Saturday, 14 November 2015

Double Whammy Review: A Thousand Pieces of You and Ten Thousand Skies Above You by Claudia Gray :: baa baa black sheep

17234658 Publisher: Harper
Release Date: November 4th 2014
Source: From the Publisher!
Purchase: Mighty Ape | The Book Depository | Amazon
Read it in: 3 hours
Word Rating: Yeeeeeaaah...*shrugs*
Marguerite Caine’s physicist parents are known for their radical scientific achievements. Their most astonishing invention: the Firebird, which allows users to jump into parallel universes, some vastly altered from our own. But when Marguerite’s father is murdered, the killer—her parent’s handsome and enigmatic assistant Paul—escapes into another dimension before the law can touch him.

Marguerite can’t let the man who destroyed her family go free, and she races after Paul through different universes, where their lives entangle in increasingly familiar ways. With each encounter she begins to question Paul’s guilt—and her own heart. Soon she discovers the truth behind her father’s death is more sinister than she ever could have imagined.

A Thousand Pieces of You explores a reality where we witness the countless other lives we might lead in an amazingly intricate multiverse, and ask whether, amid infinite possibilities, one love can endure.
REVIEW

Pretty much all I'd heard about A THOUSAND PIECES OF YOU before I started reading it was praise and love so maybe I went in with to high expectations because A THOUSAND PIECES OF YOU didn't turn out to be the magical and thrilling read I was expecting.

I have to hand it to the author: the idea behind the trilogy is exciting and unique but the actual delivery of the idea kinda...failed. Basically, the whole book is about jumping through dimensions to other worlds where there is an exact copy of yourself in every dimension except they're all different and live in different situations. So you may look the same and have the same or some of the same family but everything else and the world you live in is different. And you know what? That was cool! I've never read anything like that before! I found it incredibly interesting to read and that was my favourite part about the book, definitely, but I only wish there'd been a little more world building and PLOT! Where was the plot?!

Character wise...I WASN'T A HAPPY BOOKWORM. Marguerite couldn't make a decision to save herself and just seemed to let everyone else do the decision making for her. And when she did make a decision...it turned out to be a reallllllly bad idea. Spoiler: LIKE WHEN SHE WAS IN RUSSIAN MARGUERITE'S BODY AND SHE DECIDED TO GO AHEAD AND SLEEP WITH RUSSIAN PAUL. THERE WAS MUCH WRONG WITH THAT SITUATION OMG. Other characters were pretty meh. Theo was a cocky idiot and did some stupid things hut he was INTERESTING! Also WHOA, I did not see that thing about him at the end AT ALL. My mind was blown! Paul was a slightly creepy love interest who's main personal was basically...being a creepy love interest. Yep.

I found the romance took over and became more of a focus which I didn't want! I wanted more dimension hopping and plot and an explanation to why the bad guys were doing all this stuff...and instead we got a lot of Marguerite just mooning over Paul!  WHHHHY.

Also, the ending finished on such a happy ever after gloopy note, I didn't see WHY it needed a sequel, let alone a trilogy?? But maybe that's just me!

::Thank you Harper for the review copy!::





17234659
Publisher: Harper
Release Date: November 3rd 2015
Source: From the Publisher!
Read it in: 4 hours
Word Rating: NUH UH *frowny face*
Ever since she used the Firebird, her parents' invention, to cross into alternate dimensions, Marguerite has caught the attention of enemies who will do anything to force her into helping them dominate the multiverse—even hurting the people she loves. She resists until her boyfriend, Paul, is attacked and his consciousness scattered across multiple dimensions.

Marguerite has no choice but to search for each splinter of Paul’s soul. The hunt sends her racing through a war-torn San Francisco, the criminal underworld of New York City, and a glittering Paris where another Marguerite hides a shocking secret. Each world brings Marguerite one step closer to rescuing Paul. But with each trial she faces, she begins to question the destiny she thought they shared.

The second book in the Firebird trilogy, Ten Thousand Skies Above You features Claudia Gray’s lush, romantic language and smart, exciting action, and will have readers clamoring for the next book.

REVIEW

After finishing A THOUSAND PIECES OF YOU I immediately started TEN THOUSAND SKIES ABOVE YOU feeling hopeful that I would enjoy the sequel more, as I'd heard even higher praise about the sequel then I had about the first book.

Sadly, I was let down again but even more so this time. While I had problems with A THOUSAND PIECES OF YOU it was very addictive in places and did keep me suckered to the page. Here in A THOUSAND SKIES ABOVE YOU, I was bored the whole time and and spent more time wondering when it was going to end then actually trying to push through it.

