Tuesday, 19 July 2016

The Book Of Pearl by Timothée de Fombelle :: a beautifully strange fairy-tale

30531757
Publisher: Walker Books AU
Release Date: June 2nd 2016
Source: From the Publisher!
Purchase: Mighty Ape / Book Depository / Amazon
Read it in: 4 hours
Word Rating: STRANGE

A compelling story of a first love that defines a lifetime; perfect for fans of David Levithan, told with the intricate and beautiful writing style of bestselling author Timothee de Fombelle. 

Joshua Pearl is from a world that our own no longer believes in. He knows that his great love is waiting for him in that distant place, but he is trapped in our time. 

As his memories begin to fade, he discovers strange objects, tiny fragments of a story from a long time ago. Can Joshua remember the past and believe in his own story before his love is lost for ever?


REVIEW



The interesting thing about THE BOOK OF PEARL is that it doesn't fit into any genre or age group that I can think of! It's part fairy-tale, part historical fiction, part magical realism, part mystery, part fantasy. It doesn't fit into one genre at all! And there's no specific age group for it either; THE BOOK OF PEARL is ageless and be it a young child or an adult, or something in between.

I did find THE BOOK OF PEARL hard to get into at first. It was a good 100 pages before I was sucked into the story. I think the writing takes a little getting used too as once I was comfortable with it I found reading it much easier.

I loved all the characters in here except the narrator (which was awkward because he's the...narrator). The narrator got on my nerves but apart from him, all the other characters were wonderful and tugged on my heartstrings.

Timothee de Fombelle has such a gift for fairy-tale like storytelling! The writing is stunning and mystique and for most of the novel feels like you're on the edge of a dream not reading a book!

The narration in here was really odd. At times I liked it, but it was quite jarring and for the most part I was either confused over who was narrating the damn book again or annoyed because it was throwing me off my reading pace. I think the whole book would've run smoother if it it had been in third person POV.

THE DESCRIPTIONS OF THE MARSHMALLOWS AND THE MARSHMALLOW SHOP WAS THE BEST PART OF THE BOOK! My mouth watered every time they were mentioned and I don't even like marshmallows!

THE BOOK OF PEARL unfortunately fell a bit flat at the end. It was quite an open ending and I hate open endings. I want closure! Be it good or bad, I want the author to tie up the novel and not leave it to the reader to decide. People that enjoy open endings might like the way THE BOOK OF PEARL ended but it was



::Thank you to Walker Books AU for the review copy!::




HAVE YOU READ ANYTHING BY TIMOTHEE DE FOMBELLE BEFORE? WHAT WAS THE LAST BOOK YOU READ THAT FELT LIKE A FAIRY-TALE??

3 comments :

  1. ADDING TO MY TBR NOWWW - it sounds so good! The thing that especially appeals to me is how it doesn't quite fit into any genre - I think that's a pretty interesting/unique quality I haven't seen in a book yet! Thank you for sharing! <3
    Geraldine @ Corralling Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you liked this book! This is the first that I've heard of it but it sounds like such an original novel. I love that you said that it was kind of a mashup of a whole bunch of different genres. I definitely want to check it out!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you shouldn't judge by the cover as the saying goes, but I saw this and it looked like just my cup of tea! From what you've written it sounds like it too, open endings can go either way with me but I think I might risk it for this one :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments and every single one makes my day! Check back, because I do reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...