Monday, 9 February 2015

Review: Every Breath by Ellie Marney (ALL THE FEEEEEEELS.)



18080011
Publisher: Allen & Unwin
Release Date: September 1st 2013
Pages:335
Source: Review copy off Netgalley!
Purchase: The Book Depository
Read it in: 2 and a bit hours
WORD RATING: NOWORDSJUSTGOANDREADITNOW
Rachel Watts is an unwilling new arrival to Melbourne from the country. James Mycroft is her neighbour, an intriguingly troubled seventeen-year-old genius with a passion for forensics. Despite her misgivings, Rachel finds herself unable to resist Mycroft when he wants her help investigating a murder. And when Watts and Mycroft follow a trail to the cold-blooded killer, they find themselves in the lion's den - literally.
A night at the zoo will never have quite the same meaning again...

 Review

 Two years ago in September 2013, Young Ella was meandering around the YA section of her library, when she paused at the "New Releases" shelf. Her eyes paused on a book with a rather unappetizing cover, called Every Breath, and because she didn't have much else in her library bag, and she thought the blurb sounded slightly interesting, she plopped Every Breath in her bag and went home to have lunch and finish schoolwork. Later that afternoon, while doing maths equations that were not the most interesting thing to do on a quiet afternoon, Young Ella tossed her maths book to the floor and decided to have a break. She emptied her library bag onto her bed and wondered what she should try first. Deciding to try Every Breath, because she felt like a good mystery, Young Ella cracked open the book's covers and settled down to read for 10 minutes.

3 hours later, and not a thought about the maths book that lay forgotten crumpled on the floor during that time, Young Ella closed the book feeling like sobbing. For she had just read the most marvellous, beautiful, stunning, hilarious, AMAZING book in the whole wide world. It had the most wonderful gritty mystery that satisfied Young Ella's internal critic; It had the most amazing flowing writing style in the whole world, that made her sigh on every page; it was so damn funny that she found herself almost crying at times; but most of all, IT HAD THE BESTEST, MOST REAL, MOST BEAUTIFUL TOGETHER, MOST PULL AT THE HEARTSTRINGS WANT TO CRY IN ALL IT'S ADORABLENESS, MOST SHIPPABLE ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIP IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD OF YA.

You really have no idea how much I love this book. Like, REALLY, YOU HAVE NO IDEA. But let's try, shall we?! Yes, lets TRY (no promises tho).

 http://media.tumblr.com/b848ce0903b163a1205cb13143985e28/tumblr_inline_miz15a0iuz1qz4rgp.gif

Because I love this book so much, and I don't know how to tell you about  how much I love it coherently, I SHALL LIST MY 5 FAVOURITE THINGS ABOUT IT. ( because lists are the most wonderful of things). And hopefully, that will be enough for you to either scuttle off and buy a copy or  reserve it from your library.

1. IT'S CLASSIC AUSSIE STYLE WRITING. As in, sharp, fresh, and tight writing with the sprinkling of snark because it's AUSSIE WRITING. No saggy sentances, purple prose, or anything badly written lies here.

2. THE CHARACTERS ARE TRULY THE BEST THING SINCE MARMITE. No bitchy down putting best friend (Mai, Rachel's friend was seriously the BEST and so supportive), and each character has so many dimensions, it was fantastic! Not a flat pancake person in sight!

3. THE HUMOUR IS FANTASTIC. I giggled on what felt like every page! Some of it was just so funny, it had me sputtering for ages.

4. WE ACTUALLY HAD FRIENDSHIP COME BEFORE ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIP! *cheers* NOTHING is worse, then when you have this amazing friendship between a guy and a girl...AND THEN IT'S RUINED, when the author decides to make them romantically involved, and then all friendship between them rushes down the drain. THIS DID NOT HAPPEN HERE! The romance NEVER took over the story, and the friendship ALWAYS came first, which made me oh so happy! The romance is seriously one of the best I've ever read and SO shippable, I swear! I JUST LOVE THEM TO PIECES OKAY??!!

5. RACHEL'S FAMILY. YAAAAAAAY for families in YA that ARE ACTUALLY THERE. Not mysteriously *busy* the whole time and not around. Rachel's family was tight knit, and I loved how her parents responded when she did something they said was a no-no. They didn't do it to hurt her, they did it to try and keep her safe BECAUSE THEY LOVE HER. And sometimes as a parent you have to make crappy decisions to keep your kids safe! And also yaaaaay for sibling relationships! Mike was an awesome big brother and the relationship he and Rachel had was great (I have an older brother, so I can totally relate to Rachel).


BASICALLY, this is just seriously the best book ever, ok?! Everything about Every Breath is frabjous, and I just, ASDFGHJKL. GO READ IT FOR YOURSELF!

Rating

 
Before you run off and grab yourself a copy of Every Breath (because you are...AREN'T YOU *foreboding stare*), tell me a favourite murder mystery book or TV show that you love!!


