Saturday, 3 January 2015

Review: Heir Of Fire by Sarah J. Maas (ASDFGHJKL)


"I'm late! I'm late! For a very important date!" Ella wailed in despair and she cried a great sea of embarrassed tears.
You have no idea HOW guilty I feel for posting this review so late! Heir of Fire was released over 4 months ago, and I got an ARC of it for goodness sake! What is wrong with me??!!

Well, I have reasons.

Reason 1: When this review is finally done and dusted, the truth that Heir Of Fire is ACTUALLY OVER and Book 4 isn't even a speck on the horizon...excuse me, but my feels have just DIED, so I'm just going to chuck myself of this cliff that happens to be so handily nearby.

Reason 2: I don't think I could do this book justice with my pathetic review. Every time I try and write it, I just stare at a blank page and feel, well...STUPID. I honestly didn't (and still don't) think any words of mine could say what this book really is.

So this isn't a review really, more a wild train of fizzly bubbly waves of emotion, with the title 'review' hanging lopsidedly on the title. SO DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU.

http://media.tumblr.com/211b632b56d0a8e05e7f60839a2f8f76/tumblr_inline_mtwzgmxAfz1rzcguq.gif


http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/sjmaas/709898/72486/72486_original.jpg
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Release Date: September 2nd 2014
Source: NetGalley for review!
Purchase: The Book Depository
Read it in: 4-5 hours
Word Rating: MIND BLOWN!! 


Lost and broken, Celaena Sardothien’s only thought is to avenge the savage death of her dearest friend: as the King of Adarlan’s Assassin, she is bound to serve this tyrant, but he will pay for what he did. Any hope Celaena has of destroying the king lies in answers to be found in Wendlyn. Sacrificing his future, Chaol, the Captain of the King’s Guard, has sent Celaena there to protect her, but her darkest demons lay in that same place. If she can overcome them, she will be Adarlan’s biggest threat – and his own toughest enemy.
While Celaena learns of her true destiny, and the eyes of Erilea are on Wendlyn, a brutal and beastly force is preparing to take to the skies. Will Celaena find the strength not only to win her own battles, but to fight a war that could pit her loyalties to her own people against those she has grown to love?



http://media.giphy.com/media/oxLgK1Rrubpba/giphy.gif
Add caption

If Throne of Glass was the introduction, Crown of Midnight was the emotional action packed punch in the feels, then Heir Of Fire was to me, where all the back story comes into focus and we get to look right into the characters souls.


Some people didn't like this. I GET IT! There was no Choalaena, *bawls* No heart racing action like in Crown Of Midnight. Everyone is sad and broken. There's little lightness. But y'know what? I loved every moment of it.

Celaena's attitude was seriously...dampened in Heir Of Fire. You can't blame her though, with the crap she's gone through, but paired with Choal being a wet sock and all that, the book was truly miserable in some places. I enjoyed seeing this more emotional side of Celaena, but by the end of Heir of Fire I was getting tired of it. I MISS THE OLD CELAENA! BRING HER BACK!!

 http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbji98VD401r7zjhx.gif

I really disliked Rowan. Everyone else in the blogosphere seems to be head over heels with him...but I just don't get why! And then I get extremely twitchy when people start dropping Choalena like a hot coal and saying "We ship Rowena!" NOOOOO. Choal may have had the attitude of a wet sock during most of Heir of Fire, but at least he doesn't have psychopathic qualities like Rowan did throughout most of the book. I felt like everyone forgot how truly awful Rowan was to Celaena in the beginning and I can't forgive him for that. And ANYWAY, I felt the whole point Maas put Rowan in Heir of Fire was to show you CAN have a close relationship with a guy WITHOUT ANY ROMANTICAL INTEREST *shocked gasp* (am I showing to much of my inner 3-year-old? Possibly.) In the world of YA these days, that is VERY hard to find. Plus, Rowan's like a thousand years old. EW.

http://media.giphy.com/media/XIKm9vocWWdJm/giphy.gif
CAN YOU HEAR ME ROWAN??!!

