Tuesday, 1 March 2016

Passenger by Alexandra Bracken :: time travel, history and adventure <-- YES THIS IS AN ELLA BOOK


27429432
Publisher: Harper Collins
Release Date: January 25th 2016
Source: From the Publisher!
Purchase: Mighty Ape | The Book Depository | Amazon
Read it in: 6 hours
Word Rating: ADDICTIVE!


Etta Spencer is a violin prodigy. When tragedy strikes and a mysterious power tied closely to her musical abilities manifests, Etta is pulled back through time to 1776 in the midst of a fierce sea battle.

Her capture was orchestrated by the Ironwoods, the most powerful family in the Colonies. Nicholas Carter, handsome, young, prize master of a privateering ship, has been charged with retrieving and delivering her to the family - unharmed.

Etta learns her fate is entwined with an object of untold value from her past. Ironwood is desperate to secure his future, but Etta must find it first in order to return home. Embarking on a perilous journey across centuries and continents, piecing together clues left behind from a mysterious traveller, the true nature of the object and Ironwood's dangerous game, could mean the end for Nicholas and Etta ...

REVIEW

I am sooooo happy to say I enjoyed this book! PASSENGER is so hyped and definitely one of THE most anticipated YA timey wimey travel books of 2016 and I'm really pleased that I wasn't left the black sheep which I normally am and instead could happily board the, "I-love-this-book" train baaing happily with all of my other white sheepy friends instead of being chased with flaming pitchforks for once!

Character wise this book concentrates on two characters the most which are Etta and Nicholas. We see a whole cast of other interesting characters but the novel focuses on Etta and Nicholas running around like headless chickens desperately trying to find a way to save Etta's mother and find a device called the astrolobe which they have to give to a bad guy called Cyrus Ironwood in a certain amount of days or he will kill Etta's mother who he is keeping prisoner.

BUT the astrolabe is basically the end of the world for time travel peeps because if Cyrus gets his hands on it he will basically be able to control time itself with an IRON thumb (GET IT??! HAHAHA I'M HILARIOUS). I've purposely made my description of the book annoyingly vague in the hopes that this will make you frustrated and curious enough to read it if you haven't yet!

Can we talk about the SETTINGS?! For that was truly my favourite part! I am a massive history buff as lots of you know already from all the raving I've done over historical fiction in the past and PASSENGER really hits the mark in all the places! I haven't had the greatest luck with time travel books in the past, but because PASSENGER focuses on more the places the characters are traveling too (although how people time travel in here is really interesting) and so basically we get treated to all these amazing historical settings and each one is never the same! We get to go to WWII and a bomb goes off! We get to go to a rain forest meet a tiger! We get to go France and...do stuff I can't remember doing! We get to go to a desert and look at tombs and ride camels called Daisy! Basically YAY for all the history because it made my heart squee!

What also helped the historical settings, I think, was that the writing was really good. It was too descriptive at times, which could make reading it a little boring, but overall all the detail and attention to the places Etta and Nicholas visited was amazing and made reading it feel like you were IN the book and doing everything alongside Etta and Nicholas which was AWESOME.

I'm really excited about the sequel! PASSENGER ended on a real nasty of a cliffhanger and I made that, "NUUUUUGGHH!" sound that Bookworms make when they read a really horrible cliffhanger YOU ALL KNOW WHAT I MEAN) when finishing it because it was truly dreadful and made me want the sequel EVEN more. (And yayyyy, it has a title and a blurb, EXCEPT DON'T READ THE BLURB IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THIS BOOK BECAUSE SPOILERS BIG TIME, but I'm excited!! Here's hoping for an even more gorgeous copy for the second book (which has a really wierd title that I can't pronounce but ANYWAY)!)

