Friday, 27 November 2015

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo :: where is the sequel??!!


26642116Publisher: Hachette!
Release Date: October 13th 2015
Source: From the Publisher!
Purchase: Mighty Ape | The Book Depository | Amazon
Read it in: 5 hours
Word Rating: Wow!
Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price—and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can't pull it off alone...

A convict with a thirst for revenge.
A sharpshooter who can't walk away from a wager.
A runaway with a privileged past.
A spy known as the Wraith.
A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums.
A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes.

Six dangerous outcasts. One impossible heist. Kaz's crew is the only thing that might stand between the world and destruction—if they don't kill each other first.



REVIEW

This is what I call "true" fantasy. It has backstory, it has world building, it has an excellent cast of characters, it has a strong plot, the writing is so smooth that it almost pours...yes I have complaints but overall this book is genius! See my blatherings below to read my other thoughts on it!

Alright, first I have to get off one thing that was frustrating me: There was WAY to much backstory. I love lots of backstory but because there are so many POV's in here, reading the backstory OF EVERY ONE OF THEM got tiring. It wouldn't have been such a bad thing but I felt Bardugo put so much work on the backstories that it kind of let the current story slide. MUCH SADNESS. I still enjoyed reading it though! Just...frustrations.

Although I found the backstory all the character tiresome at times, the characters themselves were FANTASTIC! Such a clever and diverse cast! Kaz was my favourite ( because KAZZZZZZ) closely followed by Inej and Nina! I really liked Jesper but felt he was mainly only even the book just so he could be the token "funny" guy. Waylan, idek, I didn't even get to know him at all..I felt I knew him as much at the end as I did at the beginning which was zilch.

My least favourite character was Matthias because he was such a sour potato! He was always so angry and grumpy and annoying and I just wanted him to go away and grumble somewhere else. I suppose he did warm up a little // mellow at the end but he better seriously get better in the second book or I will become the grumpy one!

One thing I adored immensely though is the little romance!!! I've read soooo many books with awesome premises but the romance just takes over and basically it turns into a MESS. But in here, Bardugo obviously focuses on making the story the most important factor and making the romance come second, and it was such a nice change! The little romance that IS in here is more romantic tension and it is so well written and utterly ADORBS. I ship it! SHIIIIP ITTT!!

I wanted more of Kaz's POV and less of Nina's and Matthias'! As much as I loved Nina, Kaz was the one I wanted to learn more about so that was frustrating. Hopefully the second book contains more of my prickly-as-a-killer-hedgehog baby! <3

It didn't REALLY hook me to the page which saddened me. It was exciting for most of the time but there were definitely places where I struggled and put the book down to do something else. I didn't think the length helped either?! It was 495 pages and I could definitely see a couple of places where the length could've been shaved off. But that was just me!

OVERALL, ahhhh, much love for this massive beauty! JUST GO AND READ IT AND THEN COME BACK AND TELL ME WHAT YOU THOUGHT OF IT!


::Thank you Hachette for the review copy!::





HAVE YOU READ SIX OF CROWS??!! (if you haven't...WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! GO! GO!) Who was your favourite character and who did you want to

6 comments :

  1. Haven't read it yet... guilty... there are many others on top of the tbr-list xD

    Laura @ psilovethatbook

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god, I read this book and I absolutely LOVED it! Wasn't Kaz amazing? He was absolutely brilliant! I wish I had half the mind he does. Inej was pure awesome, how she was able to overcome her fear. I absolutely cannot wait for the next book and to see what happens!
    Great review :)
    ~Erika @ Books, Stars, Writing. And Everything In Between.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read this!! I haven't yet, but I will!! Exams are now over, so heaps of time to catch up on allll the reading I must do and this is at the top of the list (if I can find a copy). Awesome review, Ella! I will definitely be talking to you when I start reading it

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO, SO GOOD, RIGHT?!? I feel like the characters were this story’s strength and its main flaw. They were all so well-developed and multi-dimensional, but there were so many of them that sometimes it was hard to keep everyone straight. And I agree about the length – it could have been cut down just a tad, especially at the beginning. So glad you liked this so much Ella and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just recently finished this and loved it, too! I completely agree that I could've used more Kaz and less Nina and Matthias. I LOOOOOOVE KAZ! I thought the story was so clever and I am so sad the second book is SO FAR AWAY.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY GOD I get you on so many levels! Firstly the romance element. My biggest bookish peeve is when characters lose all sense of self when they fall in love. The main story loses some of it's importance and just GAH SO MUCH FRUSTRATION. But here, just like you said, the romance comes secondary. Which is what we want! Also I know right I ship it so much too ahhh <3 <3 Can we appreciate how sassy and witty Nina is. I loved her character so much too. Overall this book was AMAZING. The second book only comes out next year though *sobs* Wonderful review! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments and every single one makes my day! Check back, because I do reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...