Wednesday, 15 October 2014

BLOG TOUR: Eren by Simon P. Clark (pass me a torch...NOW)

Hellllllo, Wonderlings!!  Today it is my great pleasure and excitement to be part of the EREN blog tour!! YAYYYYY!!!  It's my first ever blog tour and what a book to start with!



17795362
Publisher: Constable & Robinson
Release Date: September 18th 2014
Pages: 208
Source: For review and blog tour!!
Purchase: The Book Depository
Read it in: 1 1/2 hours
Word Rating: CREEEEPY
People are keeping secrets from Oli - about where his father is, and why he hasn't come to join them at his uncle's house in the country.

But Oli has secrets too.

He knows what lives in the attic. Eren - part monster, part dream, part myth. Eren who always seems so interested, who always wants to hear more about Oli's life. Eren, who needs to hear stories to live, and will take them from Oli, no matter the cost. ~Blurb from Goodreads~
.
 ***thank you times a million to Grave Vincent and Constable Robinson for sending me a review copy!!***
 
review

Eren is a rather hard book to review.  On one hand, you have all the delicious creepiness, and mystery and pretty much FRABJOUSNESS,and on the other...I was a little confused at times and the writing changed quickly from quite lyrically beautiful to choppy and confusing.  The story starts with Oli and his mother finding themselves in the country going to "visit" Oli's mother's brother's house after hurriedly leaving London in a rush that Oli doesn't really understand.


Oli was a fabulous main character and his personality suited the story well.  His voice was refreshingly sweet and tugged at my heart (my cold, frozen, made-of-stone-heart, may I add). Oli is frustrated how the adults won't tell him the truth, but at the same time, he already knows what's happened but hopes that the less he thinks about it, it might go away and everything will become fine.

Eren, oh, Eren!  What a fabulously twisted character you are!  Eren is a typical villain which made him more worrisome in my eyes.  He doesn't want to hurt people, "Not really," are his words, but he's so desperate for companionship and anything to take away the silence and only his own crazy chatter filling the empty void of his loneliness.

I loved the twisted stories/fairtales that Eren told as well!  They just tumbled out like a badly wound clashing coloured ball of wool , BUT I LOVED THEM.  Freaked me out a little, but it's good to be kept on your toes, yes?! ;)

Plot wise, there wasn't much, which would normally annoy me as I'm a very plotty person, but it worked well with Eren.


Rating:
3.5 Stars

Eren definitely leans towards MG not YA but I still think all ages would enjoy it!


Go and check back the other stops on the tour!




Tell me your most recent creepy read!!

24 comments :

  1. THIS SOUNDS EXCELLENTLY CREEPY. And I do like MG books as well. *adds to endless TBR*

    Plus...that cover is beautiful :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is insanely beautiful, and even more so in real life! XD I have it propped proudly on my bookshelf where I can gloat to everyone about, mwahaha!

      And it is verrrry creepy. You have been warned. ;)

      Delete
  2. That's one thing a creepy book needs, a sympathetic main character. Eren sounds like an awesome villain. Sounds like the book needs a little more ironing out though. I don't really read many creepy books. Does Harry Potter count? Those dementors are creepy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I totally agree! :)

      I don't really read many creepy books either. :) And, OF COURSE, Harry Potter counts! ;)

      Delete
  3. Let's see... I tend to read creepy books just for fun and measure it with a scare-a-meter. None of them have made it past to "Need the lights on." YET.

    Random Tip: Avoid The Catcher in the Rye if you like plots... it doesn't seem to have one. O_O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am FINE with blood and gore, but anything that's slightly scary freaks the heck out of me >.> SIGH. I am a wimp. -_-

      Delete
  4. ooh this one definitely seems fantastic! I've seen this cover around a few times, I love how simple it is :D

    lovely review, girl! <33

    ReplyDelete
  5. THIS SOUNDS AWESOME! It's a shame things were a bit confusing at times, but it sounds like it nailed the creepiness factor anyhow, which makes me happy. ;) Definitely going to consider giving this a try and, as always, fantastic review! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, great review! The cover to this one looks creepy but cool :)

    I'm looking for a co-blogger...and failing miserably. Hope you could check out my post :)

    http://fictionallyobsessed.blogspot.ca/2014/10/searching-for-co-blogger.html

    Olivia @ Fictionally Obsessed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is really creepy but it suits the book so well. ;)

      Delete
  7. Creepy? Yes please. I actually like the thought that it could be seen more as a middle grade and not so much young adult novel. Middle grade is more light on the creepy side and usually more quirky. Oli and Eren both sound like incredible characters. Thanks so much for sharing Ella, I'm definitely checking this one out <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review. This sounds like a very creepy read, perfect for this time of year. I have to admit that the fact there isn't much plot wise would probably get to me. But sometimes that can work if I become particularly invested in the characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if you'd enjoy this one, Charnell, but if you ever read it, let me know what you think!

      Delete
  9. Ella, I couldn't access you email address from my phone, but wanted to let you know that your question is posted and answered poppet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thanked you for that Kelly, but THANK YOU. <3

      Delete
  10. Oh my goooosh I want this book so bad. MONSTERS UNDER THE BED? Or in the attic. Pfft. Whatever. Bed attic it's all the same. Anyway...even if it is kind of MG I'd love to read this. (I loved A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness and that was decidedly MG.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review. This one has me torn, I can't quite decide whether it's something I want to read or not! I'm one of those who wants a lot of plot, but there are so many times where that proves to not be true haha. It depends on the book. Ehhhhh! I DON'T KNOW!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments and every single one makes my day! Check back, because I do reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...