Thursday, 27 August 2015

Double Review: The Aprilynne Pike Edition :: a yay and a nay



http://aprilynnepike.com/sites/default/files/images/LAT_cover_UK.jpg Publisher: Harper Teen
Release Date: April 30th 2013
Source: From the publisher in exchange for review
Purchase: Mighty Ape | Book Depository | Amazon
Read it in: Two hours
Word Rating: Utterly delectable
Moving to a new high school sucks. Especially a rich-kid private school. With uniforms. But nothing is worse than finding out the first girl you meet is dead. And a klepto.

No one can see or hear Kimberlee except Jeff, so--in hopes of bringing an end to the snarkiest haunting in history--he agrees to help her complete her "unfinished business." But when the enmity between Kimberlee and Jeff's new crush, Sera, manages to continue posthumously, Jeff wonders if he's made the right choice.

Clash meets sass in this uproarious modern-day retelling of Baroness Orczy's The Scarlet Pimpernel
::Thank you Harper for the review copy!::

I read this book when it first came out in 2013 and when it turned up on my doorstep a couple of weeks ago I could still remember how much it cracked me up and just how enjoyable it was to read even though it sounds like a book not really up my street.

The writing was crisp, sharp, and with that slice of dry humour it made REALLY fun reading. I cackled out loud more then once and I need to go back and mark my favourite places!

I was fully expecting there to be an angsty romance between Jeff and Kimberlee and I was not only surprised but also really pleased that this didn't happen! Kimberlee and Jeff start off disliking each other, Jeff finds Kimberlee a brat; Kimberlee dislikes Jeff finding her a brat, but by the end of the book they have a really nice friendship going which I LOVED.

Kimberlee was a really interesting character. She was horrible when she was alive and suffered serious kleptomania as well and now that she's dead and has convinced Jeff to help her return all the stuff she stole she slowly started to become a better person and I really enjoyed that.

I wasn't sure how well Jeff's POV would work in this kind of story but it worked SO well and I'm so happy! It gets a bit boring when all the books I read only have female POVS so this was a breath of fresh air!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/giphymedia/media/l7jjyhHsjCD6M/giphy.gif






18635004
Publisher: Harper Teen
Release Date: April 29th 2014
Source: From the publisher in exchange for review
Purchase: Mighty Ape | Book Depository | Amazon
Read it in: Three hours
Word Rating: *GNASHES TEETH IN EXTREME FRUSTRATION*

The blockbuster film Inception meets Lisa McMann's Wake trilogy in this dark paranormal thriller from #1 New York Times bestselling author Aprilynne Pike. This supernatural young adult novel is perfect for fans of Kelley Armstrong, Alyson Noël, Richelle Mead, and Kimberly Derting.

Charlotte Westing has a gift. She is an Oracle and has the ability to tell the future. But it doesn't do her much good. Instead of using their miraculous power, modern day Oracles are told to fight their visions––to refrain from interfering. And Charlotte knows the price of breaking the rules. She sees it every day in her wheelchair-bound mother and the absence of her father. But when a premonition of a classmate's death is too strong for her to ignore, Charlotte is forced to make an impossible decision: continue following the rules or risk everything—even her sanity—to stop the serial killer who is stalking her town.


::Thank you Harper for the review copy!::

If Life After Theft was a breath of fresh air, Sleep No More took that fresh bit of air and stamped on it till it keeled over and died.

The problem with Sleep No More is that it's not necessarily a bad book, it's just a book that could've been a lot better and wasn't. It has such an interesting premise that could've gone so far but it...didn't. AND IT MADE ME SAD. I've come across a little bit about Oracles in fantasy books on occasion, but never a contemporary novel about a teenage girl Oracle trying to solve her school friends murders! SO MUCH PREMISE. And it failed. Miserably!

The achilles heel of this novel is Charlotte. Charlotte is many things, like naive, ridiculously ignorant at times when her life is in screamingly obvious danger, but most of all, Charlotte is an idiot. A MASSIVE idiot.

I found Charlotte an annoying character because although she was trying to do good she went around blindly trusting everyone and everything at face value. When she gets a text message from an anonymous person after one of her school friends is brutally murdered, telling Charlotte she could've stopped it, Charlotte doesn't think, "Oh! Some anonymous person is harassing me about something he definitely should not know about me...I should tell an adult like my Aunt who has brought me up my whole life warning me about how dangerous these types of people are!"

Does Charlotte do that? HAHA NO. She doesn't say anything and just stews over it silently until the anonymous person contacts her again and this time asks her to meet him. EVEN MORE REASON TO TELL AN ADULT, YES?! YES?!

Unfortunately, Charlotte doesn't think so and agrees to meet him.

http://media.tumblr.com/7d7bb9d7b2b4ba21d2ea7124264c03b2/tumblr_inline_mtt5qlOZ1a1s4kxph.gif

This person turns out to be a guy in his thirties called "Smith", who won't tell Charlotte his real name but happily tells her he's been watching stalking her since she was a kid and knows she's an Oracle. UM IS IT JUST ME OR IS SOMETHING JUST A LITTLE BIT WRONG THERE???!!! Add to the fact that "Smith" repeatedly tells Charlotte, "not to tell anyone about him otherwise he could be in danger", and there is something HIDEOUSLY weird going on here!

Instead of improving, Sleep No More just got more and more frustrating as well as REALLY slow. I can see other people enjoying this book if you're in the right mind for it, but I wasn't and too many things bugged me.

Instead of being called Sleep No More, this book should be called, Ella is unable to sleep no more because she's too busy silently gnashing her teeth and glaring at the ceiling because this book disappointed her so. Ahem.





Your turn now! What do you like more? Female POVs in books or Male? Both?! SPILL! And am I the only one that finds it SO INCREDIBLY IRRITATING when a character in a book doesn't even THINK of possibly going to a family member/trusted adult for advice/help???!!!

4 comments :

  1. I hate characters who keep quiet about things that any normal person would IMMEDIATELY tell someone about!!! >.< It's so frustrating. I think Life After Theft sounds like a fun read. But I don't think I could handle Sleep No More, I think it would bug me to the extreme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd really enjoy LIFE AFTER THEFT, Charnell! I don't really think you'd like SLEEP NO MORE but who knows until you try it. ;)

      Delete
  2. Life After Theft was one of my favorite books of 2013 - SO GOOD. Ugh, Sleep No More sounds frustrating. I hate it when characters don't tell someone what they're going through especially when it's dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life After Theft sounds so good. I need to add this to my TBR. I was seriously laughing reading your review for Sleep No More! That synopsis alone was a big nope for me, and I can always tell when a book will bother me to no end, and Charlotte and I would definitely not get along. As far as YA goes, I actually love the Male POV more. I don't really no why, but I connect to them more. I think it may have to do with the fact that I have more male friends than female, making the characters I read about easier to relate to, but I do enjoy the female perspective as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments and every single one makes my day! Check back, because I do reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...