Wednesday, 18 November 2015

Magnus Chase And The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan :: just brings back alllllllll the percy jackson feels

25909686  
Publisher: Penguin!
Release Date: October 6th 2015
Source: From the Publisher!
Purchase: Mighty Ape | The Book Depository | Amazon
Read it in: 5 hours
Word Rating: SO GOOOOOOOOD!


Magnus Chase has always been a troubled kid. Since his mother's mysterious death, he's lived alone on the streets of Boston, surviving by his wits, keeping one step ahead of the police and the truant officers.

One day, he's tracked down by an uncle he's never met - a man his mother claimed was dangerous. His uncle tells him an impossible secret: Magnus is the son of a Norse god.

The Viking myths are true. The gods of Asgard are preparing for war. Trolls, giants and worse monsters are stirring for doomsday. To prevent Ragnarok, Magnus must search the Nine Worlds for a weapon that has been lost for thousands of years.

When an attack by fire giants forces him to choose between his own safety and the lives of hundreds of innocents, Magnus makes a fatal decision.

Sometimes, the only way to start a new life is to die . . .

REVIEW

List of why I loved and enjoyed this book so much:


+ It reminded me how much I love Rick Riordan's writing powers! The wit, the snark, the characters...just a whole bundle of awesome!

+ I LOVED THE CHAPTER TITLES SO MUCH!!!!! Every one of them had me sniggering, but my favourites would have to be Upon the Good Ship ToenailDon't Be a No-Bro Bro and You Look Great Without a Nose!

+ You could definitely read this even if you haven't read Percy Jackson! I've read and enjoyed Percy Jackson but this was different enough that you could read it without needing to read the Percy Jackson books. (You totally should read the Percy Jackson series though, just saying.)

+ THE HUMOUR WAS RIDICULOUSLY WONDERFUL! See below for my favourite quotes!

+ The diversity is excellent! Crushes a lot of stereotypes which was wonderful but also made the story just so much more interesting to read!

+ THE ANNABETH CAMEOS. CAN WE PLEASE. I MEAN. IT WAS JUST-*explodes with feelings*

+ No romance! Can we just take a moment to thank the Norse bookish gods for this miracle and do the chicken dance while we're at it to celebrate because I LOVED THAT THERE WAS ZERO ROMANCE!

+ I learnt heaps of things about Norse mythology that I didn't know about! Which was great! And I also loveeeeed how Riordan put a fun twist on all the Norse Gods featured in here. :') Thor with his obsession with television and keeping up with all the channels was HILARIOUS.

FAVOURITE QUOTES!


“Could you do a glamour and turn into something smaller?" I asked it. "Preferably not a chain, since it's no longer the 1990s?"

The sword didn't reply (duh), but I imagined it was humming at a more interrogative pitch, like, Such as what?

"I dunno. Something pocket-size and innocuous. A pen, maybe?"

The sword pulsed, almost like it was laughing. I imagined it saying, A pen sword. That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.”

 DID YOU GET THE REFERENCE???!!! DID YOU??!!

“I smiled. "So this horse is your nephew, Sam?"
She glared at me. "Let's not go there."
"How did your dad father a horse?"
Blitzen coughed. "Actually, Loki was Sleipnir's mother."
"What--?"
"Let's definitely not go there," Sam warned.”
 
---

“Back up,” I said. “What did Sam mean by again? You’ve lost your hammer before?”
“Once,” Thor said. “Okay, twice. Three times if you count this time, which you shouldn’t, because I am not admitting that the hammer is missing.”
“Right…” I said. “So how did you lose it?”
“I don’t know!” Thor started to pace again, his long red hair sparking and popping. “It was just like…Poof! I tried retracing my steps. I tried the Find My Hammer app, but it doesn’t work!” 
 
---

OVERALL, I adored Riordan's latest book and can't WAIT for the second book! There was literally no problems with this book apart from the fact that I had a slight problem with the fact that Magnus's POV sounded EXACTLY like Percy's...but Magnus's voice was so fun to read I didn't mind that much! And I thought it was a little to long near the end, but again, I was enjoying myself to much to care!

::Thank you Penguin NZ for the review copy!::



FANGIRL WITH ME!!! Have you read Magnus Chase?! Percy Jackson?! ANYTHING RICK RIORDAN??!! (don't break my heart by saying you haven't!!) What was your favourite?!

8 comments :

  1. *whispers* I haven't read anything by Rick Riordan.... I don't know where to start?! I missed the Percy Jackson phase (I don't know how, apparently I lived under a rock) and now I want to catch up, but howwww?! Help meee, Ellaaaa!! What Rick Riordan book do I read first??? I must change things now (and by now I mean when I finish exams and actually have time)...

    Your review made me want to read a book by Rick Riordan so much!!! he sounds hilarious!!!!! Dammit, Ella - my TBR pile suffers because of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book and I loved it so much! Rick Riordan can do absolutely no wrong, and I loved the subtle references to Riptide and other Percy Jackson-related things! I can't wait for the next book to come out! Words cannot explain how awesome this book is and how excited I am to read the next one!
    Great review :)
    ~Erika @ Books, Stars, Writing. And Everything In Between.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh I seriously need to read this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should.

      Delete
    2. In fact, you really showd.

      Delete
  4. YESSSS I WILL MAKE YOUR HEART GLAD BECAUSE I HAVE READ 12 RICK RIORDAN BOOKS. *pins badge to self* And 11 of those this year. XD It's been like "The Year of Riordan" for me, omg. I kind of made him my goal *nods* and next year I think I'm going to attempt everything by Neal Shusterman. BUT I DIGRESS. Thiiiiis book was amazing. It's one of my top favourite Riordan books, seconded only by Mark of Athena and Blood of Olympus. :') I LOVE ALL THE QUOTES. And I was super impressed that there was no romance. o.O Go Riordan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES. I am so glad you liked this so much Ella! To be completely honest, I’ve been a bit hesitant about reading this when it comes out because I’m worried that it won’t be quite as good as the Percy Jackson series, but you’ve eased my fears. (Although, I felt the same way when I started Heroes of Olympus, and, alas, look where I am now). So glad that Annabeth is in this (my spirit character TBH) and that there were some Percy Jackson cameos as well. Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. *runs into a corner and weeps about the fact that I still haven't read this book*
    BUT! I LOVE RICK RIORDIAN! I started reading Percy Jackson when I was around 11 and ahh I've re-read the series so many times! I haven't tried reading The Kane Chronicles though (guilty) but I have read the Heroes of Olympus and although I loved that series too, Percy Jackson has a special little place in my heart. If I had to choose, IF I ABSOLUTELY HAD TO CHOOSE, I would pick Battle of the Labyrinth as my favourite. I swear, I get chills every. time. When I read the part in your review that mentioned chapter titles... I literally squealed because Percy Jackson has the exact same thing! 'I accidentally vaporize my pre-algebra teacher?' I mean come on! I'm so excited to read this one and fangirl with the rest of the bookish community. Lovely review! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments and every single one makes my day! Check back, because I do reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...