Saturday, 2 January 2016

2015 End Of Year Book Survey!

2015-end-of-year-book-survey-1024x984

Happy new year, everybody!! I'm here today to do the End of Year Book Survey which is hosted by Jamie from The Perpetual Page-Turner! I did this survey last year and really enjoyed it which you can see here.

I wanted to have this post up before 2016 began but time got away and here I am now! 2015 was an interesting year reading wise, wonderful bookish things happened like starting to receive physical books from publishers (!!!!!!), but also not so great things happened like falling into what felt like a million horrible reading slumps.

I've omitted some of the questions from Jamie's survey just because otherwise this post would be as long as Mount Kilimanjaro!



reading-stats-2015-1024x278


Number of books you read?

I read 305 books in 2015! I didn't beat 2014's reading record which was 327 books but I had so many unpleasant reads and quite a few reading slumps last year that I'm really surprised that I managed to read so much! My average rating of the year was 3.1 which I'm annoyed about because it's so meh! I want AMAZING reads not meh reads!

Number of Rereads?

Rereading saved my reading soul this year many a times when just the thought of reading made my brain curl up in a ball and cry. HUZZAH FOR THE REREAD! I swear The Blue Castle by Lucy Maud Montgomery made me love reading again a thousand times.

Genre you read the most from?

Probably fantasy, I think? I read a lot of fantasy this year, some I loved, some I wanted to burn after reading them (ha). I really wanted to read more Historical Fiction which is my favourite genre but I just couldn't find anything good or I was too busy reading other stuff. I plan to get back to my beloved HF in 2016 though!
Number Of Books You Read:
Number of Re-Reads:
Genre You Read The Most From: - See more at: http://www.perpetualpageturner.com/2015/12/6th-annual-end-of-year-survey-2015-edition.html#sthash.262pKyjO.dpuf


Number Of Books You Read:
Number of Re-Reads:
Genre You Read The Most From: - See more at: http://www.perpetualpageturner.com/2015/12/6th-annual-end-of-year-survey-2015-edition.html#sthash.262pKyjO.dpuf
Number Of Books You Read:
Number of Re-Reads:
Genre You Read The Most From: - See more at: http://www.perpetualpageturner.com/2015/12/6th-annual-end-of-year-survey-2015-edition.html#sthash.262pKyjO.dpuf

best-YA-books-2014

1. Best Book You Read In 2015?



Best books you read in 2015?

22665177 18516682 20698530 
16096824 23395680 22501055 25532530 23160039 18180495 23784978 19547856 

There a few other honourable mentions but they didn't break my soul like these books did (ESPECIALLY the top three because OMGASDFGHJKL. *bawls*).

Special mention goes to Tremolo by Cait which is a book I beta read last year! It was amazing and awesome and I WANT MORE!! (Please.) I felt very sniffly at the end which is something that just doesn't happen normally! You're not allowed to end books like that Cait, you're just NOT!


Book you were excited about and thought you were going to love but didn't?

  • Outlander by Diana Gabaldon ~ I heard so much praise prior reading Outlander but upon reading it I was horrified at how abusive the romance was and how that was OK??!! There is nothing romantic in beating your wife so hard she can't sit down for a day and then go about proclaiming how much you enjoyed it! It was really rapey as well which I couldn't STAND. So noooo. This book was just an epic and disgusting disappointment. Also it 800+ pages long and I only carried on because I vainly hoped it might get better. I WAS WRONG.
  •  An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir ~ I ended up DNFing this one because it was such. hard. work. I'd quite like to finish it sometime this year but I'm not sure if that's really going to happen.
  •  Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas ~ Each book in the TOG series has got better for me and after the absolute ASDFGHJKLIHAVENOWORDSWEEPSCRIESLKJHGFDSA that Heir of Fire gave me, I was expecting something more then what Queen of Shadows gave me! It only just got 4-stars and I feel I was being nice even giving that.

Book you "pushed" the most people to read?

Here is a secret: I'm not really a book pusher person, and I have a post coming up that's going to talk about that, but saying that, pretty much the first book that I told people to read when they asked for recommendations was Throne of Glass because...IT'S THRONE OF GLASS. And you don't understand what I mean until you've read which EVERYONE NEEDS TO DO.

 135193971767070920617636


Favourite new author of 2015?

Paula Weston author of The Rephaim series!  I binge read the first 3 books of the series over three days and I'm reading the fourth and last book now. THEY ARE SO GOOD. Everyone go read them!


Book you read in 2015 that you are most likely to reread next year?

I'm a big rereader so I'm probably going to reread lots of favourites. Definitely the above mentioned Rephaim series because FEELS and also A Court of Thorns and Rose because the second book is coming out in a few months and also because FEELS.

Favourite covers of books published in 2015?

There were some STUNNING covers that came out in 2015!  Below are the ones that I am seriously considering printing off and plastering my walls in.

22501055 17661416 25532530  21393526 17564519 23361172  23160039


Most beautifully written book read in 2015?

Uprooted by Naomi Novik! If I could've rolled and slathered myself in that book I would have. The writing is gorgeous and just ARGH. <3 I am so envious of Novik's writing.


Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2015 to read?

Spark by Rachael Craw! Spark came out in 2014 but I didn't read until the second book Stray had almost came out and I really wish I'd read it earlier. Stray is even better then Spark and had me howling at the sky for ages after I read it!

Favourite quote from a book you read in 2015?

I didn't enjoy The Lies About the Truth but this quote from it is my favourite quote of the year! I love it so much!

"He always had breadcrumbs in his voice and I followed them like a fairytale."


Best 2015 Debut?

Under a Painted Sky by Stacy Lee! Yes, yes, I know I've mentioned it twice before but seriously this book is SO incredible! My historical fiction loving heart pretty much died while reading it.

Book that made you cry or nearly cry?

 22665177 18516682

AHEM. Normally here I would scoff and laugh in your face and say, " HA! I don't cry over books! I have NEVER cried over a book and probably never will because my heart is COLD!"....but this year I read two books that made me cry, Every Move which made me bawl like a baby for like half an hour and A Man Called Ove which made me all teary and sniffy nosed. Fun times, I tell you!

Hidden gem of the year?

Yep, I'm going to say A Man Called Ove again. Am I sorry? Nooooope. But seriously, A Man Called Over was absolutely gorgeous; it had me splitting my sides laughing hysterically on one page to wanting to wail loudly on the next. Plus the friendships in there WERE AMAZING. This whole book is amazing. Read this amazing book. You will be amazing if you read this amazing book. AMAZIINNNNNNG. *realizes I've said amazing to many times*

Book that crushed your soul?

 23784978

*cough*A Man Called Ove*cough* *cough*Every Move*cough* OH ALRIGHT I'LL CHOOSE SOMETHING DIFFERENT. *huffs* The ending of Stray crushed my soul then stamped on the pieces AND THEN went and blew up the shavings with a grenade. Someone give me the third book now!

Book that made you the most mad?

Outlander! You can read my mini rant up above but basically the book is terrible, horrible and EVERYTHING bad.


book-blogging

New favourite book blog you discovered in 2015?

I fell in love with The Quiet People this year! Beth is so lovely and reading her posts is like getting a hug from your favourite cardigan.:')

I also found other amazing new blogs but...I can't remember them right now. I know, I'm terrible.

Favourite review you wrote in 2015?

Adrift by Paul Griffin! Going into it I privately thought the book was going to be terrible but it turned out the complete opposite! It was also the easiest book review I have EVER had to write. Normally writing reviews for me is as painful as pulling teeth but with Adrift it was a ball. I suspect the fish gifs helped.


Favourite discussion post you wrote?

This isn't really a discussion but I'm really proud of how Cait's birthday post turned out! It was a lot of work but SO much fun and so many people seemed to enjoy it! I would do it again ten times over because Cait is amazing but I'm stuck for ideas this year.

My Different Kinds of Reading Slumps post makes me laugh! It is depressing that I've experienced all of them though.

Best bookish/blogging moment that that happened in 2015?

Starting to receive physical books from Publishers has been AMAZING. This was something I thought I'd never be in a position to be in and every time I find a book in my mail box I feel like all my Christmases and Birthdays have come at once!! I'm so thankful to all the Publishers that have decided that they value my blog and me enough to send me lovely books! <3

Being friends with fellow kiwi Lara from Word Elixirs! I actually found Lara's blog November 2014 but 2015 was the year we became good friends and we've had great chats and talks since then! Proud to call you my Blogger BFF (BBFF), Lara! <3

Beta reading Cait's frabjous book! It was amazing and definitely one of my favourite reads of the year! I really hope it finds a home with a nice (rich, ahem) Publisher! Totally deserves it <3

Allen & Unwin asking me if I'd like a review copy of Queen of Shadows!!! I almost fainted when I read the email and had to read it like 4 times to see if my eyes were deceiving me! There might have been a tear or two...

Um, just blogging in general?! Blogging is awesome and every day I'm so thankful I started a blog because even though I post sporadically, being a part of the book blogging community is amazing!

Most popular blog post of the year?

My 'Bout This Blogger Tag has had 498 views in the last year...I am amazed! I think this means you guys want to know more about me which I'm not sure is creepy or nice looking at the stat rate.


 looking-ahead-books-2015

Books you didn't get to in 2015 but will be your first priority in 2016?

Half Wild, The Wrath and the Dawn, Torn Sky, Their Fractured Light, A Darker Shade of Magic, The Orphan Queen, Wolf by Wolf, The Accident Season and Red!

Books you are anticipating for 2016 (non debuts)?

Half Lost, A Perilous Undertaking, A Court of Mist and Fury, Throne of Glass 5, Truthwitch, Passenger, Night Study and too many others to count!

2016 Debuts you are most anticipating?

Assassin's Heart, Rebel in the Sands, Fear the Drowning, The Love That Split the World, A Fierce and Subtle Poisoning, Beyond the Red, The Reader, The Crown's Game, A Shadow Bright and Burning, The Star Crossed Queen, Of Fire and Stars and How to Hang a Witch!

