Sunday, 6 July 2014

Review: Take Back the Skies by Lucy Saxon (bird brains EVERYWHEREEE)

 
18963158
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Release Date: June 5th
Pages: 378
Source: For review
Purchase: The Book Depository
Read it in: 3 1/2 hours
Word Rating: *stabs book* DIE, DIE, DIE!

Catherine Hunter is the daughter of a senior government official on the island of Anglya. She’s one of the privileged – she has luxurious clothes, plenty to eat, and is protected from the Collections which have ravaged families throughout the land. But Catherine longs to escape the confines of her life, before her dad can marry her off to a government brat and trap her forever.
So Catherine becomes Cat, pretends to be a kid escaping the Collections, and stows away on the skyship Stormdancer. As they leave Anglya behind and brave the storms that fill the skies around the islands of Tellus, Cat’s world becomes more turbulent than she could ever have imagined, and dangerous secrets unravel her old life once and for all...
.

This book... *stabs eyeball*  *changes mind and stabs book instead* *headdesks repeatedly*...I have no idea where to start with my wonderland rabbit hole long list of complaints and frustrations!

I think what most got a big massive hornet in my top hat (c'mon...admit that it's way more creative then, 'bee in my bonnet') was that this book HAD SUCH A PREMISE.  It could have gone far in the world, if it worked.  It could have FLOWN, DUCKED AND DIVED around the bookish world and people far and wide would have loved it...BASICALLY IT COULD HAVE BEEN GREAT, BUT BEFORE IT DID, IT FLEW UP WAAAAY TO HIGH, WHERE THERE WAS LITTLE OXYGEN GOT DISORIENTED AND SMASHED IT'S STUPID BRAINS OUT ON A PASSING AEROPLANE.  IT DIED A LOOOOONG MISERABLE PAINFUL DEATH THAT WE ALL HAD TO WITNESS AND GO THROUGH BECAUSE WE READ IT.

BUT.  (YES.  THERE IS MOOORE.)  The bird book didn't just die from Adrenaline Junkie Turned Aeroplane Decoration (aka BIRD BRAINS EVERYWHERRRRE!), it also died from one of the most useless MC's EVER, Cat.  I spent most of the bird book convinced that Cat was a three year old disguised as a fifteen year old.  Don't laugh!  It's true!  It frustrated AND embarrassed me, because I'm the same age as Cat, and I could not FOR THE LIFE OF ME see myself doing anything Cat did, or making the same decisions as Cat did.  NUH, UH.  Her behavior was so juvenile, I couldn't relate to her at all.


 The plot was non existent unless you count making STUPID plans that you know aren't going to work, but of course the characters are to dumb and don't listen to your frustrated howls through the kindle. (THIS HAPPENED MORE THEN ONCE.)

There was so much sexism in this book that it made me choke.  The love interest, Fox, is SO full of it and is convinced that a women's place is in the kitchen and that she shouldn't be allowed to have adventures because you know, IT'S DANGEROUS.  I spent about 80% of the book fantasizing about Fox dying in many painful ways.  Funnily enough, Fox actually DID die.  It was the highlight of the book for me even if it was done really badly.  Whatever.  HE'S DEAD.  I'm happy.   

The ending was just idiotic.  Nothing made sense and then the wedding???!!!  WTH was with that???!!!  

Overall this book was a disaster.  It's safe to say I WILL NOT be picking up the sequel.

***Thanks and hugs for Bloomsbury and Netgalley for letting me review this book!***

Rating
0.5/5 Stars


Who else has read Take Back the Skies?  If you did, did you: enjoy, hate, despise, or want to run over it's guts?! (Guess which one I chose!)  Tell me what you think!!

