Monday, 26 October 2015

Uprooted by Naomi Novik :: WELCOME TO THE BEST BOOK OF EVER


25532530
Publisher: Pan Macmillan
Release Date: May 21 2015
Source: From the Publisher!
Purchase: Mighty Ape | The Book Depository | Amazon
Read it in: 5 hours
Word Rating: OMGWHATEVEN

Agnieszka loves her valley home, her quiet village, the forests and the bright shining river. But the corrupted Wood stands on the border, full of malevolent power, and its shadow lies over her life.

Her people rely on the cold, driven wizard known only as the Dragon to keep its powers at bay. But he demands a terrible price for his help: one young woman handed over to serve him for ten years, a fate almost as terrible as falling to the Wood.

The next choosing is fast approaching, and Agnieszka is afraid. She knows—everyone knows—that the Dragon will take Kasia: beautiful, graceful, brave Kasia, all the things Agnieszka isn’t, and her dearest friend in the world. And there is no way to save her.

But Agnieszka fears the wrong things. For when the Dragon comes, it is not Kasia he will choose.


REVIEW

WELL EXCUSE ME WHILE I FANGIRL RIDICULOSULY HARD HERE. THIS BOOK IS SERIOUSLY ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS I'VE READ ALL YEAR IF NOT THE BEST. I JUST CAN'T GET OVER HOW UNBELIEVABLY GOOD IT IS AND JUST, JUST EMOTIONS EVERYWHERE OK?! Even before I read it, I thought to myself, "this sounds like such an ELLA book," and guess what?! IT IS SUCH AN ELLA BOOK. *flails*


Agnieszka (pronounced Ag-NEISH-kah for the poor souls wondering how on earth to pronounce her name! I had this trouble too, until I read the author's note) is definitely one of my new favourite heroines OF EVER. She's not beautiful, she's gawky, she's CLUMSY and she struggles with stuff like magic. She's also full of spirit, stubborn (me likey) and won't take nonsense from ANYONE, especially the Dragon. 

Character wise, not just Agnieszka was wonderful though! We have Kasia her beautiful best friend who everyone thought that SHE would be picked by the Dragon but then Agnieszka was picked instead. Kasia was probably my favourite character after Agnieszka, as her friendship with Agnieszka was so strong but also because she was amazing in herself! The there's the Dragon who I'm still not sure how I feel about; on one hand he was an excellent character but I wasn't completely sold on the romance because he's a 150 year old wizard that looks 20 and Agnieszka is 17 I think? So romance wise I was feeling a bit iffy, but character wise the Dragon is this grumpy pedantic guy who likes everything neat and to make sense and to fit in the right boxes and then here's Agnieszka who is the COMPLETE opposite of everything of the above and he HATES IT. It hilarious, although I thought he could've been a little less grumpy towards her at times.

THE MAGIC IN HERE IS EPIC. Someone hold me! It's all creepy and a lot of the time awesomely evil and the spells sound amazing even though I don't even know how I'd go about pronouncing them! And then you've got the evil woods with all of it's creepy monsters and trees that are actually kind of alive and THEY EAT PEOPLE KINDA and it's AMAZING. So imaginative. So wild! I LOVES it. *happy face*

I ADORED the writing to the moon and back! it was beautiful and yes, slow in some places, but to me, that kind of made me appreciate it more?! But as well as being SO pretty it also had a nice crunch to it which added a real freshness to it, which I loved so much. 

Also FAIRYTALES HELLOOOO FAIRYTALES!! It's like a retelling of Beauty and the Beast AS WELL as smatterings of other fairytales and everything is just so gorgeous ASDFGHJKL. So. Much. Love. My fairytale lover heart is VERY happy!

The only complaint that I really have is that it did take around 100 pages before I was firmly hooked, but then I couldn't tear myself away! But that would be my only grumble!

But YAS. Basically this book has me written in mind for it and it is BEAUTIFUL. I loved it SO MUCH so just go and find yourself a copy NOW. (Also I realize this review is just a mess of !!!!!!!! but honestly I'm just to gushy about this amazing book to be coherent! #sorrynotsorry)


::Thank you to Pan Macmillan for the review copy!::


I haven't had a 5-star read in what feels like forever, so what's a book that you've read recently that you loved so much you couldn't help but splat the 5-star sticker on it?? ALSO! Who's read UPROOTED?! Isn't it AHMAZZZZZING?! (although if you didn't like it, that's totally ok!) I just wish it wasn't over!


9 comments :

  1. SO glad to hear you loved this one. I absolutely adore fairytales, so when I heard this one had a fairytale-ish vivbe to it, I just knew I had to read it. I don't think I liked it quite as much as you did (not sure that is even possible haha) but it was so beautifully written, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if anyone can beat my love of UPROOTED at the moment, either hehe!! xD I'm so glad you enjoyed it!!! THE WRITING WAS SO BEAUTIFUL DANGIT. If I could write like Naomi...

      Delete
  2. aaaagh, I totally need to read this! I got it out from the library a few months ago, then got distracted. I really liked Six of Crows and walk on Earth a Stranger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed you like UPROOTED if you get your hands on it!! :)) Can't wait to see what you think! OH! I want to read SIX OF CROWS so much!! How good is it??

      Delete
  3. I didn't quite like this as much as you did, but I am so glad to hear you liked it so much. I agree that the eerie setting and the wonderful, quirky characters made the story. ;) And the writing was just exquisite. Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you DNF it Zoe? I'm really sorry it didn't work for you and can totally see why some people wouldn't enjoy it!

      Aw! *squishes you in big hug* <3

      Delete
  4. I haven't read this, but it sounds like I totally should! I'm not sure how I feel about the name... I think it's something that I'd have to get used to, but other than that it sounds amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I HAVE SEEN MANYMANYMANY GOOD THINGS ABOUT THIS BUT YOUR REVIEW CONVINCED ME!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments and every single one makes my day! Check back, because I do reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...