A 2016 release that you've already read and loved?

SHALLOW GRAVES! <3 I can say hand on heart that I've never read a book quite like it! It was so refreshing and I'm quite proud of myself for reading it because even though the covers doesn't look it (and I didn't realize it until I'd almost finished the book) this is HORROR. But reallyreallreally GOOD horror!

Things you hope to accomplish in your reading/blogging life in 2016?

  • Get into a routine of posting more often and more regularly and do more discussiony posts as I have so many ideas and topics I want to talk about with all of you!
  • Get better at commenting! (I REALLY need to get better at this!)
  • Make some new friends! I would love to meet new bloggers so if you're new around here and want to be friends, hit me up!
  • Start putting book photography in my book reviews. I like pretty books and I like taking pretty pictures. WIN WIN.
  • Think about getting Instagram. I want to improve my book photography skills and I think this would be a great place to encourage me to do so. I AM TEMPTED.
  • Change my reviewing style. Because I'm not a fan of the way I'm reviewing at the moment. I'd actually really like to know what you guys think of my reviews! Like? Dislike? Things I could differently? Please be honest, as that's the only way I can improve! I won't be upset, I swear. :)

Annnnnd that's a wrap! This literally took me hours to write but if you've kept reading till the end pat yourself on the back because you deserve it! But now! Tell me what was your favourite book that you read in 2015 and WHY....and also what was your bookish/blogging highlight of 2015? I'd love to know!

11 comments :

  1. Wow 305 books is a lot! Nice! Yeah, I agree, its great you omitted some questions, because some other surveys I've seen were crazyy long! I'm hoping to improve my book photography skills too! I signed up for Bookish Scene: Project 52. Its a challenge or meme of sorts, and every week, you post up a bookish photo according to a theme. Check it out - I think it's something you might enjoy?
    http://wordrevel.com/2016-challenges/#bookishscene
    All the best for your aspirations in 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! 305 books:O That is insane! Neat answers:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think my brain had melted by the end of it but I'm glad I did it!

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, I read 220 books this year and I thought *that* was a lot. xD You win a lot of points from me for that. Illuminae and Vicious were some of my top reads too, which is unsurprising because oh my gosh they're both so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 305 books Ella?! :O THAT IS INCREDIBLE! (Better hide this from Cait. She'll be sad you beat her. ;)) And yes x 1000 to Illuminae! Such an amazing combination of action, romance, and twists. Also, you'll be happy to know that I put Every Move on hold at the library. xD Thanks for sharing Ella, and here's to a great 2016! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. 305 books is a crazy awesome number of books read within a year! Sorry to say that overall it was only meh for you though. It looks like I need to read a Man Called Ove with all your raving! I've seen it, and was intrigued, but haven't picked it up yet. Apparently I need to change that sooner rather than later!

    Brianna @ Listful Booking

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hole shit girl... 305 books? (lol i'm just repeating what everyone is saying) BUT NO REALLY WOAH 305 BOOKS. HOW. HOWWW????? I read a measly 79 last year <.< Also, you neeeeed to get Instagram! It's a glorious place and has made me buy so many books BECAUSE THEY ALL LOOK SO PRETTY ON OTHER PPLS FEEDS .

    ReplyDelete
  7. 305 books is incredible, I have no clue how people even manage it. WELL DONE!!! =D Congrats on finishing this. I kind of feel that maybe I should have left some questions off mine. IT'S FAR TOO LONG. I doubt anyone even makes it through it, haha!

    3.1 is a bad overall rating, sorry you didn't have more amazing reads this year. Of your best books I have read 4. PS I Still Love You, which I really enjoyed but preferred book one. I also loved ACOTAR. And really enjoyed Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda. I just finished Illuminae and I LOVED it, such a wonderfully unique book.

    I'm nervous to read Outlander now. And super surprised that I haven't seen that scene mentioned before. That sounds like a total deal breaker for me. URGH!!! Now I don't know what to do, I have heard great things but now I am just not feeling it. That sounds awful.

    I got An Ember in the Ashes for Christmas and am now nervous, I have seen it disappointed quite a lot of other bloggers. Fingers crossed I enjoy it though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post made me smile! (Well done for writing it, mine took me decades ...)

    I've not read many of the books you mentioned, by I'm intrigued by A Man Named Ove. I too didn't manage to make it to The Wrath and the Dawn or A Darker Shade of Magic but I'm so excited for both <3

    The cover of Made You Up is gorgeous O.o

    Emily @ Ink, Inc.

    PS You beta-d Tremolo? Jealous!

    PPS You'll be pleased to here I started ToG this year and have read the first two. So excited to read Heir of Fire!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so excited for The Crown's Game as well! So many great books coming out this year! Great post, Ella. :)

    #Commenting365

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved this survey
    Will be reading your most fave book soon!
    AHHHH P.S I STILL LOVE YOU
    YESS YESS YESS YES PETER KAVINSKY FTW
    I really didn't like Illuminae that much, it was just meh but i loved the format and love story.
    Also the wrath and the dawn was EVERYTHING

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments and every single one makes my day! Check back, because I do reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...