Tuesday, 13 May 2014

Top Ten Tuseday: Ten Books I Almost Put Down But Didn't (involves some good, some bad and some terrible)

It's my first time participating in Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and the Bookish!  Pop over to their blog to learn more about it!  This weeks topic is: 


Top Ten Books I Almost Put Down But Didn't.  

 


1.)
Formally Shark Girl

15754477

When I got this book out of the library, 1) I had no idea it was a sequel, and 2) it was written in poetry.  THE HORROR.  I HATE BOOKS WRITTEN IN POETRY.  Weirdly enough though, I actually really enjoyed this one.  I almost gave up at the beginning, but pushed on until I realized I was starting to enjoy it!  Once I got past the poetry hitchedness (is that even a word?) and some things that were a bit tricky to understand because I hadn't read the first book, this book and I became good friends. ;)


2.)
Wild Awake

18044620

OH MAN.  I still regret the hours I spent on this book.  I'd thought I'd adore it so much I'd want to marry it, buuuuuut instead, I hated it.  In fact, I hated it so much I wrote a letter to it.  Anyone interested in me posting it on the blog?  Do not waste your time with this book.  You will regret it.



 3.)
The Things We Did For Love



13138763


THIS BOOK WAS SO DEPRESSING.  EVERYONE DIES.  THE END.  DON'T READ IT. 

4.)
Storm Glass

 6453847
After ADORING Poison Study and Touch Of Power, I thought I'd love this one.  Wrong!  From the first chapter, I struggled and struggled, AND STRUGGLED through this book like it was setting cement.  I finished it, just, and was disappointed...but also really relieved it was over.  I wanted to DNF more times then I could count.

5.)
Severed Heads, Broken Hearts

16097364 

This book was great...until the middle then it went down hill so fast, like you wouldn't believe.  Was so disappointed that I almost gave up but I did want to see what would happen in the end  so I finished it and still disliked it strongly.

6.)
Pivot Point

11988046

If there's ONE  thing you need to know about me, is that I HATE flash backs and switching chapters.  This book was full of them.  Throw in annoying characters, no plot, and ta daaa!  You get Pivot Point.  Which was a pity, as I LOVED her book, The Distance Between US.  Nearly DNF in the middle, but struggled on to the end.


7.)
Finding Jennifer Jones



18482238


I kinda liked the first book, and I only read this one (the sequel) because I was curious to see what would happen to Alice/Kate.  Unfortunately, this book and I did not get on.  I really, really, REALLY disliked Alice/Kate and she was just...silly.  Yep.  That's the word.  I almost gave up about 3/4 way through, but I really wanted to see what happened to Alice/Kate in the end, so I pushed on.  It was a waste of my time.


8.)
Croak


11836538

I only got this book out of the library because I'd heard it was good and very, very, VERY funny.   It wasn't.  The humour wasn't great at all, and I didn't like the main character Lex.  While I like characters that aren't typical Mary Sue's, I don't like bullies either.  I felt like Lex's bullying behaviour was a stupid excuse 'because she felt different'.  Listen, girl, you might not know this, but everyone feels awkward or different at some time in their life.  Just deal with it.


 9.)
The Wrap Up List

13429646

I think the only reason I didn't put this book down, was because it was pretty short.  But it was CONFUSING.  Nothing made sense, and it was just a really, really, REALLY weird book.  Unsatisfying too.  I almost put it down at the end, but managed to carry on to the finish line.


10.)
Scarlet


11983940

This book is the worst on my list.  I just HATED it.  It had one of the worst love triangles I have ever read in my whole life and COMPLETELY ruined the tale of Robin Hood for me.  In Scarlet, Robin (who goes by 'Rob' *pukes*) is abusive, Scarlet is anorexic (she throws up almost everything she eats, and when she does eat, only takes a few bites, before she says she's 'full'.  Yet somehow even without hardly eating anything, she still has the energy to fight and walk/run everywhere without feeling tired or dizzy.  THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN IN REAL LIFE.  Man, if I went without one meal, I wouldn't have the energy to finish my schoolwork, let alone fight to the death!  *shakes head*  If you haven't guessed yet, I care about food very much.  I almost gave up reading this so many times, but I just kept going, hoping it would get better.  Obviously, it didn't.  I still mourn the hours I lost reading this book.