Dorian and Sorscha were THE CUTEST COUPLE EVERRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so glad they found each other because they were just SO beautiful together!! I know some people didn't like Sorscha, but I adored her! I thought her and Dorian suited each other so well until, Y'KNOW, Ardian The Arsehole chopped off Sorscha's head IN FRONT OF POOR DORIAN!!! I may or may not almost exploded in rage and almost threw Montgomery The Kindle out the window. Possibly.!!

I was so upset when Sorscha was murdered (RIGHT IN FRONT OF DORIAN!!!!!), but afterwards, I realized I could kind of see it coming. My heart broke though, when Ardian clapped the evil iron collar thingy around Dorian's neck like he was a dog that needed to be muzzled, it was almost tear inducing (not quite though. My stone cold heart, didn't completely defrost)! MY POOR LIWTLE PEANUT. WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN TO MY PUMPKIN??????!!!!!!! *crys*

http://media.giphy.com/media/PRAc9AnBCbW80/giphy.gif


Choal. OH CHOAL. You didn't show your most impressive sides to us, that's for sure. To be completely blunt Choal acted like a very soggy wet sock. I thought I was bad at making decisions and agonizing over the smallest things, but Choal wins every medal in that area! Thankfully though, I think Choal will be back to his old self in TOG #4 which is going to be OH SO FRABJOUS.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/giphymedia/media/8IyjrLeRvlNDy/giphy.gif


Manon and Abraxos were possibly my favourite part of Heir Of Fire. I'm just, I literally CANNOT SAY HOW MUCH I LOVE THEM, asdfghjklasdfghjklasdfghjkl!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://data.whicdn.com/images/32129227/tumblr_m6s63y6eQm1rq9fz6_large.gif

And was I the only one that thought Abraxos was almost exactly like Toothless from How to Train Your Dragon??!!!
https://33.media.tumblr.com/d612787debeb01bc38418776ccf77cf5/tumblr_mu8rpcG5Wj1rrecxqo5_500.gif

http://media.tumblr.com/5ecf7f7b0c2aa45fa6be5c4d0fb76f8e/tumblr_inline_ml0fwcqzE71rblhav.gif

http://24.media.tumblr.com/ed3ed33d068f3d6d388c7a226661a792/tumblr_n1zh1bn0X31s374jco1_500.gif

 http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lryewbzBS81qlryiq.gif

*flails wildly* YOU FLOWER SMELLING WORM YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



I really think Throne of Glass #4 (WE NEED A TITLE AND COVER AND CLOSER RELEASE DATE DAMMIT!!) is going to be such utter perfection! Maas has built up all this tension (*screams with nerves*) and I really think book #4 is going to be AMAZING!!!

Mab scared the heck out of me! I didn't particually care for Aedion - although saying that I'm INCREDIBLY nervous about Aedion meeting up with Celaena again. *chews fingernails down to stubs*

Basically: I loved this book to the stars and back. Full of beautiful writing (I swear every sentence had something quotable!), heart wrenching characters and just the most amazing story...bluhb. I'M TEARING UP HERE, OK?!!



Characters summed up


Celaena Watery bag of miserable emotions

Choal = Wet Sock

Dorian = POOR LIWTLE PEANUT.

Manon = BEYOND GLORIOUS!

Abraxos = Adorable flower smelling worm *screams feverishly*

Aedion = Idiot

Rowan = Bigger idiot and ahole

Queen Mab = Queen Like Psychopath

King Ardian = Total Fishhead

Everyone else = Brillopants!

Basically...

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Troy-Community-Emotions.gif



Rating:

5 billion stars out of 5!!


What did you think of Heir of Fire???!!! Liked, loved, disliked, hated...TELL ME!!  LIST ME YOUR EMOTIONS!!

10 comments :

  1. Ahhh these gifs. are golden, Ella! I absolutely adore Sarah J Maas' writing, and I can totally see your enthusiasm for this novel.

