Monday, 19 May 2014

Review: The Fearless by Emma Pass (The writing is like my hair: tangled and knotty on occasion)

After reading Emma Pass' first book Acid and adoring it,  I was excited to hear that she had another book coming out The Fearless and was even more excited when Netgalley approved my request to review an eARC!!!   Thank you Netgally and Random House for letting me review this title! (I love you very much.)




18160146


Publisher: Random House || Release Date: 24th April 2014 || Genre: paranormal,  soft-scifi, post-apocalyptic || Series: None (I think)  || Source: Netgalley, for review! || Pages: 400 || Read It In: 2 hours || Word Rating: Confusing and tangled



The Fearless. An army, powered by an incredible new serum that makes each soldier stronger, sharper, faster than their enemies. Intended as a force for good, the serum has a terrible side-effect - anyone who takes it is stripped of all humanity, empathy, love. And as the Fearless sweep through the country, forcing the serum on anyone in their path, society becomes a living nightmare.

Cass remembers the night they passed through her village. Her father was Altered. Her mother died soon after. All Cass has left is her little brother - and when Jori is snatched by the Fearless and taken to their hellish lair, Cass must risk everything to get him back. ~Blurb from Goodreads~
.
 ~Review~

I finished The Fearless within a couple of hours and came away feeling annoyed, dissatisfied and disappointed.  I guess after enjoying Acid so much, I expected great things The Fearless which I didn't get.

I think what I most disliked was the multiple points of views.  My bookish heart despises multiple points of views.  They confuse me, they're never used correctly (in my eye) and urghhhh, I just hate them with a passion.  In The Fearless we have the point of view of Cass (idiot), Myo (bigger idiot), and Sol (secret psychopath).  While I could've just coped with both Cass and Myo's point of views, I could see no point in Sol-the-secret-psychopath's point of view.  I personally think the story would've been better if it didn't have Sol's demented ranting on how Cass was his (his property) and he would KILL anyone that crossed him.  I mean C'MON.  How could no one else in the book see that he had a screw loose???

Cass was a weak main character.  She runs away with Myo a total stranger WHO WAS CAPTURED FOR TRESPASSING IN THE FIRST PLACE AND WHO PLANNED TO LEAVE CASS BEHIND AT THE FIRST POSSIBLE MOMENT AND HAS SOME PRETTY DIRTY SECRETS.  But of course, he doesn't leave Cass behind, and then he starts to develop feeeeeeeeeelings for Cass.  Of course. *throws up*
Myo was an idiot and pretty much made out of cardboard.  I didn't like him not once during the whole book and wished he'd die more then once.

The writing was all over the place.  It reminded me off my hair on a really bad day: knots and tangles for miles and the rest so frizzy it looks like I've shoved my finger up an electric socket.  NOT FUN.  The writing would be slow, then everything would be rushed and then slow and then rushed again.  SO confusing and annoying.

The whole 'Fearless drug' idea didn't really ring true.  It basically turned you into a silver-eyed human demon but the whole idea was a bit off.  Interesting but needed to be thought out more.


All in all, The Fearless was a confusing and disappointing read.  I might have expected to much from it, but I didn't expect it to be like this.  Fans of dystpian and soft-scifi might enjoy this book.

~Rating~
2 stars out of 5


Has anyone else read The Fearless?  Did you enjoy it, or find it disappointing and confusing like I did?
Does anyone else suffer from electric-socket-hair?!!!




2 comments :

  1. Noooo, sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy it as much as ACID! I'm looking forward to this one, and multiple povs don't bother me THAT much i guess. lovely review!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments and every single one makes my day! Check back, because I do reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...