...the situation wouldn't have been pretty.

Sadly, even though CORRUPTION was an amazing sequel and delivered on many levels, I didn't love it as much as I did DISRUPTION. Stuff went down in here!! Just as not as much stuff as I felt went down in DISRUPTION. Still! Action! Adventure! Feeeeeeels! MY FAVOURITE CHARACTERS AKA BABIES DYING. I was not okay when I finished CORRUPTION, I can tell you that.

Things I did love: The fact that CORRUPTION started off pretty much EXACTLY where DISRUPTION ended! I LOVE IT when series do that! Especially with the state that DISRUPTION ended on with that HORRIBLE cliffhanger of an ending, carrying right on with that tension and excitement that DISRUPTION ended on!

I loved that Maggie obviously had PTSD in here. It frustrates me SO much in books where characters go through major trauma but then are absolutely fine afterwards as if nothing serious happened. To see Maggie relate and cope with the terrible situations that she'd been put through in both DISRUPTION but CORRUPTION meant I could relate to her so much more as it just made her so much more human!

A tiny bit of a love triangle popped up unexpectedly in CORRUPTION and I have to say: I absolutely hated it. I can't quite put it into words how much I hated it but I will say that it is one of the most clumsy and inelegant "love triangle twists" that I have ever come across and read. IT WAS JUST SO POINTLESS. The fact that it was obvious from the get go that NOTHING was going to come out of it, it was just a, "mwahahaha, lets shock Maggie and the readers alike with this completely out of the blue and not even believable for a split second declaration of love, HAHAHAHAHAHA, they'll love it" reaction. It's safe to say I didn't love it. At. All.

I reallllllly like how this series is just a duology! The whole way CORRUPTION was ended broadcast very clearly that, "HELLO, JUST LETTING YOU KNOW THAT THERE IS NO POSSIBLE REASON TO HAVE A BOOK 3. THIS IS THE END. NOTHING MORE. BYE." And I'm glad about that! (Although I would be happy with a 3rd book just COMPLETELY about Gus and Maggie being adorable and grumpy towards each other. I WOULD TOTALLY BE UP FOR THAT.) I thought the ending could've been a wee bit more tidy and less confusing and rushed, but that's just my opinion!

Maybe because DISRUPTION had the endings of ALL endings, but I found the ending of CORRUPTION extremely anticlimactic, flat rather disappointing. I wanted MORE! It had a really good pace until the very end and then it just got...messy. Things were tied up SO quickly and it just didn't feel very believable. After the high stakes and action that both books held up until then, everything fell...slightly flat. Disappointed? Yes. HOWEVER, looking back, it could've been worse so I'm going to stop complaining and count my blessings that worse things didn't happen!

Yes, I had some problems with both books, particularly CORRUPTION but at the end of the day, this duology is one of the best series (if you can it that??) I've ever read. The twists and turns, the characters and the way you love them, want to be them and relate to them SO much, the action and adventure that raised my blood pressure so high, I'm not sure if it will ever be the same again and just the uniqueness that these two books hold is ASTONISHING. It delivers a story that I've read like no other and I expect I'll never read one similar or at least just not on the par that Jessica Shirvington delivered with this astounding duology.


::Thank you HARPER COLLINS NZ for the review copy!::


FANGIRL WITH ME!! HAVE YOU READ THIS FANTASTIC DUOLOGY??! WHAT WAS THE LAST BOOK OR BOOKS THAT JUST BLEW YOUR MIND AND WHY??

2 comments :

  1. Okay, this kind of reminds me of Matched by Ally Condie? But like a better version I guess. Hmm...

    But I definitely want to read this series! I've been trying to get a copy and reading your review has just made me even more excited to give it a try. Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review!!...will definitely check out this duology:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments and every single one makes my day! Check back, because I do reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...