Monday, 11 July 2016

13 Minutes by Sarah Pinborough & The Girl From Everywhere by Heidi Heilberg :: beautiful covers, but...

26842622
Publisher: Hachette
Release Date: February 18th 2016
Source: From the Publisher!
Purchase: Mighty Ape / Book Depository / Amazon
Read it in: 5 1/2 hours
Word Rating: FLAT


I was dead for 13 minutes.

I don't remember how I ended up in the icy water but I do know this - it wasn't an accident and I wasn't suicidal.

They say you should keep your friends close and your enemies closer, but when you're a teenage girl, it's hard to tell them apart. My friends love me, I'm sure of it. But that doesn't mean they didn't try to kill me. Does it?




 REVIEW

Even though this book was a web of murder and mayhem and a plot line so tangled and intricate, a spider would be envious of it, I don't really have much to say about 13 MINUTES. I admired it, but I didn't really like it and that is basically all my thoughts on it. It has a gorgeous cover that I liked more then what lay between the covers and um, that is it?
 
All the relationships in here are as complex as a spider web/spider doing origami. NOTHING IS AS IT SEEMS. Seeing how the group of girls in here acted and behaved; old friends, new friends, enemies and non-enemies etc, made me think about my own relationships with friends and people around me. How well do I know the people around me??? How well do they know me??? How would I act if I was in some of the situations that the characters were in?? *brain implodes* IT WAS VERY STRESSFUL BUT MADE ME THINK. Thinking is good! And this book made me think really hard after I'd finished it.

Even though a lot of things happened in 13 MINUTES it felt like nothing was really happening at the same time. Until the end and then WOWWWWW. I gasped. I gaped. I shouted, "NO!!!" and clutched the book tight like that could maybe change what I'd just read. It was also really needed because up until that point, it was very boring and and quite malicious in places.

If you want a psychological thriller, READ THIS BOOK! If you don't like psychological thrillers or you want to have a good night's sleep and not spend it thinking about humanity, maybe skip 13 MINUTES this time round.


::Thank you Hachette for the review copy!::



25950053 Publisher: Allen & Uniwn
Release Date: May 3rd 2016
Source: From the Publisher!
Purchase: Mighty Ape / Book Depository / Amazon
Read it in: 4 hours
Word Rating: HALF-GLORIOUS

It was the kind of August day that hinted at monsoons, and the year was 1774, though not for very much longer.


Sixteen-year-old Nix Song is a time-traveller. She, her father and their crew of time refugees travel the world aboard The Temptation, a glorious pirate ship stuffed with treasures both typical and mythical. Old maps allow Nix and her father to navigate not just to distant lands, but distant times - although a map will only take you somewhere once. And Nix's father is only interested in one time, and one place: Honolulu 1868. A time before Nix was born, and her mother was alive. Something that puts Nix's existence rather dangerously in question...

Nix has grown used to her father's obsession, but only because she's convinced it can't work. But then a map falls into her father's lap that changes everything. And when Nix refuses to help, her father threatens to maroon Kashmir, her only friend (and perhaps, only love) in a time where Nix will never be able to find him. And if Nix has learned one thing, it's that losing the person you love is a torment that no one can withstand. Nix must work out what she wants, who she is, and where she really belongs before time runs out on her forever.


REVIEW


I have been meaning to read THE GIRL FROM EVERYWHERE since January this year, and every month it's been on my TBR and every month I kept forgetting to just. get. round. to it. BUT! It was June 30th and I said to myself, "Ella, this book has been out for FOREVER now, AND IT NEEDS TO BE VANQUISHED PROPERLY OFF THAT TBR PILE ONCE AND FOR ALL." So I pulled out my magic reading cape, sat down and managed to gobble it up in spurts over two days.

In frank: THE GIRL FROM EVERYWHERE is half glorious and half...not so glorious. (Oh, look how intelligent that sentence looks. aHHAHAHAHAh.) It holds so many new and interesting elements that I've never come across before in YA and I LOVED that! But the love triangle really dragged down what was amazing about the book and I didn't like it as much because of it.

The writing was to info-dumpy for me at times. At times, this made the book really interesting but others it was so frikken boring, I wanted to throw my copy out the window and do a dance of
hallelujah on my desk. The interesting descriptions mostly outweighed the bad, though, which was good! Just at times, I struggled.

The love triangle...I DID NOT LIKE. AT ALL. It was so criiiiiiiiiiiingy. The fact that it was such a wishy-washy love triangle too, with both love interests acting like limp seaweed at times, AND the fact that it was obvious throughout the novel who Nix really liked.

ALSO WHOOP FOR THIS BEING A DUOLOGY! NOT! A! TRILOGY! (I am sick of trilogies, sick of them.) ALSO THE COVER HAS RECENTLY BEEN REVEALED (I think, because I seem to miss EVERYWHERE cover reveal OF EVER on the internet and it is something that pains and aggravates me greatly.) AND IS IT NOT BEAUTIFUL?? (Although I am biased and am looking forward to the Hot Key version a bit more, I confess. Ahem. #biased.)


 2197983230653880
 (I think I prefer the 1st book's cover more...BUT TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK AND WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE!

 

::Thank you Allen & Unwin for the review copy!::
 


 HAVE YOU READ ANY OF THESE BOOKS?? WHICH HAS YOUR FAVOURITE COVER??

3 comments :

  1. Aww...sorry this were a bit mediocre Ella. :( I can completely see where you're coming from though. I felt the same way about The Girl from Everywhere, which is a shame because the concept was so great. :( Thanks for sharing though and, as always, fabulous reviews! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you didn't really enjoy both of these! I actually really enjoyed 13 Minutes - I thought it was so exciting with all the twists, I loved how we couldn't trust anyone. The ending blew my mind! I haven't read TGFE yet, but I've heard loads of people saying the same things as you so now I don't know if it will be for me <3

    Denise | The Bibliolater

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like what I've read by Sarah Pinborough, so it's disappointing to hear that 13 Minutes falls a bit flat. You're right about the cover though, it's lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments and every single one makes my day! Check back, because I do reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...