Tuesday, 10 November 2015

Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff :: tHiS bOoK iS sO gOoD sOmEoNe sEnD hElP

23395680
Publisher: Allen & Unwin
Release Date: November 1st 2015
Source: From the Publisher!
Purchase: Mighty Ape | The Book Depository | Amazon
Read it in: 5 hours
Word Rating: AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

This morning, Kady thought breaking up with Ezra was the hardest thing she’d have to do.

This afternoon, her planet was invaded.

The year is 2575, and two rival megacorporations are at war over a planet that’s little more than an ice-covered speck at the edge of the universe. Too bad nobody thought to warn the people living on it. With enemy fire raining down on them, Kady and Ezra—who are barely even talking to each other—are forced to fight their way onto an evacuating fleet, with an enemy warship in hot pursuit.

But their problems are just getting started. A deadly plague has broken out and is mutating, with terrifying results; the fleet's AI, which should be protecting them, may actually be their enemy; and nobody in charge will say what’s really going on. As Kady hacks into a tangled web of data to find the truth, it's clear only one person can help her bring it all to light: the ex-boyfriend she swore she'd never speak to again.

Told through a fascinating dossier of hacked documents—including emails, schematics, military files, IMs, medical reports, interviews, and more—Illuminae is the first book in a heart-stopping, high-octane trilogy about lives interrupted, the price of truth, and the courage of everyday heroes.


REVIEW

I DON'T KNOW HOW TO TELL YOU IN A CALM AND CONTAINED MANNER ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE ILLUMINAE! My brain has just turned to mush and all I can think of is LOVEITLOVEITLOVEIT when I even try and process my thoughts on it!! THAT MEANS IT'S LIST TIME PEOPLE. Otherwise they'll be no review at all!

https://media.giphy.com/media/8Ue8ekoT67ylq/giphy.gif

REASONS WHY I LOVED ILLUMINAE AN ASTRONOMICAL AMOUNT (haha, SEE WHAT I DID THERE???!!!)

1.) IT'S SCI-FI! AND I LOVED IT! I do not like Sci-fi! Sci-fi does not like me! But in here?! IT WORKED. SO WELL. AND MY HEART CAN HARDLY CONTAIN ITSELF IN ALL OF IT'S JOYFUL CELEBRATION! There's spaceships, there's planets, there's space...EVERYTHING SCI-FI BASICALLY AND IT'S AWESOME!!! SOOOOO AWESOMMMME!!!!!

2.) The fact that even though the whole book is told through transcripts and so you're never inside the characters heads...I was SO attached and emotionally involved with EVERYONE and EVERYTHING in the story!! AND EZRA AND KADY MY POOR BABIES. *bawls*

3.) KADY AND EZRA! So when the story starts, Kady has just dumped Ezra and they're both mad at each other. Then their planet gets blown up (as it does) and they escape together - just - but end up on different space ships. When Kady, who is an amazing computer hacker, sniffs out some trouble that the big bosses are hiding from the refugees - a deadly plague (that is insanely creepy to read about but is so incredibly written you can't help but admire it and love it) - she needs Ezra's help to find out more and try and take it down. She reluctantly contacts Ezra and asks for his help.

Reading their IM's between each other (as that's how they corresponded) and seeing them go from hostile and resentful with each other to slowly becoming closer and becoming awkward friends, enough so they could grieve over what they had lost, like their dead family members and friends and their home, to the realization that they were actually falling back in love with each other was SO powerful! It was slow, it didn't take over the focus of the story which was taking down the bad guys, and it showed how they weren't just *in love*, it went deeper then that.  And it was just so enthralling to read!

Kady is one of the strongest female characters I've came across in YA this year and she's absolutely brilliant. She's strong enough to know her weaknesses, but she's also arrogant and fragile and ASDFGHJKL, she's aMaZiNg, okay?! I loved Ezra as well and his sarcasm was hilarious, but I loved Kady more. Her wit was even better then Ezra's!

4.) The unique formatting! Oh my gosh, guys, it is amazing! If I didn't take such shonky photography I would be splattering this review with pictures of what it looks like! The book would've definitely been completely different reading experience if it hadn't had all the pictures and gorgeous formatting so I'm so glad it had it and I really hope the next two books in the trilogy follow in it's footsteps!

5.) AIDAN! Omg, AIDAN. Aidan is this big computer that is THE ALL AND MIGHTY BASICALLY. He's absolutely amazing because he's so flawed! On one hand he's evil, destroying and murdering thousands of  people in a nanosecond and he donesn't bat an eyelid but on the other hand he kills all those people because he thinks he's protecting other people, or meat, as he calls humans. And then Kady comes along and slowly he begins to change and he starts to feel compassion. To watch read him go from a cold emotionless computer something to grow as someone with compassion was...brilliant. Frankly brilliant.

Overall, ILLUMINAE IS AMAZING AND SO DESERVING OF THE HYPE(to me at least!!). The only problems I had with it was a slow start that was hard to get into and a couple of things that I didn't understand - but I think that was because I was reading so fast I skipped some things! After I got past that, I couldn't put the book down!

Please, just do yourself a favour and read it!

NOW.

::Thank you Allen & Unwin for the review copy!::
HAVE YOU READ ILLUMINAE??!!! WHAT DID YOU THINK OF IT??!! DID YOU LIKE AIDAN??!! DID YOU LIKE EZRA OR KADY BETTER??!!

7 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. IT IS SO SO GOOD. I NEED THE SEQUEL. LIKE IMMEDIATELY. THE IDEA OF HAVING TO WAIT A YEAR FOR THE SECOND BOOK MAKES ME FEEL LIKE I'M COMING DOWN WITH THE PLAGUE. *whimpers* Don't look at me!

      Delete
  2. This book sounds fantastic, I can't wait to check it out. Awesome review, Ella! :)
    ~Haley @ My Addiction: Books
    http://myaddictionbooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was SOOOOOOOOOOOO fantastic, Haley!!! I think you'd really enjoy it!! :)))

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to read Illuminae! I saw a copy of it yesterday at the warehouse and I was sooo tempted to buy it (especially after I saw how much you loved it), but I think it's safer if I wait until after exams. Great review as always, Ella!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SOOO GOOD, RIGHT?!? I am so glad you loved this as much as I did Ella! (I knew you would, but I'm glad to have confirmation - hehe!) Kady was such an amazing and kickass protagonist, and Ezra was such an incredible love interest. And the twists and turns at the end just blew my mind. Glad you felt the same way and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely loved your title for this post - so very cute! I wrote my whole review for this book with strikethroughs and such - it was so much fun!!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments and every single one makes my day! Check back, because I do reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...