Friday, 20 February 2015

4 Mini Reviews: The Paper Magician // Blood Oath // Shadow Study // Ticker {4 books that didn't stay with me}

Today, I have 4 mini reviews that ended up turning into mini long rants! Enjoy them to your little brain's content. Just to let you know, I'm away for 3-4 days, so will be back answering comments and checking my overflowing blogfeed on Tuesday! I'd also like to say thanks times a billion for the enthusiasm over my "If I was a book, what Book would I be?!" post!! You internetions are seriously beyond awesome!


20727654

The Paper Magician by Charlie N. Holmberg

The Paper Magician had an amazing premise but unfortunately failed in the delivery. I couldn't connect to any of the characters, and mainly found it an incredibly boring read which I DNF'd at 41%. People that like descriptive writing and stories that take the going slowly will more then likely enjoy it more then me.

Honestly, this a good book, and well worth reading, but only if you have the time and energy to settle down and dedicate yourself to it. Seeing as I am not the most patient person at any time, it just comes down to it, that it's not you, book, it's me.

DNF.



Blood Oath by Felicity Pulman

Blood Oath used to be called Rosemary for Remembrance, and when I was a little 11-year-old and just starting my frabjous adventure in the world of YA, I stumbled across this book and was utterly enchanted by it. Being a huge history AND having an a massive interest in the powers of herbs this was right up my alley, and I went on to read the rest of the series that I could find. Sadly, my library didn't stock the last 2 books, so I never found out what happened to Janna and if she got a satisfying conclusion to her tale. So when I saw Blood Oath up for request on Netgalley, a month ago, I realized it was Rosemary for Remembrance, just being republished and renamed. Obviously I requested it and was gleeful when I got approved, fully expecting to absolutely love it all over again, but damn, I was SO wrong. Janna was a completely annoying brat of a girl, and was an idiot for most of the book. I'd forgotten how drama llamad the love triangle was as well. The writing was a lot more basic then what I remembered as well. Disappointed? VERY. Be carrying on with the series? I'm not sure. If they're anything like this one, I'll be running far, far away. 2/5


16130758 Shadow Study by Maria V. Snyder


 Shadow Study is the 4th book in the Soulfinder's series, that I thought was a trilogy, but recently turned into a six book series. Eight years have passed since Fire Study was published and I was shocked in December when I discovered that there were 3 new books to be released in the series, with Shadow Study coming out this March. I was half excited but mostly extremely apprehensive about Shadow Study, mainly for the fact that after the amazeballs that was Poison Study, Magic Study lacked that literary punch in the emotions, and Fire Study was completely dismal in EVERY way.

Unfortunately, Shadow Study, was pretty much craptastic from page 1, which made me horribly upset throughout the whole book. I think the thing that bothered me the most, was the fact that Yelena our MC, is 28-years-old here. AND THIS BOOK IS YA. In Poison Study, Yelena had just turned 20, but I was ok with that because the book was brilliant, and it wasn't a big factor, but I honestly think that having a 28-year-old main character in a YA book, is not only stupid, but doesn't even make sense. YA is called YA for a reason! The story was pretty drab, and the writing was so basic. The ending was not only PATHETIC, but didn't add to the book at all. 2/5 (i'm being nice)





19223830 
 Ticker by Lisa Mantchev

 Ticker, was a read now on Netgalley, which I just couldn't resist, especially after seeing that eye-catching cover! While I really enjoyed the story and the romance was pretty cute, apart from the slight insta love factor. Unfortunately, while I really liked this one, it didn't stand out in any way from any other steampunk book I've read. It didn't leave any lingering impact, which I was kind of hoping from it, but it was still an enjoyable read, especially if you're looking for a light one. 3.5/5









What book has let YOU down, recently?!

21 comments :

  1. Aw that sucks about Shadow Study. I also thought Poison Study was fantastic, and the next two were pretty eh. I was hoping this one would get back to the former glory of Poison Study. I've been wondering if her other series is any good too, I think it's called Glass, and it takes place in the same world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knooooooooow. :'( Poison Study was awesome tomes 10, and the rest of the series was blaaah. -_-

      Urgh, I really disliked the Glass series, and found them really weak and annoying, but you might like them! I should probably reread the first book sometime to see if my feelings have changed, as I always hate it when I adore SOME books from an author, then hate the rest. >.> *sighs*

      Delete
  2. I hate meh books. They're almost the WORST kind because it's so hard to feel anything about them. Just meeeeeeh. I'm sad The Paper Magician is so sucky because, I won't lie: cover and title ROCK. And I haven't had any lucky with Maria V Synder. Everyone told me A Touch of Magic was hilarious and Throne-of-Glass worthy and nooooo. I was so bored. *goes to sit in corner of shame*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meh books annoy me, because if I HATE a book, at least that's a strong emotion, but it being meh, I literally have nothing to say about it!
      I really thought I'd love The Paper Magician! And I didn't and I was sad. -_-

      Delete
  3. NOOOoooo I'm sorry you didn't enjoy The Paper Magician :( I have a copy from NetGalley, and I'm doubtful to read it because I see a lot of reviews out there that are DNF reviews. Now I don't know when I'll be picking it up for review :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you have more then luck then I did, Jillian!! I just couldn't connect with it and it was incredibly boring, but maybe that's just me?! It was beautiful written!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THIS COMMENT.... JUST.... LOL! Gah... I HATE SPAM!

      Delete
    2. LOL, I know right?! I'm tempted to leave it up there just because it's funny, but NO I SHALL KILL IT WITH THE DELETE BUTTON! xD Mwahahahaha!

      Delete
  5. Brilliant mini reviews!!! :) Meh books are so annoying, especially as they can leave you with very little to say. I was confused to hear they were doing three more books in the Study series, especially since I enjoyed book 1, but book 2 stopped me from wanting to continue on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poison Study was SO GOOOD, and then Magic Study was...I DON'T EVEN KNOW. :'(( Makes me so sad. -_-

      Delete
  6. Oh dear, I was hoping that you liked The paper magician because the cover is so nice!!! I seriously need to train myself to judge books by their covers but nope, I'm totally failing. Sorry that most of these were misses for you, girl :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOWS. THAT COVER IS SO PRETTEH. Thanks Mellybean.

      Delete
  7. Heya, I have nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award! Check out my blog for more information/what to do next!

    http://thedarlingbookworm.blogspot.ca/2015/02/the-versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaaah thank you!! :D I'll come and check out the tag soon.

      Delete
  8. Aww! Sorry you didn't like most of the books (though Shadow Society has an interesting name, even if it's the exact title of Marie Rutkoski's The Shadow Society). Hope your next book will be better! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Paper Magician just has about the best cover ever. (LOVE AT IT, THE BEAUTIFUL THING Quenching the Quill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ach, Google ate up my whole comment. WHERE DID IT GO? -_-

      It's such a shame that The Paper Magician was *meh* after that promising cover and name and everything.

      I've not been able to really get into a book and drown in the pages lately. Book slumps are SO ANNOYING. And it doesn't help that I'm grounded from buying new books. I've turned to Wattpad and e-books instead XD

      Delete
  10. Now I'm nervous to start Poison Study! It sounds like a YA classic fantasy novel that I just NEED to read. It seems like the series goes downhill though... I'll be weary. Lovely reviews <33

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nooooo, Shadow Study was bad??? I really want to read that series.... Was the rest of the series any better? It better have been!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments and every single one makes my day! Check back, because I do reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...