"So Ella, why only 4 stars, if you adored it SO much??" Wellllll, that question brings me to the only part of the book that I really had a problem with and that was the INSTALOVE. Etta and Nicholas meet and BAM! They're feeeeeeeling things for each other that they've never felt for anyone else before! *eye roll* And lets not forget the spaaaaark that's between them! *bigger eye roll* That spark was so big I'm really surprised neither of them were electrocuted. >.>

Grumblings aside, I did like Etta's and Nicholas' relationship by the end of the book, I was just disappointed at how fast their romance progressed before that stage in just a matter of days. -_-


I'm really glad I read this book! It took me a while to read and there were times I really wasn't impressed BUT for the other 95% of it, it was exciting, heart pounding, addicting and just a really good read. yes, it had problems, but in here the good overruled the bad by so much more and overall it was a great hearty read. READ IT BASICALLY.

 




::Thank you HARPER COLLINS for the review copy!::



WHAT ARE YOUR VIEWS ON INSTALOVE?! I WANT TO HEAR THEM! ALSOALSO HAVE YOU READ PASSENGER???! I WANT TO HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS ON IT!

16 comments :

  1. Yaaaaay! So glad you liked this one! For me, time travel can either be good... or just plain confusing. I've kinda heard mixed things about this one so I'll go into it tentatively, but I'm very interested to see what I'll think of it. Also, I LOVE that photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kara!! You're my photography queen so that means a lot!! :')

      Delete
  2. Oh I need to read this one SO BADLY!! This one was one of my most highly anticipated books of 2016 and I have read nothing but great things. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to hear what you think once you've read it! I really hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. I actually didn't like this one until later on in the book, lol.

    But yay! I'm glad you enjoyed this one, Ella!

    Also, I am not a sheep. O_O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I'm so glad I loved it in the end though. And YAY you loved it too!!

      Delete
  4. This looks like such a good read - not a typical one for me, granted, but a necessary purchase nonetheless!! Thanks for sharing the review: really glad you enjoyed the book! :D *confetti showers and dance*. I can definitely relate to your distaste towards InstaLove - really not a fan of relationships that fit together right away!

    TT @ Intro To Blurb
    My February Wrap-Up: https://introtoblurb.wordpress.com/2016/03/01/february-wrap-up/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it if you get a chance to read it! :D And YES. Relationships that just *fit* right away are so unrealistic. >.<

      Delete
  5. I NEED THIS BOOK IN MY LIFE. I love the concept of time travel but I've never actually read a time travel book?? How peculiar. I really don't like insta-love but I'll try to look past that because this book just sounds so. freaking. good. GREAT REVIEW! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. YEAH! I am so glad that you liked this so much Ella. :) I completely agree that the time travel aspects were really well-written and that the characters were amazing. Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. I usually don't do instalove, but it doesn't wreck a book for me. I'm glad you're so enthusiastic about Passenger! I thought for awhile that it all might just hype without nothing behind it, but your review makes me excited about this book again. Great post! And if you enjoy historical fiction, a few of my favorites are Madame Tussaud by Michelle Moran, Revolution Is Not a Dinner Party by Ying Chang Compestine and Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly.

    - Eli @ The Silver Words
    #commenting365

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really dislike instalove too! :/ So sad it's part of this novel!
    I actually didn't enjoy reading Passenger so much - I DNF'ed about 50% of the way?
    But I'm glad you enjoyed it a lot - I'll have to try to pick it up again, because I heard it does get a lot more interesting after a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Omg, you review has made me really want to read Passenger now. I love history too, so the whole time travel and historical settings stuff sounds like something I'd enjoy! By the way, I really like your writing... tone? Voice? I'm not sure what the word is, but basically, I think you're a really great writer! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Been super curious about this one so it's nice to read such a positive review. Thanks for heightening my curiosity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Despite mixed reviews for this one, I absolutely loved Passenger! It was my first Alexandra Bracken read and her writing was amazing! Glad to see you loved it too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't really get on with Passenger but I do agree with you about the settings! They were so AWESOME and completely original and I loved it. Also I agree with the instalove thing :/ there were bit where Nicholas and Etta were really sweet but only as single instances, not as an entire relationship, and it just frustrated me that I didn't really understand why they were in love because it was just portrayed as "well OF COURSE they're in love, no explanation needed", if you see what I mean.

    Great review, I really enjoyed reading!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments and every single one makes my day! Check back, because I do reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...