16 comments :

  1. I can feel your enthusiasm for this book all the way from Aussie-land, girl xD I absolutely adore this series as well and I am so so excited and nervous about starting Every Move which I just got the other week. THE EXCITEMENT IS TOO MUCH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! I'm pleased to know it travelled that far hehe x)

      I KNOOOOOOOOW I'M SO JELLY OF ALL THE PEOPLE THAT GOT EARLY COPIES BECAUSE MY LIBRARY IS SO SLOW IN GETTING IT BUT AT THE SAME TIME I DON'T WANT THE BEAUTIFUL SERIES TO END AND SO BASICALLY I HAVE PROBLEMS.

      I am soooooo looking forward to your review!!

      Delete
  2. I don't think I've ever read a book by an Aussie, *hides under a table to dodge rotten tomatoes* but Every Breath seems like the perfect place to start. It kind of is an appetizing cover, but if the contents are good, I can overlook that. I'm so excited that there are actually mentions of family and friendship in this book, because those two elements are annoyingly absent in most YA books. I obviously need to read Every Breath right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *throws table AND rotten tomatoes at you* Oh Ana, you have NO IDEA what you're missing out on!! Aussie writing is just soooo good and wonderful and brilliant and just plain AMAZING. Get your hands on Every Breath soon BECAUSE YOU NEED TOO. Your life is not complete without it!! *pushes you towards library*

      Delete
  3. *hyperventilates* I actually own this book. I won it. AND NOW I WANT TO READ IT SO BADLY AND I CANNOT EVEN. I'M READINGY A DORKY BOOK RIGHT NOW AND IT'S MAKING ME SAD AND I JUST WANNA THROW EVERYTHING AND GO READ THIS. CONSIDER ME CONVINCED, ELLA. YOU HAVE DONE WELL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAT ARE YOU DOOOOOING WITH YOUR LIFE CAIT???!!!!!!!!!!! I DEMAND YOU DROP EVERY BOOK RIGHT THIS MINUTE AND GO READ IT NOW. NO EXCUSES. YOU HAVE IT IN YOUR BOOKSHELF FOR GOODNESS SAKE. *points finger*

      Delete
  4. BREATHING HEAVY (that was a sponge lady video reference. seriously, just watch the sponge lady video. I'm serious. google "sponge lady") Whoops I got off track. This book was honestly my favorite thing in the whole wide world. HOLY HELL the friendship to love romance was, was, was, *squees* I don't even know. Now here I am, sitting in America land, waiting many months for the next book to be released here. Hopefully I have bullied my friend into sending me a copy of Every Word while she's living in Australia. I can dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG THE SECOND BOOK IS BEYOND AMAZING. LIKE I WANT TO START WEEPING BITTER TEARS WHEN I THINK ABOUT IT. Just to be annoying, I'll tease you with the fact the romance is BEYOND AMAZING. Rachel is amazing. Mycroft goes through a dick phase but then turns awesome again. I kinda want to cry when I think of poor Rachel. OMG RACHEL THE THINGS THAT HAPPEN TO YOU. *starts sobbing* Every Word is darker then Every Breath too. HAVE I ANNOYED YOU YET??!!

      I must now go and look up this mysterious SPONGE LADY. *goes off to google*

      Delete
  5. I absolutely loved this one too Ella. I thought it might have been overhyped, as I tend not to have much luck with books everyone else seemed to love, but I absolutely adored it. The mystery, the slow burning romance, it was fabulous! Being set in my hometown really added to the visuals too, I could imagine Watts and Mycroft prowling around the park looking for clues. I can't wait to get started on book two soon. Brilliant review poppet <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every Word is AMAZING!!! I honestly can;t decide if I love it better then Every Breath, but I think I love Every Breath just that tiny bit more. ;) SOOOO GOOD THOUGH. Hope you love it, Kelly!

      Delete
  6. Wow, you sure do love this book! xD I don't read much of books like this but I think I'm going to start now because you totally piqued my curiosity with all these excitements!
    Azee @ UnderCover Critique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAAAAAAAYYY!!!!! *hops up and down in excitement* Tell me when you start reading it, ok??!! I WANT TO KNOW. :D

      Delete
  7. I have heard SUCH good things about this book and I love shippy, wonderful romances so I shall DEFINITELY be picking this up! GREAT REVIEW! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THIS IS THE SHIP OF ALL SHIPS KYRA xD I DEMAND YOU GO AND READ IT RIGHT NOW. GO. SHOO. NOOOOOOW!

      Delete
  8. Okay... it's not fair!!! I AM SO DESPERATE FOR THIS BOOK. I've seen nothing but amazing reviews but I can't get a copy anywhere. All the UK websites say it's not out here yet, which is so unfair considering the 3rd is out in some places. DAMN IT! I NEED IT! It sounds so good and I want it so badly *cries*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU NEED IT CHARNELL YOU NEED IT!! :D And I read and loved the the third book a few weeks ago. :P

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments and every single one makes my day! Check back, because I do reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...