17 comments :

  1. This book! Ugh! I was feeling nice do I gave it 2 stars but still...there were so many things that drove me nuts. Firstly, the romance. I can't even...
    And don't even get me started on that ending! Great review, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Sam!! I was a bit worried that I'd book bashed a bit, but in the end that was how I felt about it and I think it's most important that I'm honest. :)
      Oh sweet lollypops, I KNOW. I was going to go over the romance but decided no one would be able to decipher my frustrated angry gibberish so I left it out. ;) THE WORLD IS SAFE. XD

      Thanks for commenting!! x)

      Delete
  2. Hm . . . I've heard a lot of awful things about this one. Think I'll steer clear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally in a situation like this I'd go, " Well this was just MY opinion, you should try it to see!" But with this book? NO. Wouldn't recommend. :(

      Delete
  3. lol! Your review was so funny, I can't even....Haha! Bird brains everywhere! Thank you for warning me against this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monique!! Hehe, I though 'bird brains everywhere' was quite funny too ;) It's always good when you can laugh at you own reviews, eh?! x)
      No probs! I wouldn't say 'warned' specifically...but if you don't want to have bird brains smushed in your hair...STAY AWAY. ;)

      Thanks for commenting! :D

      Delete
  4. Ohh, I see you love this one Ella.

    ;) I had similar thoughts, though not so wild...hehe. I have it 1 which I NEVER EVER DO. So obviously it really struck some discords with me. I was really unhappy about the sexism mostly. The whole book just felt half baked. I would've loved to see some more world building that made sense. *shrugs* It's a pity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bwahahaha, yes, MY THOUGHTS ARE WILD. WELCOME TO THE INSIDE OF MY BRAIN. XD
      I hate sexism SO much, and I felt like it was stuffed down my throat a lot in the book :( *stabs book again* And I agree with more world building!! If the world had been built better, I probably would've enjoyed it more. (Though, y'know, if the WHOLE BOOK had been written better I would've enjoyed it more. ;P)

      It is a pity. :( What could have been amazing became aeroplane fodder. :(

      Delete
  5. This is definitely my favourite review of the week, so incredibly honest and so, so funny. Considering she was only 16 when she wrote it, I thought it was entertaining for someone so young and it had promise, but it was so underdone. I wonder if it was left until the author matured and revisited again when she gained some experience, if it could have been revised and improved. I just don't think it was ready for publication sadly. Awesome review Ella, absolutely loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *blushes and bows* Awww, thanks Kelly! x)

      I just felt like it was hardly edited AT ALL, and was just such a scattered read. Cat couldn't keep her mind set on ANYTHING, and in almost every chapter, she'd changed her mind to something else. >:| MAKE UP YOUR MIND GIRL. STOP BECOMING A BIRD BRAIN. *whacks book*

      I was really surprised that BLOOMSBURY of ALL publishers published it too *raises eyebrows* It's not like them to let something out so badly edited :/

      *tackle hugs* Thanks for following me by GFC!! Made my day! :)

      Delete
  6. I love you and you're blog! That was hilarious! I'm sorry you didn't like it and I hope the next book will be better! Thanks for following me! I you and your blog is made of awesomesauce so of course I am following you back! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeeek, thanks Briana!! :D That's so nice of you!! :) *tackle hugs*

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  7. Oh gosh, I'm sorry this was such an awful read for you, Ella! I agree that it really has wonderful prospects and from reading the synopsis I, too, would imagine it to be a read I'd really enjoy, but I couldn't get into it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *stabs book again* No, this wasn't a pleasant read :/ It could have been great...but it became smushed gloop instead. SO MUCH TELLING INSTEAD OF SHOWING. *attacks book with sword*

      Delete
  8. I totally agree with you there, Cat acted so incredibly juvenile and Fox was so sexist and why were they even a couple again? I just thought that other dude coming onto here so heavily was absolutely disgusting *throws up* but then look what happens in the end with a massive F YOU to the readers, gotcha there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat and Fox were possibly the worst YA couple in book history, ick! X( Fox instead of getting better, got worse, and he was so controlling over Cat, it was such an unhealthy relationship. >.<
      And what WAS with that prince guy?! Creepy stalker, much?!

      Thanks for commenting, Jeann!! :)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments and every single one makes my day! Check back, because I do reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...