Wednesday, 9 July 2014

Review: Appaloosa Summer (bad horsey memories surface)

22020296


 Publisher: Self Published
Release Date: June 15th 2014
Pages:Umm
Source: NetGalley for review!
Purchase: The Book Depository
Read it in: 1 1/2 hours
Word Rating: Winsome

Sixteen-year-old Meg Traherne has never known loss. Until the beautiful, talented horse she trained herself, drops dead underneath her in the show ring.

Jared Strickland has been living with loss ever since his father died in a tragic farming accident.

Meg escapes from her grief by changing everything about her life; moving away from home to spend her summer living on an island in the St. Lawrence River, scrubbing toilets and waiting on guests at a B&B.

Once there, she meets Jared; doing his best to keep anything else in his life from changing.

When Jared offers Meg a scruffy appaloosa mare out of a friend’s back field, it’s the beginning of a journey that will change both of them by the end of the summer.



The Terrible Horse Tail Tale Fiasco

So before I get on with the review,  just want to share why I don't like horses.  Horses scare me.  Why?  Well, once upon a time when I was three, I was feeding a MASSIVE horse a carrot (it didn't need the carrot) and it was so in love with the stupid carrot (I don't like carrots now either) that in it's hurry to get it in it's gullet as soon as possible, it mistook my finger for the carrot and bit it REALLY hard.  And the stupid animal would. Not. Let. Go.  It's not funny!  The horse just munched on my finger oblivious to my pain filled ear splitting howls.  Bloodthirsty animal.  I'm convinced it comes under some evil-horsey-bloodthirsty-psychopath-horse-thing.  DON'T JUDGE ME.  That's how my three-year-old brain worked.  (It still works like that to be honest.)

To this day, I still do not understand why someone would want to ride or enjoys riding those things.  I have legs, thanks, and I prefer NOT to be jiggled around like a sack of spuds.  Plus, what if you fall of???  BRAINS SMUSHED EVERYWHERE, THAT'S WHAT.  And, no.  my opinion of horses has not changed whatsoever, if you're still wondering. ;)

The Actual Review

Appaloosa Summer is a hard book to review as while it was a sweet read, it was kind of a empty no fodder tail (har har, I am hilarious) tale at the same time.

I related to Meg quite well, which I was really surprised about.  You'd think a girl obsessed with horses and also grieving about a horse (can you hear the disgust in my tone?!) would have about as much in common with me as a toothpick (and, no, I have nothing in common with a toothpick, unless you count when the urge to stab an annoying character or person with it, comes) but I generally liked her and felt sorry for her.  (I didn't feel sorry for the horse, though.)

The romance was sweet and I thought Jared and Meg suited each other well.  They both helped each other get over the other's loss (Jared's Dad, Meg's horse) and were good for each other. Nothing is worse, then when relationship is poisonous, but Jared and Meg didn't have that.

I wanted to learn more about Slate the best friend.  Slate was only in about 1 chapter of the whole book and the rest we saw of her, was her texts.  Sloane sounded like a really good friend, and as there aren't many good friends out there in YA fiction, I would've liked to see her feature more. 

The horse stuff (I don't know what to call it, other then 'stuff', lol) while there, wasn't a massive factor which I was relieved about.  I don't speak horse tongue, but thankfully it was toned down to a minimum, and I managed to piece out the little bits of it with my awesome language guessing skills. 

I also felt like it was more novella sized then novel sized as well.  I read it in about 1 1/2 hours tops, and it felt very quick.  It was all a cute sweet read and everything, but still felt short.  I couldn't find anywhere on my kindle or goodreads the length of it in pages which annoyed me.

All in all, while this was a sweet read, it was a nothing read at the same time.  It involves horses, grief, young love (*throws up violently* yep, I'm still a grossed out three-year-old at heart XD), hope, friendship and happy ever afters.  Unfortunately I didn't really 'click' with it, so it's only going to be a 3 star book.

My review might have read a bit over the place but I was just a little unsure what to say, so thanks for bearing with me peoples! :)

Rating:
3 stars out of 5



Have you read Appaloosa Summer??  Anyone else had bad horse experiences??  (I want to know!!) And tell me(the most important question, obviously):  How do you feel about horses???  Think carefully here, Wonderlings...

10 comments :

  1. I'm weird about my feelings for horses because it's a strange mix of love and fear.

    Love, because they're one of the most beautiful animals on the planet (STOP PROTESTING ELLA) and because I've always wanted to ride a horse at a gallop with the wind in my face. It's the epitome of freedom. ;)

    Fear, because they're ginormous. And sometimes they rear and buck and kick. And I really don't know how to read a horse's feelings.

    One time my horse stepped on my foot (it was in a shoe don't worry) and it hurt but I forgave her because she didn't mean it and took it away quickly ;) I've never learned how to ride though. Also, one time my aunt plopped me on one of her gentlest horses and set me loose in the front yard. Color me terrified. I didn't fall off though. #victory

    Okay, now I'm rambling. I seem to write extremely long comments when I comment here. Oops XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'M PROTESTING! I'M PROTESTING! Naaah, if you like horses, you like horses and I think it's lovely that you love horses...just don't expect me to be sympathetic if you get hurt by one of those murderous beasts. You'll be met with a, "Well, I DID tell you..." and a link to this post to remind you ;)

      I DON'T CARE IF YOUR FOOT WAS IN A SHOE. IT STAMPED ON IT. EVIL ANIMAL.

      I LOVE YOUR COMMENTS! They always make me smile and laugh and I adore how long they are! ;) KEEP BRINGING THEM ON!

      Delete
  2. Should I be laughing at your tail...erm, tale? (we're both very punny) Well, I am laughing. I can't say I've ever had such a traumatic experience with a horse :P

    I'm surprised you even read this, to be honest, given your history with the beasts :) but I loved all your comments in brackets throughout the review hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LAUGH?? HOW DARE YOU LAUGH AT MY TRAUMATIC TALE??? *sobs in corner* Hehe, I *kind* of think it's a bit funny, and everyone I tell it to, thinks it's HILARIOUS. (No one feels sorry for me obviously ;))

      I was distracted by the title, actually! I was like, "Appaloosa sounds like a cool word! I wonder what it means?!" and then my finger clicked the request button without meaning too, and then I looked at the blurb, looked up Appaloosa (which ended up being some horse thing, mega disappointment overload!) and then I got approved, and then I read it and then I reviewed it ^.^ Da da dum, the tale of a tail!

      Thanks for commenting! :D

      Delete
  3. Horses...ick. *dramatic shudder*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *nods furiously* Yes, yes, YES! Couldn't agree with you more!

      Delete
  4. oh you poor thing Ella, that must have been a traumatising experience and I can see why even now you would have a fear of horses! I love horses, but good on you for reading a book about them lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I WAS VERY TRAUMATIZED. I mean, how evil can a horse be, to think a three-year-old's finger was a CARROT?! AN EVIL ONE, THAT'S WHAT.

      Delete
  5. That's terrible, no wonder you're not keen on horses. Usually most fears stem back to a bad childhood experience. you poor little poppet. I've got the same fear about birds. I'm not too keen on any animal that can trample me, they can be so wild and unpredictable.

    Jiggling around like a sack of spuds, not only true but that's hilarious. Awesome review Ella, sorry you didn't enjoy it more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To this day, I still get terrified and completely freak out when I feed a horse. I WANT TO GET PAST THIS I DO, buuut, it's difficult. :| Doesn't help, that I still see them as some demon thingy...I really need to get past that :/

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments and every single one makes my day! Check back, because I do reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...