Monday, 18 April 2016

The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black :: hand me a spoon and i'll eat the writing

20875019
Publisher: Hachette
Release Date: January 12th 2016
Source: From the Publisher!
Purchase: Mighty Ape | Book Depository | Amazon
Read it in: 3 hours
Word Rating: MAGNIFICENT
Children can have a cruel, absolute sense of justice. Children can kill a monster and feel quite proud of themselves. A girl can look at her brother and believe they’re destined to be a knight and a bard who battle evil. She can believe she’s found the thing she’s been made for.

Hazel lives with her brother, Ben, in the strange town of Fairfold where humans and fae exist side by side. The faeries’ seemingly harmless magic attracts tourists, but Hazel knows how dangerous they can be, and she knows how to stop them. Or she did, once.

At the center of it all, there is a glass coffin in the woods. It rests right on the ground and in it sleeps a boy with horns on his head and ears as pointed as knives. Hazel and Ben were both in love with him as children. The boy has slept there for generations, never waking.

Until one day, he does…

As the world turns upside down, Hazel tries to remember her years pretending to be a knight. But swept up in new love, shifting loyalties, and the fresh sting of betrayal, will it be enough?


REVIEW

"Once, there was a girl who vowed she would save everyone in the world, but forgot herself."


Oh, how I love this book! From the first page in, I was completely and utterly sucked into the excitement of the adventure that THE DARKEST PART OF THE FOREST holds. And I was terribly, terribly sad to leave when the book finished!

Holly Black's writing is so gorgeous it reads like honey dripping off a spoon. It's dreamlike and tranquil but manages to keep you on your toes at the same time and just AHHHH! I could've eaten it, it was so delicious.


"Children can have a cruel, absolute sense of justice. Children can kill monsters and feel quite proud of themselves."


The characters are so full of soul and feeling and by the end of the book I felt like the characters were FAMILY. I wanted to give all the characters a squishy hug throughout TDPOTF but also a smack sometimes because GRRRR some of the decisions they made, while they were selfless and were meant for good but were so stupid and frustrating at the same time!

I loved how on edge I felt the whole time! The twists and turns in here, as well as the action-packed adventure made for an absolutely nail biting read although the tranquil writing soothed the pace down a little which was something I really enjoyed. It was an excellent mix!




Basically this book is absolutely full to the brim with magnificence. From the stunning writing that pours through the book like witty honey, to the characters that grab your heart and don't let go, to the story, the adventure, that stays in your mind long after you've finished it.


"We love until we do not. For us, love doesn't fade gradually. It snaps like a branch bent too far."


::Thank you Hachette for for the review copy!::



WHAT BOOKS HAVE YOU READ WHERE THE WRITING IS SO BEAUTIFUL YOU WANT TO EAT IT?? I WOULD LOVE RECOMMENDATIONS! AND HAVE YOU READ THE DARKEST PART OF THE FOREST? WHAT DID YOU THINK OF IT?!

7 comments :

  1. THIS SOUNDS AMAZING. For some reason I hadn't been persuaded to pick it up before reading this review, but you've really convinced me Ella! It sounds absolutely fantastic, and how can I miss an opportunity to read such beautiful writing? Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to read this now! I am such a sucker for beautiful writing. I'll Give You the Sun, All the Light We Cannot See, lots of classic books are all packed with gorgeous sentences. I love when books not only carry the story, but carry it with artful literary choices.

    Great review!
    Kate @Read and Dream

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic review! I have had this book on my shelf for soooooo long now and I haven't got to it. You are making me really regret that. I definitely need to get to this asap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For some reason I hadn't been persuaded to pick it up before reading this review, but you've really convinced me Ella! It sounds absolutely fantastic, and how can I miss an opportunity to read such beautiful writing?
    State of Origin 2016 Live

    ReplyDelete
  5. Plz post! We missing ya

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, this sounds magnificent Ella! I've only read her middle grade series so far, and can't believe I haven't tried any of her young adult releases yet. I love lyrical writing, especially when it draws you into a storyline so completely. The only other author who's captured my attention so entirely has been Jandy Nelson. I'm pretty sure I actually have a copy of this one on my shelves somewhere, so excited to read it now! Wonderful review Ella and so glad you enjoyed it <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. i downloaded the ebook of this the other day, i can't wait to read it. it looks so good. i've never read a book by this author but i've only heard good things. im glad you liked it! and great review!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments and every single one makes my day! Check back, because I do reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...