Tuesday, 1 December 2015

After Alice by Gregory Maguire :: it was DNF or DIE (of boredom)

24331115

Publisher: Harper Collins
Release Date: October 1st 2015
Source: From the Publisher!
Purchase: Mighty Ape | The Book Depository | Amazon
Read it in: DNF
Word Rating: OFF WITH IT'S HEAD.

When Alice toppled down the rabbit-hole 150 years ago, she found a Wonderland as rife with inconsistent rules and abrasive egos as the world she left behind. But what of that world? How did 1860s Oxford react to Alice's disappearance?

In this brilliant new work of fiction, Gregory Maguire turns his dazzling imagination to the question of underworlds, undergrounds, underpinnings — and understandings old and new, offering an inventive spin on Carroll's enduring tale. Ada, a friend of Alice's mentioned briefly in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, is off to visit her friend, but arrives a moment too late — and tumbles down the rabbit hole herself.

Ada brings to Wonderland her own imperfect apprehension of cause and effect as she embarks on an odyssey to find Alice and see her safely home from this surreal world below the world. If Euridyce can ever be returned to the arms of Orpheus, or Lazarus can be raised from the tomb, perhaps Alice can be returned to life. Either way, everything that happens next is After Alice

REVIEW

I've been struggling through AFTER ALICE for weeks now and it's got to the point where I have to admit defeat. I went in to AFTER ALICE looking for a fresh retelling of Alice in Wonderland (ALICE IN WONDERLAAAAAAND AHHH!) but I came out feeling like I'd just had my head dunked in cement the whole time while reading it. It was SO boring, but on top of that, it was confusing as heck and JUST BASICALLY MY BRAIN COULDN'T COPE. Siiiiiigh.

I suppose in part, my expectations were to high, but I really thought I'd enjoy it! I had that whole gut feeling of "I'm going to absolutely love this book!" ad then when I started reading it and it just wasn't what I was expecting at all, it was so disappointing!

I think the main reason I couldn't enjoy AFTER ALICE was the writing. The writing is so dry and slooooooow and I felt absolutely nothing through it. I had to literally sit my self down and force myself to read a chapter and all the while it was almost painful. Due to the writing, I would zone out for pages, miss things because I couldn't concentrate and basically feel miserable the whole time while reading it.

Unfortunately, I had to DNF this book around halfway in or so because I just wasn't feeling it AT ALL and I just had the feeling that it was just going to get even worse for me from there. Plus, it sounds harsh, but I want to spend my reading time reading books I ENJOY. I read because I find reading one of the most magical experiences out there and this book? It wasn't magical for me.

However, saying that, just because it wasn't an Ella-book, doesn't mean that you won't like it! I only got to the 50% point so things might have changed dramatically from there!


::Thank you Harper Collins for the review copy!::

DNF


Have you read AFTER ALICE?! If you have, tell me what you thought of it!! Also! Pleasepleaseplease give me your Alice in Wonderland retelling recommendations!! I would love to hear them!


2 comments :

  1. I don't think I've read any Alice in Wonderland retellings?! Maybe you should recommend some to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very smart of you to DFN. I have a hard time with doing that ( I feel an annoying obligation to keep reading). Thanks for folllowing me. I am following you back via Bloglovin.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments and every single one makes my day! Check back, because I do reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...