Monday, 4 August 2014

A Letter to... WE WERE LIARS by E. Lockhart (i'm a hazelnut, hear me roar)



16143347
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Release Date: 13th May 2014
Pages: 240
Source: Library
Purchase: The Book Depository
Read it in: 2 hours
Word Rating: Liar.  Liar.  Liar.

A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.

We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart.

Read it.
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE. [blurb from goodreads]
.





Dear We Were Liars,


Let's imagine my feels as a hazelnut (I know.  Of all the dramatic things I could've picked to show my feels...I picked a hazelnut.  Gosh I have an intelligent brain).  

You looked like a book that the whole world had raved about, but when I opened you up, you transformed into a hammer (this is getting humiliating.) and proceeded to beat me, bash me, crack me, crunch me, and powder me (remember: I'm still a hazelnut) into a tiny pile of nutty emotions. 

Your writing was so beautiful and poetic it brought tears to my eyes.  It sang and danced  and made ghostly pictures out of air right in front of my eyes and it smelled of marshmellow and sharpie with hints of longing and envy and cracked beautiful on the edges.  And I swayed to it's hypnotic beat, utterly transfixed, eyes wide and dark.

Your characters made me blush with excitement, gasp and sigh wistfully, wanting to be  to be on the island with those beautiful liars, grin so hard my lip split and still I smiled through the thread of blood trickling down my chin.  I laughed, sang, danced, and sat with you while you talked of what I felt was magic.  

Then you ended.  1.) Why did you end?  You were supposed to go on forever you beautiful liars, living your simple and tangled lives.  2.)  Why did you have to end like that?  My stone heart broke but it was to late -- you were gone.  Burnt to cinder, all was left was ashes that were blown away by my heavy gasps of shock, and slipped out of my desperate grabbing fists and disappeared into the stars leaving me with memories, bitter memories now, tinted with smoke and tears.  You smashed me with one last smash and took my heart, before mashing the rest of me with cocoa and tears and turning me into hazelnut spread.

It is one thing to take one's heart, We Were Liars, but to leave the rest behind is a completely different thing altogether.  


Yours Forever (seeing as you have my heart),

Another Lying Liar [scroll down to see]




























By the way, I lied too.  I didn't love you at all.  I know.  I am a fantabulus liar.  And I'm still a whole hazelnut.  Not a powdered one.  Just so you know*.

*For people confused, what I mean, is that I didn't like/didn't enjoy We Were Liars.  I was annoyed at the whole book so decided to get my own back by writing a lying letter.  I still think people should give it a go if they want (goodness knows, the book blogosphere is pounding it into our brains [yes, there is a little resentment in those words, BUT WHY COULDN'T I LOVE IT LIKE THE REST OF THE WORLD DID, HUH?!] times twenty million times)!!  



Hope you enjoyed reading my letter as much as I had writing it!! XD
Interested in seeing any more?!

9 comments :

  1. Well, you were certainly convincing in your lie! :) I didn't like this much either. Well, some parts of it I did, but I just couldn't connect to the characters very much. But I love your letter, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! XD I'm so glad my *lie* was convincing, lol! x) AND YAY AGAIN, WE CAN BE BLACK SHEEP TOGETHER!!

      Delete
  2. Ella, how can you lie about being turned into hazelnut spread (that was particularly brilliant, by the way- the whole letter was quite beautiful)- that is not something to go about so easily, my dear? I mean, I don't actually EAT the stuff, but it's sacred.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hazelnut spread IS MOST DEFINITELY sacred!! :P Though, here in New Zealand we call it Nutella (IT HAS MY NAME IN IT), I called it hazelnut spread in the letter. :) *blushes* AW, THANKS XD Glad you liked it ;)

      AND WHY DON'T YOU EAT IT?????!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  3. OMG. BEST REVIEW EVER. I really was convinced by your letter...actually, as I was reading it, I was mentally thinking up of a comment like "YEAH! So glad you liked it too!" .... and then I read the bottom of the post. Haha! I really loved this one, but I'm sorry that you didn't like it as much as I did. Sometimes a book just isn't for you, you know?

    Nonetheless, it's no fun to feel like a black sheep. :/ Hopefully you enjoy your next book a bit more! Thanks for sharing, and wonderful review! <3

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HEHEHEHEHEHEHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! XD YAY! YOU WERE CONVINCED!! And oh my gosh, YES! I'm quite a black sheep among alot of popular books which saddens me to no end :( I WANT TO LOVE EVERY BOOK I DO but I'm to critical x/

      Thanks Zoe!! x

      Delete
  4. HAHA!!! I LOVE YOUR REVIEW! SO MUCH!

    But... I LOVED THIS BOOK. Haha. So now I feel you must forgive me for my hatred of Grave Mercy.

    But still... this review. I CAN'T EVEN >.<

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments and every single one makes my day! Check back, because I do reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...