    Lovely review, hun! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I had to much fun looking up those gifs, I tell you. ;) Hehe, I may have come over a tad little enthusiastic in my review but that's my rather scary style. *shrugs*

      <33

      Delete
  2. I SHIP CHAOLENA FOREVER. Even though I can't spell it. Gosh, I can't even spell Celaena's name. Is it AE after the L or EA? WELL WHATEVER. Miss Kick-Butt Sardothien. I loved her. I loved her character development and that Maas showed she wasn't just going to power though everything with no emotions. SHE HAS EMOTIONS. And needs. And she makes crappy mistakes. *hugs Celaena* Dorian and Sorscha broke my soul.
    AND THE CLIFF HANGER ENDING?!!! *flails and dies*
    I WILL NEVER BE OKAY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT IS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL SHIP IN THE WORLD! Heh, I have to google Celaena's name EVERY time, because I can't remember how to spell it >.> #hopeless

      OH DO WE NEED TOG #4 LIKE NOW OR WHAT.

      Delete
  3. WOW! That is some reaction HAHAH You seem very violent after reading Heir of Fire LOL Sadly, I didn't react the same way you did. Crown of Midnight was one of my favorite reads, I gave it 5 stars. I'm a romantic so you already know the reason why I loved it so…but Heir of Fire didn't have the same spark…most of it was just training and getting to know more of the new setting in the book. It wasn't to my liking… :( SO sad, but I'm still looking forward to the next book hihi

    www.lite-rate-ture.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it makes you feel any better... I haven't read the entire series.

    I will now run away back into my blog. You will not find me there unless you try REALLY HARD. >:3

    ReplyDelete
  5. JESUS H. CHRIST I LOVED THIS BOOK. I'm going to have to agree with you that Chaolaena is the ship of a lifetime. I like Rowan best as a totally platonic bestie for Celaena. I'm also going to have to disagree with you on Rowan. I ADORED HIM. ADORED. *flails wildly* Sorry, but I think his attitude towards Celaena was totally justfied at fist. They didn't really know eachother, and to be fair, Celaena dished it right at him. Then Rowan started getting all mother henny and I loved every minute of it.

    Also, another disagreement, but I hated Sorscha. She was boring and plain and I sorta totally saw it coming at the end. I am not upset. Sorry not sorry.

    I also had a soft spot for Aedion (how can we disagree on such vital characters and still love HoF to the same extreme level?). Whatever, I'm pumped for him to swear his total allegiance to Celaena and I will weep tears of joy. P-U-M-P-E-D PUMPED

    Someone hold me while I pine for ToG4

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your review is amazing. So don't feel bad at posting it late, at least it's awesome and you are flailing wildly about the book. I really did enjoy the book, even though I missed Chaolaena!

    THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! Somebody else who doesn't understand all the love for Rowan and how people could even think of shipping it. NO, NO NOOOOO! It Rowaena ever became a thing I would get SO ANNOYED >.<

    Sorscha... yeah, I'm sorry but I didn't like her. I didn't hate her or anything, I just thought her character was really boring. And I saw the end coming, so it made her feel like JUST a plot device and nothing more. I don't know. I just didn't buy the romance and everything. Who knows.

    I NEED BOOK FOUR. I NEED IT! I NEED IT! I NEED IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woo hoo, Heir of Fire review! Somehow, I have not read very many of these. But if it reminds me full on how amazing this book was, then I am happy. So ONWARDS!

    I like Rowan, personally. You know my feelings about Celaena and relationships (my gosh, all these OTP names are shocking and terrifying and amazing me!) and I don’t know if she and he would be in a relationship together, but I do like him, and I like his effect on her. He is a git in the beginning, if I remember correctly, but for what he does and what she learns and everything that makes them, I am grateful for him.

    AND THAT ENDING! HOW emotional and turbulent and stressful, yet wonderful. Book four, come hither! Fly, my dear, fly!

    (AND I totally agree. So much quotable. I need to go through my copy with a pencil and underline everything.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought the book was so FABULOUS and your review was great up until the Rowan section.....
















































































































































































































































    well. . . .

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments and every single one makes my day! Check back, because I do reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...