Where in A THOUSAND PIECES OF YOU I loved the different dimensions and all the adventures and complications that came with it, I wasn't such a fan of them in here. Gray definitely explored some different ways 'fates' could be twined together, but I don't think they worked as well in here as they did in the first book.

I'm still not a fan of the romance mainly because I feel so indifferent?! I felt no chemistry between Paul and Marguerite in A THOUSAND PIECES OF YOU and even less so in here. And what with Marguerite running all over the place like a headless chicken trying to fix stuff and find Paul, there was absolutely no room for their relationship to grow. That makes my shipper heart angry, grrr!

ALSO SPOILER: When Marguerite goes back to the same Russian dimension she was in in the last book and she finds out that Russian Marguerite's is pregnant with Russian Paul's baby and it's all Marguerite's fault...I WAS SO MAD.  I NEED TO KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK OF THIS IF YOU'VE READ THE BOOKS!!! I should've seen in coming but still, IT MADE ME SO ANGRY ALL OVER AGAIN.

Unlike the first book, TEN THOUSAND SKIES ABOVE YOU ends of a KILLER cliffhanger, so be warned! It made me half want to throw the book at a wall and half desperately want the third book as soon as possible just so I could find out what happens!

 ::Thank you Harper for the review copy!:: 



OVERALL FEELINGS

Overall, I feel quite indifferent about these books albeit annoyed confused and mad at parts of it. It had an awesome idea behind them but the characters annoyed me so much and made such stupid decisions (!!!ANGRYFACE!!!), plus there was a severe lack of plot and world building for me to put that aside and enjoy the rest of the novels. I did enjoy the first book somewhat and it did have me glued to the pages at some points but the second book sadly lacked anything awesome. Do I want to read the third book? I don't know! I AM curious to see what happens in the third book after that absolute KILLER cliffhanger in TEN THOUSAND SKIES ABOVE YOU so I'll probably read it just to find out what happens!

I also feel one of the reasons I haven't enjoyed these books so much is it's just ME. Because even though I had trouble with this series that doesn't mean YOU will! So if you're curious about them but feel put off because of my reviews I still think you should totally try them! My opinion is MY opinion and I'd love to know YOURS!



 SO! HAVE YOU READ ANY BOOKS IN THIS TRILOGY?! IF YOU HAVE, WHICH WAS YOUR FAVOURITE?!
ALSOALSOALSOOOO, MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION OF ALL: WHICH IS YOUR FAVOURITE COVER??!!??!! I THINK THE SECOND IS MINE BUT IT'S CLOSE!

5 comments :

  1. I'm sorry you didn't like these ones that much. I'm always annoyed when a good idea fails in the execution and when romance takes over the plot. I still plan on reading at least the first one though. It took so much self control not to read that last spoiler! Why do you do this to me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I AM SO WITH YOU ON THIS. I haven't read the sequel because I had basically the same thoughts as you about the first one and...egh. Life is short. I'm not wasting it on the sequel even though OMGGGG THOSE COVERS ARE MY FAVOURITE OF EVER. *pets covers* I was furious about the Russian bit. Like...how dare she??!? And I seem to recall (Although I could be misremembering) that at the end Paul was all like how horrible it was to have your body controlled by a different person and not be able to do anything. And they all AGREED it was horrible.But then Marguerite did it and that was okay??? Because she's the fabulous heroine???? No. *smashes plates*

    Excellently wonderful reviews as always, Ella. XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn these are gorgeous covers (I think I like the first one better), it's just a shame that the outside didn't match the inside! I haven't read them and I don't know if I will... I'm trying to finish more series than I start at the moment so I'm only starting series that I KNOW will be amazing. Maybe I'll get to this one day, it does sound like a super interesting concept with the whole different dimensions thing, but I've read a few iffy reviews so maybe not....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh too bad you didn't like them too much, specially the sequel...
    I really liked A Thousand Pieces but I haven't read the second book yet. I hope I don't get disappointed and omg ends with a killer cliffhanger? what? I'll have to wait forever! :(

    I LOVE LOVE LOVE BOTH COVERS! THEY'RE GORGEOUS!

    Laura @ psilovethatbook

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a problem with that scene in the first book, too, and I ranted about it quite a bit in my review of it. It was just so insensitive of her - it wasn't her body, it wasn't her decision, and just when she already did the deed, she goes away leaving Marguerite in that world to deal with it? UTTERLY SELFISH.

    I'm really nervous now for the second book. I do agree that even though I had problems with the first book, it was still addicting. I have a feeling now my insights of the second book will be similar to yours D:

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments and every single one makes my day! Check back, because I do reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...