Sunday, 17 July 2016

Ruined by Amy Tintera :: riveting and addictive and where is the second book?!


28562419
Publisher: Allen & Uniwn
Release Date: May 1st 2016
Source: From the Publisher!
Purchase: Mighty Ape / Book Depository / Amazon
Read it in: 5 hours
Word Rating: RIVETING


Emelina Flores has nothing. Her home in Ruina has been ravaged by war; her parents were killed and her sister was kidnapped. Even though Em is only a useless Ruined - completely lacking any magic - she is determined to get revenge.

Her plan is simple: She will infiltrate the enemy's kingdom, posing as the crown prince's betrothed. She will lead an ambush. She will kill the king and everyone he holds dear, including his son.

The closer Em gets to the prince, though, the more she questions her mission. Her rage-filled heart begins to soften. But with her life - and her family - on the line, love could be Em's deadliest mistake.
REVIEW


What a frabjous surprise! I did not in a million years expect RUINED to be this good! I was looking forward to reading RUINED, but in the vague, "I don't really know anything about it so I'm not expecting much," way. I'd also seen heaps of negative reviews of it like everywhere, so I went into RUINED not expecting to be blown away but guess what?? This book = ABSOLUTE BRILLIANCE.

IT WAS SO ADDICTIVE!!! My eyes were glued to the page and I could NOT pull myself away!! I could've gone to see fireworks but I turned it down so I could read RUINED instead. I haven't read anything by Amy Tintera before but her writing style is flawless.


The humour was GOLD. Like seriously, I haven't laughed OUT LOUD over a fantasy read in so long! Fantasy is my favourite genre but it isn't often funny. RUINED however is absolutely bursting with sarcasm, dry wit and snark and it just makes the book even better.


I loved all the characters far to much! Em the main character was awesome! Cas the love interest and adorable prince was awesome! They both worked together so well and EEEEP. I'm so excited to see how their romance works out in the next book!



OH MY GOD THAT ENDING!!! *cries and weeps forever* I NEED THE SECOND BOOK NOWWW! I hate cliffhangers in books as in my experience they can cheapen the story, but RUINED nails it PERFECTLY. I was on the last page going "NO, NO, NO, NOOOOO," so many times as I wanted to know what happened desperately but also wanted to stop reading because the book was almost over! And then when I did finish it...I WANTED TO CRY. *sniffles*


The only things I had problem with is that there wasn't really any world building. I however didn't realize that fact until after I'd finished RUINED but when I was sitting down and thinking about it after I'd finished it I realized that there was actually none.


Oh, and I am unfortunately NOT a fan of the AU cover of RUINED. The US one is pretty but the AU one...not so much. The model on it scares me as she seems to be giving me a death stare from all angles of the book no matter where I put it AND IT CREEPS ME OUT. THE FONT IS NICE THOUGH.



 

::Thank you Allen & Unwin for the review copy!::
Actual rating 4.5!

HAVE YOU READ RUINED??!! (IF YOU HAVEN'T YOU ARE NOW AREN'T YOU?!) DID YOU THINK THAT THERE WAS A DISTINCT LACK OF WORLD BUILDING LIKE ME OR THAT EVERYTHING WAS PERFECT?? WHAT WAS YOUR LAST 4.5 STARS READ??

7 comments :

  1. I'VE HEARD SUCH GOOD THINGS ABOUT THIS BOOK SO I'LL DEFINITELY BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR IT! GREAT REVIEW!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this from the library right now! I'm glad it seems so good. I finished A Gathering of Shadows a few days ago, and it was 4.5 stars. I actually really like the Australian cover-- the same illustrator did the ah-maz-ing editions of my favourite books, The Old Kingdom series. thanks for reviewing!
    Shanti @Virtually Read

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, Ruined sounds so good! I totally agree - it can be hard to find humor in fantasy books - but it's so good that Ruined made you laugh! Definitely will have to check it out! Thanks for sharing :)
    Geraldine @ Corralling Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. YESSS I LOVED THIS BOOK SO SO MUCH OMG. It's completely underrated too, I think!! And it's funny that you say there was no world building because I actually thought it was solid world building.πŸ˜‚ HAHAH BOOKS ARE SO SUBJECTIVE IT'S WEIRD. ahem. *composes self* But omg Cas though. <333 Cas' sass levels were beyond brilliant. I LOVED THIS BOOK. I NEED THE SEQUEL.
    Someone save us all from Olivia. 😳😱😳😱

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds fantastic! I like that there's quite a lot of humour in them, given that it's quite a dark plot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO GOOD, RIGHT? I completely agree with everything you've said here. The characters, the romance, and the action were all blended together perfectly. So glad you enjoyed this as much as I did and, as always, fabulous review! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't expect much from Ruined either when I read it, but I had seen mixed reviews, so it kinda made sense. Just like you, I found it so addicting and read it in a matter of hours. I was totally sold on the romance and I wasn't expecting that, but THE FEELS, okay? And yup, barely any world-building which totally annoyed me, but every girl was badass so I can forgive it a little, I guess? Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments and every single one makes my day! Check back, because I do reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...