Tuesday, 15 March 2016

Summer Skin by Kirsty Eager :: AHHHHHHH THIS BOOK

26211610
Publisher: Allen & Unwin
Release Date: February 1st 2016
Source: From the Publisher!
Purchase: Mighty Ape | The Book Depository | Amazon
Read it in: 4 hours
Word Rating: WONDROUSLY AMAZEBALLS


Jess Gordon is out for revenge. Last year the jocks from Knights College tried to shame her best friend. This year she and a hand-picked college girl gang are going to get even.

The lesson: don't mess with Unity girls.

The target: Blondie, a typical Knights stud, arrogant, cold . . . and smart enough to keep up with Jess.

A neo-riot grrl with a penchant for fanning the flames meets a rugby-playing sexist pig - sworn enemies or two people who happen to find each other when they're at their most vulnerable?

It's all Girl meets Boy, Girl steals from Boy, seduces Boy, ties Boy to a chair and burns Boy's stuff. Just your typical love story.

REVIEW

What an absolutely wonderful surprise SUMMER SKIN turned out to be! I'd heard a lot of praise for it before I dived in, but whatever I was expecting, I didn't expect this. Everything about this book was so fresh and crunchy and different from any other contemporary I've read before!

The characters in here were AMAZING. I loved the utter mixed bag they all were, with their different personalities that you could NOT mistake any of them for each other! And the writing! The writing was so absorbing...I haven't felt so sucked into a story in such a long time! I never wanted it to end it was so absolutely brilliant. <3

While I had complications with the romance I thoroughly enjoyed how REAL it was. I loved watching Mitch's character grow, and I especially enjoyed how Eager made him change because he wanted to not because Jess made him.

I adored the Uni aspects of SUMMER SKIN. Although saying that...I would've like more???!! Because while we had the fantastic story and uni life(ish), I would've liked to see the characters doing more studying. But that's just my opinion!

One of my favourite parts of the book was the FEMINISM. It was abound and it was GLORIOUS. I loved every second of it and how it was entwined around the story! There was also not a DROP of slut-shaming which is something I don't think I've NOT come across here or there in a YA book for so long. It was so refreshing and made me admire the author even more of her writing abilities but also her sense.

I also loved how well the ending tied up everything!! It was incredibly satisfying but REAL at the same time. It wasn't a, "everyone lives happily ever after and nothing bad or terrible ever happened again" ending, it was just RIGHT. And I could totally see it happening in real life.

I'm so picky about Contemporaries but SUMMER SKIN just hits the jackpot of everything amazing that Contemporary fiction can bring to YA. This is definitely going down as one of my new favourite contemporaries OF EVER.

SUMMER SKIN is a really excellent addition to the NA genre! And I'm so glad! If more books like this turned up in the NA market you can bet your rainbow coloured socks that I would be snatching them before they the shelves!

Definitely one of my favourite reads of 2016! It's wonderful, it's absorbing and it's like stuffing a whole block of chocolate in your gob and having no ill after effects afterwards. I'm now off to find and gobble up read all of Eager's other books pronto!



::Thank you Allen & Unwin for the review copy!::



I think I've squawked about this book long enough...your turn! Have you read SUMMER SKIN? Yay or Nay?? And what are your thoughts on the NA genre?? What do you think writers could do to make it a bit different??


2 comments :

  1. I've heard such amazing things about this book!!! I love contemporaries and I love books that deal with feminism so YES PLEASE AND THANK YOU. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is your skin nice summer skin?? 'Cause I can't see it!!! :O

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments and every single one makes my day! Check back, because I do reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...