Monday, 5 October 2015

Mini Reviews :: A Step Toward Falling ~ The Wolf Wilder ~ The Wicked Will Rise (psst! Super duper secret game involved!!)


It's time for some mini reviews! ALSO LETS PLAY A GAME. Guess which book I thought I was going to love...but didn't...but DID at the same time (yep, it's that confusing), which book I disliked so strongly I wanted to throw it off the nearest cliff and which book I loved and wanted to hug forever! NO LOOKING AT THE REVIEWS UNTIL YOU GUESS! Cheaters will not be given virtual cake.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view2/2077744/cake-o.gif
this actually kind of turns me OFF cake >.>

 ONTO THE REVIEWS!


 by Cammie McGovern / PUBLISHED: 6th October 2015 / BUY: Mighty Ape | The Book Depository | Amazon
WORD RATING: *SQUEES OBNOXIOUSLY*



24605853Have you ever had those books where they're basically the best thing ever and it's almost 5-star perfection and all that, but when it comes to reviewing them, you don't really have anything to say? This is A Step Toward Falling to a T.

Probably the best thing about this novel is the PROGRESSION. The way these characters start of and how they grow and learn throughout the novel and then to see them at the end, I don't even know how to explain it...so different and yet not? I just loved the fact the characters learnt and grew so much but also really took on board things about themselves that werent good about themselves and admitted the bad things they'd done and tried to make it better.

This is also a book that has people with disabilities aplenty, but it was handled SO well, I feel like giving full marks just for that. 

Compassionate, lovely and entirely satisfying, this book was pretty much all round perfect! Also, the romance is the sweetest I've read in a long time!


::Thank you to the Publisher via Edelweiss for the review copy!::

ACTUALLY 4.5!


 by Katherine Rundell / PUBLISHED: 9th September 2015 / BUY: Mighty Ape | The Book Depository | Amazon
 WORD RATING: ZZZZZZZZZZ


23257157This book was gorgeous, beautiful and dare I say it? Boring. "Gorgeously Boring" would be my word rating I'd slap on it.

Full points like I said for being beautiful and gorgeous and all that jazz. The Wold Wilder had SUCH beautiful writing and just this gorgeous mysteriousness about it and all I really enjoyed that aspect of it.

Um, yeah, so unfortunately, it was also sadly...boring. Nothing really happened?! It was too much talking and not really doing anything. And as much as I love beautiful prose I need ACTION! I need stuff to happen, to move forward, not stay in the same place spouting lovely-but-dull caramel like prose.

But hey! I there were things I really liked, like it being set in Russia (I just really like everything Russian), Feodora was an excellent main character with enough spunk to feed many a limp heroine and the wolves were a cool yet slightly mystifying factor as well!

ALSO THAT COVER. HAVE YOU EVER SEEN SUCH A BEAUTIFUL COVER IN YOUR LIFE?! I would oh so happily have this pinned up on my wall just so I could stare at it for hours. Bloomsbury has the best cover designers EVER. I want one.

::Thanks to the Publisher via Netgalley for this review copy!::



 by Danielle Paige / PUBLISHED: 31st March 2015 / BUY: Mighty Ape | The Book Depository | Amazon
WORD RATING: APOPLECTIC

18602341
So I really, really enjoyed Dorothy Must Die. This one? Border line HATE. 

Firstly, I didn't understand anything that was going on. The clear writing from the first book is gone and instead just a lot of mumbled jumble going everywhere and not sticking to a plot or ANYTHING!

Amy was, sadly, a mess and made some really stupid decisions in here. Which made me sad! I liked smart, snarky Amy from Dorothy Must Die not whiny, silly, stupid-decision-making Amy in here! GRRR. I'm unfortuantely grumpy about this

BUT saying all of the above, for all my ranting about my dislike and disappointment over this book, heaps of people seemed to prefer this one to Dorothy Must Die. So maybe it's just me?!

I'll definitely still be reading the third and last book in the trilogy, Yellow Brick War when it comes out next year but my expectations will be considerably lowered!

::Thank you to Harper Collins NZ for the review copy!::





So...HOW DID YOU GO AT THE GAME?! It was kind of pathetic, yes, but I still want to know what you guessed!!! (Oh and also tell me which of these books you've read//or tell me one of them you really want too read!!) ALSO people that have read The Wicked Will Rise...TELL ME WHAT YOU THOUGHT!! I'm feeling like a left out banana here and I'd really like too hear what you think!!


4 comments :

  1. You loved The Wicked Will Rise, you thought you were going to love The Wolf Wilder (and did, but didn't) and you hated a step towards falling.

    So I was wrong.... whoops! I thought you were going to love The Wicked Will Rise because I knew you liked the first one. I probably won't be reading it because I never got through the first one. I think it was one of those "it's not you, it's me" situations.... I just was not in the mood for it when I picked it up.

    I haven't heard of the other two books and I think I'll be avoiding The Wolf Finder. I can't stand books that have amazing writing yet not much happening... I feel like they are slowly killing me because there's so much potential, but nothing happens(!!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had mixed feelings about The Wicked Will Rise. A Step Towards Falling sounds really good, and I'm going to go check it out right now! Great reviews :)
    ~Erika @ Books, Stars, Writing. And Everything In Between.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww...sorry that you didn't like The Wicked Must Rise as much as you hoped you would Ella. :( I really liked Dorothy Must Die too (such an eerie and original way of retelling the story), but I'm sad to hear that the sequel didn't match the brilliance of its predecessor.

    And I love the sound of the character progression in A Step Towards Falling. It's always great when you see characters that visibly change and progress in a realistic way.

    Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous mini-reviews! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got the game wrong, but I am glad ;) I had guessed that you hated A Step Toward Falling because I am a pessimist and really want to like that one hahha. Sorry that The Wicked Must Rise was such a fail for you though :( And I have read similar things about Wolf Wilder- that it was just so... blah. Plus, MG and I don't get along anyway, so it's good I am skipping that one. I am so glad you enjoyed A Step Toward Falling though, can't wait to read that one! And I enjoyed the game :)
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments and every single one makes my day! Check back, because I do reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...