Tuesday, 19 January 2016

3 Reasons Why Thicker Than Water by Brigid Kemmerer Wasn't the Book For Me

23454468
Publisher: Allen & Unwin
Release Date: January 1st 2016
Source: From the Publisher!
Purchase: Mighty Ape | The Book Depository | Amazon
Read it in: 4 hours
Word Rating: NOT FOR ME


Thomas Bellweather hasn’t been in town long. Just long enough for his newlywed mother to be murdered, and for his new stepdad’s cop colleagues to decide Thomas is the primary suspect.

Not that there’s any evidence. But before Thomas got to Garretts Mill there had just been one other murder in twenty years.

The only person who believes him is Charlotte Rooker, little sister to three cops and, with her soft hands and sweet curves, straight-up dangerous to Thomas. Her best friend was the other murder vic. And she’d like a couple answers.

Answers that could get them both killed, and reveal a truth Thomas would die to keep hidden…

WHY THICKER THAN WATER WASN'T THE BOOK FOR ME

1.) The characters were all as bland and flat as a limp piece of bread.

Allll the characters were extremely irritating and needed a good swat with a book in the face. I didn't mind Charlotte as much, but she was still exasperating 98% of the time and I just couldn't get behind the Thomas bandwagon. He was such an angsty angry ball of URGH and I didn't like him. All the characters had the misfortune to be the most unlikeable annoying characters I've read in a long time.

Not liking any of the characters really, made it really hard for me to enjoy the story and so I was almost forcing myself through the book by the end if it.

2.) I could've been reading a novel about carpets there for all the emotion I felt while reading this. 

I felt ZILCH emotion. This is supposed to be a fast paced mystery but the only emotion I felt was frustration that I wasn't enjoying what I was reading. I also thought that it might've worked better if the book had JUST been from Thomas' POV or JUST from Charlotte's POV as duel POVs tend to set my teeth on edge and in here Charlotte and Thomas' voices both sounded the same to me.


3.) It's just not a ME book. 

I've seen SO many people absolutely adore THICKER THEN WATER but I'm just not one of them. And that's okay! Not everyone likes the same book! I'm glad lots of other people have enjoyed it, it just wasn't for me. Maybe if I read it at a different time I'd have felt differently.

::Thank you ALLEN & UNWIN for the review copy!::




WHAT DO YOU THINK OF MORE THEN ONE POV IN BOOKS? LIKEY? DISLIKEY? 

8 comments :

  1. I've seen so many great reviews about this - but after your review, I'm questioning them, because this book sounds seriously bad! For me, I generally like one POV, three at the maximum, because it just gets too confusing sometimes to have multiple POVs.
    Geraldine @ Corralling Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry this one wasn't for you!! I adored Brigid Kemmerer's ELEMENTALS series, so I'm definitely going to give this one a chance :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you didn't enjoy this! I've seen positive reviews about this one so I might still give it a go, but I won't go in with too high expectations.XD I recently read a book that everybody loves and I didn't enjoy it and it's SO frustrating when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww I'm sorry you didn't like this one! I personally loved it. I also really like dual POV, though (most of the time). I can totally see why you wouldn't like Thomas. He IS very angsty and angry, but I don't mind that. Anyway, it really sucks to be disappointed by a book that everyone else seems to love. I've been there countless times.

    ~ Lefty @ The Left-Handed Book Lover

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww...I'm sorry this wasn't your cup of tea Ella. :( I completely see where you're coming from - sometimes a book just isn't for you and there isn't much you can do about it. From the way the you described the characters as bland and the plot as emotionless I don't think this would be for me either. :( Nonetheless, thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. ewww bland characters are the worst. It's so hard to care about anything in the book with such a bland cast. Emotions make a book shine an usually causes whatever happens in the book, without them I fail to see how the story has any impact.... I might stay away from this one. Great review <3

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
  7. God let me tell you
    I had three reactions while reading this
    1. OMG I LOVE IT, DEVOURED IT
    2. UM OKAY I LOVED IT BUT I HAD SO MANY ISSUES
    3. OKAY THE PLOT WAS KINDA OKAY
    God the whole Empath thing pissed me off, Charlotte's brothers pissed me off. The ending was such a cop out
    I went from 4 stars to 3 to 2 and a half lol
    I think i finally gave it 3 and a half

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG I'M CRYING. XDXD A novel about carpets. AHHHHEM. this is hilarious and you're wonderful Ella, and I'm kinda sorry it was such a sucky book for you? But also kind of giggling, so it's not all a loss. xD I requested this one but it never came, so maybe that's a good thing?! I've yet to read the author's first series too, even though I own too. Oops. XD

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments and every single one makes my day! Check back, because I do reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...