That's my ten!  Has anyone else read any of my list?!  Leave a link to YOUR Top Ten Tuesday!

18 comments :

  1. I haven't actually read any of these books, but that cover for Wild Awake is so gorgeous. I'm sad that it was a disappointing book. I've heard of Severed Heads, Broken Hearts, but haven't actually gotten around to reading it. Don't know if I will now.

    My TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover for Wild Awake is frabjous, but the inside is most definitely NOT.

      Thanks fr commenting!

      Delete
  2. I am happy that I wasn't the only one who decided to do the ones I wish I'd put down. I liked Severed Heads, Broken Hearts for the most part but I did think it went down hill at the end. The others are ones I haven't read, most I don't plan to, and now I'm a little nervous to get to some of them that are on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your post was awesome and SO funny to read! :)
      Yay! That's exactly how I felt over Severed Heads, Broken Hearts (which I also think is a stupid title).

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. As a Robin Hood fanatic I was interested to read Scarlet, but I'm a lot more dubious now! Great list!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scarlet just RUINED Robin Hood for me for LIFE.

      Delete
  4. I've read so many great things about Wild Awake! Although I haven't checked it out myself yet, not even sure what the story's all about, so sure I'd like to hear you talk about it?

    Also I loved Kasie West's The Distance Between Us (the first title I've read from her), and I'd like to check out her other novels. I'm not so sure I like Pivot Point's genre though, so I'm staying away from it for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Distance Between Us is probably the only contemporary that I've LOVED. I was really sad that Pivot Point and I just didn't get on, but oh well. There's always The Fence to look forward too ;)

      Delete
  5. Ah, I laughed at your summary for The Things we Did for Love- it almost makes me want to read the book because it does, admittedly, sound very interesting. EVERYONE dies? Wow. I think I'm going to have to check that out and see for myself! (You inadvertantly sold me on a book you disliked, Ella.)

    I read Severed Heads, Broken Hearts in December (I think) and didn't like it all the way through, though it felt really readable to me, which was peculiar. By the end I really disliked it, but it's one of the few books I read even though I didn't enjoy it. I generally just put them down if that happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I TRY SO HARD TO TELL PEOPLE NOT TO READ IT, AND ALL I'VE DONE IS CONVINCE YOU TO READ IT??? I HAVE FAILED.

      Okay, I tell a lie, two people survived, but out of a WHOLE village, I still count that as everyone dying. It was such a frustrating read with SUCH a bad ending. Urghh. Just thinking about it now starts to make me angry.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
    2. Two people survived? I'm a little less excited (that sounds like a strange thing to be excited about to begin with, but it really does intrigue me as to how this comes about and what happens, ect.), but I still plan to read it. We'll swap in depth thoughts once I have, I hope? xx

      Delete
    3. Yes, yes, YES! That sounds like a frabjous idea! :D

      Delete
  6. I really enjoyed Looking for JJ, buuut nothing's ever prompted me to pick up the sequel. Oops. But sounds like I'm not missing much. ;) I actually haven't even read many of these books! Okay, take that back. NONE. I've officially read none. o.O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only read the sequel out of curiosity because I still dissatisfied about the murder as I felt like I still didn't know the whole story, but, urghhh. NOTHING HAPPENED.

      Delete
  7. I haven't read any of these, but I love your sometimes snarky commentary on them! Interesting insights into Scarlet. I've been meaning to read it, but the anorexia thing may put me off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you!! :D

      Anorexia should stay in the present, not in the past. We get enough of that in contemporaries and I feel like we don't need it stuffing up historical fiction. That's what I think anyway. :)

      Delete
  8. P.S. Do you mind a respectful suggestion? Put up a button to follow on Bloglovin. I'm still on GFC, but the gadget isn't not letting me add you, so I'll manually follow on Bloglovin (which is how I'm following most people these days, anyway.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reminding me! I kept forgetting. ;)
      Oooh, I wonder why the GFC thingy isn't working properly. I'll check it out. Thanks for the suggestion! The Bloglovin button is on the side bar now :)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments and every single one makes my day! Check back, because I do reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...