Monday, 11 January 2016

Lady Helen and the Dark Days Club by Alsion Goodma :: could i have a second slice please?!

26066905 Publisher: Harper Collins
Release Date: December 14th 2015
Source: From the Publisher!
Purchase: Mighty Ape | The Book Depository | Amazon
Read it in: 6 hours
Word Rating: DELICIOUS!

London, April 1812. Lady Helen Wrexhall is set to make her debut at the court of Queen Charlotte and officially step into polite Regency society and the marriage mart. Little does Helen know that step will take her from the opulent drawing rooms of Mayfair and the bright lights of Vauxhall Gardens into a shadowy world of missing housemaids and demonic conspiracies.

Standing between those two worlds is Lord Carlston, a man of ruined reputation and brusque manners. He believes Helen has a destiny beyond the ballroom; a sacred and secret duty. Helen is not so sure, especially when she discovers that nothing around her is quite as it seems, including the enigmatic Lord Carlston.

Against a backdrop of whispered secrets in St James's Palace, soirees with Lord Byron and morning calls from Beau Brummell, Lady Helen and the Dark Days Club is a delightfully dangerous adventure of self-discovery and dark choices that must be made ... whatever the consequences.


WHY LADY HELEN AND THE DARK DAYS CLUB IS LIKE EATING CAKE:

IT'S SO RICH. Which also means it's not going to be for everyone. And that's okay! But if you keep in mind that this book is literally the size of cake (it really is), rather slow (which I liked, as I thought it suited the novel) and quite descriptive at times, you're much more likely to enjoy it! I myself had to read it in small doses for the first hundred pages or so, otherwise I started to feel a bit put off, but once I got over the 200-page bump, I couldn't tear myself away and was utterly addicted till the very last page!


THE WRITING IS SO GOOD. I didn't just feel like I was in the story, I felt like I could almost taste the story it was so descriptive and captivating! I really felt like I was in Victorian London and I loved every minute of it. Reading it felt like I was swimming in chocolate. It was slow, especially at the beginning where I went into it not really sure what to expect and was kind of overwhelmed by the slowness and the descriptiveness of it, but once I got used to the writing style, it was plain sailing!


THE CHARACTERS WERE BAKED TO PERFECTION. I loved Helen as she manages to be strong in a place and time where females weren't allowed and were looked down on if they dared to have a backbone! And all the other characters were fleshed out and had their own stories and secrets that made them all stand out from each other as well! I loved Helen's growth throughout The Dark Days Club and I'm excited to see how she continues to grow in the second book!


I WANTED MORE! (And you know all the best cakes leave you wanting more...) There is going to be a second and third book (WHICH I AM SO HAPPY AND RELIEVED ABOUT) but I want them NOW! This did take a while to warm up and really get going and by the end I felt things had really only just started and I was left grinding my teeth for the second book! (Although, supposedly, the second book isn't coming out till 2017 so excuse me while I go and cry a sea of tears.T_T)


::Thank you Harper Collins for the review copy!::



HAVE YOU READ LADY HELEN AND THE DARK DAYS CLUB?! OF YOU HAVEN'T WILL YOU? (ALSO PLEASE DON'T ASK ME TO TYPE THE TITLE AGAIN AS IT MAKES MY HANDS HURT!) AND BEFORE YOU GO TELL ME! WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE BOOK SET IN VICTORIAN LONDON?!

13 comments :

  1. This is the second review I've read today of this book. All I can say is that I'm sold. I need it in my life NOW. Great characters? Count me in. Awesome review, can't wait to get a copy of this <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY!Can't wait to see what you think of it, Kynndra! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm totally down with the feeling of swimming in chocolate, so this is going straight on my TBR list. I'm not entirely sure of historical periods, but I have read and loved SOMETHING STRANGE AND DEADLY (Susan Dennard); CLOCKWORK ANGEL (Cassandra Clare); and THE MADMAN'S DAUGHTER (Megan Shepherd.) Lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT WAS SO YUMMY OMG. Need. The second book. NOW.

      Eeep, I love The Madman's Daughter trilogy so much! Especially the third book. *_*

      Delete
  3. I love how you've got cake analogis all throughout this review! Im not one for hugely long books myself, but this novel sounds great :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! It's truly wonderful! (although I might be biased ;))

      Delete
  4. I read about half of the book but it was just sooo slow that I couldn't get into it, so I dnfed it. I agree the descriptions were really rich and detailed though! Lovely review Ella!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you didn't enjoy it Jeann, but I can definitely see why it's not for everyone! :)

      Delete
  5. Wonderful review. I haven't even heard of this book before.... and now I want to get my hands on it as soon as!!! I am now far too excited to try this, especially since I am sure there might be a sequel coming out soon?!? Possibly, maybe... haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. What was the title Ella? Hang on. CAN YOU JUST TYPE OUT THE TITLE AGAIN? MAYBE TWICE OR 9 TIMES BECAUSE JUST SO I'M SURE WHAT THE TITLE IS?
    *dies laughing at own hilarity*
    ahem.
    Sooo, I HAVE THIS!! ;D And now I really want to read it more than ever! I kind of am dubious about slow books and also HF because I don't do well with either. But. Swimming in chocolate?! SIGN ME UP. I've heard about how meticulously researched this book is and that just astounds and awes me so I have to read it eventually. XD

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't heard of this one, but it sounds SO GOOD. I love historical fiction, so this sounds right up my alley in that regard. And well-written characters are always a plus. ;) Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. *adds on Goodreads immediately* This sounds awesome, and it's very useful to see now because I've been looking for more books set in Victorian London. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved how you compared your reading experience to cake! (like all important experiences should)
    I'm so excited to read this book ARGH I can't even. I haven't read any books set in Victorian London (I FEEL TERRIBLE ABOUT IT OKAY.) so when I heard about this one I was like omfg yes please.
    Thank you for convincing me that I do indeed need this book in my life. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments and every single one makes my day! Check back, because I do reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...