Sunday, 24 May 2015

Welcome to a Slice of Ella's YOUNGER brain: A Letter to WILD AWAKE by Hilary T. Smith {*stabs book repeatedly with fork*}


 


A millennium ago, in May last year, I read a book called Wild Awake. That book made me SO angry that I wrote a letter to it, in an incredibly dramatized fashion because I thought it would it would help let off a little steam. IT DIDN'T WORK. I just got angrier, and I remember last year, in a Top Ten Tuesday list I was blathering on about how much I hated this book, and I remember asking if anyone would be interested in reading the dramatic letter I wrote to it. A few people said Yes! I'm interested!, and I was like, Cool! I'll post it soon! And then forgot all about it.

More then a year later, I stumbled over my letter to the damn book on Goodreads and was pretttty much like OMG OMG OMG OMG I. DID. NOTTTTT. WRITE. THISSSS!!! ZOMG I DID WRITE THIS!!! WHAT WAS WRRRRRONG WITH ME??!! *brain implodes with embarrassment* And then I thought, Hey! I could make this into that blog post that I promised all of last year ago, and wail under my duvet while the internet reads it! So I did.

I would just like to remind you all before you read on that I WROTE THIS OVER A YEAR AGO. I was FOURTEEN nearly fifteen and frankly, I was an idiot. IT'S ALSO SUPPOSED TO BE A LITTLE DRAMATIC. I realize that by the end, it sounds like I'm on drugs, BUT I SWEAR, I was just having a fuming moment and also my overactive imagination took over.


HERE IS THE LETTER. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK. You can see my little aggressive comments in brackets and italics at the end of each paragraph.

**

Dear Wild Awake,

I wanted to love you. You will never know how much.

When I first saw your beautiful cover peeping out from the 'New Books' shelf at the library, I knew that you and I were meant to meet each other (there is a moral to this story, people). I took you in my hands and held you reverently before turning you over to read your blurb. Your blurb was a list! A LIST. In that moment, time stood still and you looked deep into my eyes and smiled. And in that moment, I knew that we were meant to be together. I took you home and even before I'd opened your covers, we had announced our engagement and set a date for the wedding. [*stutters* OMG THAT LAST SENTENCE MAKES ME ME WANT TO BE SICK.]

When I finally sat down and opened you up prepared to learn every line of your soul, I started your first chapter and thought that to get to the soul you had to read deeper then the first chapter...don't you? I read another two chapters and told myself that I needed to relax. No one was perfect. I would love you anyway. I read another five chapters and and learnt that you had many sordid secrets: you drank, did drugs and swore when it was most definitely not needed. I decided you must be a diamond; you have to dig deep to find them and they are always rough around the edges. I decided I would help you through your habits and our relationship would become stronger because of it. [NOOOOOO THIS ISN'T HAPPENINNNNNNNNG.]

Seven chapters on, I set you down, and wondered if you actually had a soul. I was wading through so much grime and filth I didn't see any sign of a shining, sparkling soul that I was so sure I would find when I began my journey with you. When I finally finished you and closed your covers for the last time, I wept. I beat your chest and screamed at you through tear filmed eyes, asking how you could've lied to me. I told you that the engagement was broken and that the wedding was off I then sent you packing, down the Library 'Book Returns' and swore never to see you again. [*headdesks until loses consciousness*]

I still bump into you on occasion. Normally when I least expect it. Sometimes I'm just browsing and then you suddenly pop up. I always look away before memories of the time I was with you, escape from the locked box in my mind. Sometimes the lock isn't strong enough though, and memories whirl around my head like a tornado before I manage to wrestle them back into their box. [WHAT WAS I THINNNNNIKING WHEN I WROTE THIS?????!!!!!!]

I saw you again the other day. But this time you weren't by yourself. You were tucked under a girl's arm, and she was looking at you like you were the most precious thing in the world. My vision turned red and hands clenched into fists. I wanted to run over to her and scream at her not to do it, to dump you where you stood and run while she had the chance, that you would break her heart like you did to mine. But I didn't. I just stood watching her walk out with you, looking into each others eyes. [*dies*]

Moral of the story: Don't read books just because they have pretty covers. This is how hearts and words are broken.

**


Well! I hope you all enjoyed that, because I'm am SO close to throwing myself off the nearest cliff. I DON'T THINK I CAN BE TRUSTED TO EVER WRITE ANOTHER WORD EVER AGAIN. *dies slowly* But it's time for me to stop blathering on and for you lot of the internet to tell me what YOU think!! Have you read Wild Awake?! Do you want to?! Would you be interested in seeing more letters to books I don't like on here (obviously less dramatic)?!

9 comments :

  1. This is great!!! Your letter made me laugh so much (14 year old you is quite funny when she's angry) and I don't really feel the need to read Wild Awake after reading your letter but I would love to read more letters like this! And don't bother toning them down because they are hilarious as they are!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS. XD It's great that you liked it! :) I'll definitely post some more letters :')

      Delete
  2. That was hilarious! You were a very... unique 14 year old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knoooow. ;') Thankfully I've become less dramatic, hehe (or at least I HOPE I have, lol).

      Delete
  3. LOL this post made my day Ella. This is absolutely hilarious. I don't think this book and I would do very well together either based on what you've written here, so I think I'll take your advice and give it a miss. Thank you for providing me with my entertainment for the day - haha! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well that was hilarious. And also terribly written. I completely agree-some books have so much unecessary 'rebellion' when really it's just teenagers being stupid *prim voice* we are SO much better than that. Letters are fun! I'd be happy to see more of them :)
    Shanti @http://weavingwaveswords.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have loved to have gone to that wedding, Ella ^w^ Nice post! *fades back into the depths of the internet*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, that was certainly...something. Had me dying from laughter. The drama in that letter is the equivalent of the drama present in reality TV shows. I don't think I could ever read Wild Awake, as it would risk facing your wrath!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that was a great letter, actually!! It definitely made me laugh :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments and every single one makes my day! Check back, because I do reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...